Newbie: Am I doing something wrong?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for the advice from CHJ and Dalboy.
As regards the turnmaster tool, even though it has interchangeable cutters they will still need to be sharpened from time to time. It is a fundamental principal that when two objects come into contact with each other there WILL be a transfer of material from both objects no matter how hard they are. over time this will dull the edge of even the most durable tools.

You do not say what other tools you have but I suspect that if they came with the lathe as a set then they are probably a cheap poor quality set that are not up to the task. As many will tell you it is always best to get the best quality tools you can afford. Cheap tools will blunt too easily and is the cause of many people giving up shortly after starting. Spend some time learning how to sharpen the tools properly (there are numerous sharpening jigs available to help) and they will reward you with hours of fun and satisfaction.

Managed to zoom into the picture of your tools using ctrl and mouse wheel.

The top 2 look like scrapers which can be used for both bowl and spindle work.
The 3rd one down is a parting tool as previously mentioned
The next one is a bowl gouge as stated
2nd from bottom looks like a skew chisel which is for spindle work (not easy to master but worth the effort)
bottom one looks like a roughing gouge (as stated do not use on bowls)
Please note these may not be correct identification so don't shoot me if I'm wrong

May be worth looking for a couple of spindle gouges which can be used for both spindle and bowl work.

Once again try to get the best your wallet will allow.

Thanks again Procell for taking the time to have a look and reply. Greatly appreciated....Spindle gouges it is then....Since visiting these forums I've seen a lot of things I'd like to try making, especially the easy stuff. I quite like the idea of honey dippers. What tool would you suggest and of course the best wood?

procell":23w1yqy1 said:
Managed to zoom into the picture of your tools using ctrl and mouse wheel.

The top 2 look like scrapers which can be used for both bowl and spindle work.
The 3rd one down is a parting tool as previously mentioned
The next one is a bowl gouge as stated
2nd from bottom looks like a skew chisel which is for spindle work (not easy to master but worth the effort)
bottom one looks like a roughing gouge (as stated do not use on bowls)
Please note these may not be correct identification so don't shoot me if I'm wrong

May be worth looking for a couple of spindle gouges which can be used for both spindle and bowl work.

Once again try to get the best your wallet will allow.

Sorry but a bit of a rant: Please do NOT call it a "roughing gouge" as it only perpetuates it's miss use by beginners. It is a SPINDLE Roughing Gouge and as the correct name implies should only be used on parallel grain timber.
Thanks. Rant over :)

As identified beforehand, to my eyes interpretation of the image it's a continental style Spindle Gouge, might by the look of it even be an older hot forged carbon steel version.

Modern versions can be had from Sorby amongst others.
spg1.jpg

A spindle Roughing Gouge has a much thicker wall and upswept sides, sometimes even more pronounced than this image and with a much narrower flute.
hs3150.jpg

Image taken from Here

Attachments

• spg1.jpg
    spg1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 548
Left to Right.
DSCN4692m.JPG

1. HSS Spindle Roughing Gouge, should never be used on a bowl blank where End Grain is likely to be encountered, risk of tang snapping or bending if catch experienced.
2. Continental Style Spindle Gouge, older examples likely Carbon Steel modern ones usually HSS, again should never be used on a bowl blank where End Grain is likely to be encountered.
3. Typical HSS Spindle Gouge, Round Section Spindle Gouge can be used on end grain, shank in handle is stiff and strong as in a HSS Bowl Gouge.

Attachments

• DSCN4692m.JPG
    DSCN4692m.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 510
Thank you CHJ.......After taking advice from here and watching many turning videos, I've spent some time in my shed today on my lathe, between launching and recovering the Ramsey Lifeboat on exercise, and I must say things are a lot easier and I can see some actual progress, so once again a great big thank you from me for all the input....

Mr Mannanan":3jcyriua said:
Thank you CHJ.......After taking advice from here and watching many turning videos, I've spent some time in my shed today on my lathe, between launching and recovering the Ramsey Lifeboat on exercise, and I must say things are a lot easier and I can see some actual progress, so once again a great big thank you from me for all the input....

Nothing to do with turning but well done on being a volunteer for the life boat certainly a worthy cause.

This is one of two charities that I support the other being The British Heart foundation The first due to my mum being part of a Fund raising unit down here in Kent. The second due to me being a heart attack patient on more than one occasion.

Thanks.....Being a born and bred "Brummie" it was odd to find that I have sea-legs....Been living on the Island 13 years now and been volunteering for ten of those. Retired off the boat last year because of my arthritis but am still part of the shore crew....

Back