Is there a non-destructive method to replace the door within this frame?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll describe how to put a frame in but only if it's what your doing.
Thank you. It seems that almost everyone in this thread is suggesting changing the frame, so that's the advice I'm likely to follow.

I've watched several videos on YouTube and have a general idea of what installing a new frame involves. The challenge with those videos is that they usually demonstrate how to install a frame into a relatively straight doorway. I would be surprised if my situation is that straightforward.

I have just realised that having finished my doors saga back in August I forgot to say HUGE THANK YOU for all the advice and confidence boost I received in this and my other thread.
I greatly appreciate all the advice and support I received.
Thank you very much to everyone who participated. My only regret now is that I have run out of doors to install :) I was just getting the hung of it.

On the up side the architrave is off. Easy to remove lining as a whole by cutting fixings, I guess cut nails into wedges, traditional fixing method in the day. If architrave on other side carefully remove and cut between back of lining and plastered edge. I use the eclipse general purpose blades for such jobs with adjustable handle, only done a couple like this but worked perfectly. Also seen done with recip saws, quicker if you got one! Once cut lining just slipped out. Normally cut nails in pairs and aprox 5 prs per side, never found any in head. refit plumbed up.

Last edited:
On the up side the architrave is off. Easy to remove lining as a whole by cutting fixings, I guess cut nails into wedges, traditional fixing method in the day. If architrave on other side carefully remove and cut between back of lining and plastered edge. I use the eclipse general purpose blades for such jobs with adjustable handle, only done a couple like this but worked perfectly. Also seen done with recip saws, quicker if you got one! Once cut lining just slipped out. Normally cut nails in pairs and aprox 5 prs per side, never found any in head. refit plumbed up.
Hello @Housey210
Thank you for the advice. I had actually completed that job a while ago, as mentioned in my previous message. The overall method I employed aligned with your description (except I used a multi tool to cut nails, just because I have access to one). It's reassuring to know that the approach I used is not unique and is generally an acceptable way of detaching the frame.

Back