new chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peter Sefton":1vs4tx3q said:
... we are more than happy to price match other tool retailers, ...
Risky! I see lower prices in many places. Just google the model if you want lowest prices.

Jacob":205e0gkc said:
Peter Sefton":205e0gkc said:
... we are more than happy to price match other tool retailers, ...
Risky! I see lower prices in many places. Just google the model if you want lowest prices.

The thing is..... Yeah if you shop around online one can always find cheaper prices but they will almost always be from huge retailers who wont chat with you asking what the tool is going to be used for, give you advice on the best tool for the job, you will be served by an employee who, chances are dont know the first thing about the product they are selling and couldnt care less if you buy it or what you are going to do with it.
I personally dont have much money and have to save hard for what I get so im always looking for the best deal but dont mind spending a little extra for the customer service, advice and help provided and to support small businesses provided by retailers who use this forum.

Oh yeah and to answer the op... AI bevel edge bench chisels are awesome I have a set of 11.

Peter Sefton":3c68y0uc said:
lurcher":3c68y0uc said:
i am going to take mr seftons advice on the chisel front simply because i didnt no sorby still made bench chisels
so next stepp is to try and find some in the sale a set of 5 will do me fine .
wiil add a couple of ashley isles for the more refind work
thank you all for your imput and advice
lurcher

It's good to hear the forum can play it's part in promoting the British tool makers, we are more than happy to price match other tool retailers, please let us know if we can help or otherwise enjoy your new years present.
Cheers Peter

99% of my kit is British and I live in the US. Homegrown Brits ought to be ashamed of owning anything but. IMO, of course.

All my hand tools are British except for one ECE scrub plane (scrubs aren't a British thing) and one Narex chisel (cheapest available "paring" chisel, nothing special about it). And one Diston hand saw of no particular quality. Er, I'll probably think of others.
There is a huge surplus of old good quality kit available 2nd hand in the UK - almost no need to buy anything new! We are still living in the tail end of the age of wood.

Jacob":d6er6tau said:
All my hand tools are British except for one ECE scrub plane (scrubs aren't a British thing) and one Narex chisel (cheapest available "paring" chisel, nothing special about it). And one Diston hand saw of no particular quality. Er, I'll probably think of others.
There is a huge surplus of old good quality kit available 2nd hand in the UK - almost no need to buy anything new! We are still living in the tail end of the age of wood.

Do you own any Stanley planes? Stanley are American BTW, hence my asking :wink:

MMUK":2o4st7a3 said:
Stanley is a multi-national company. A "Made in England" Stanley is British - surely?

Record planes were almost exact copies of USA Stanleys. Record breast drills were almost exact copies of Millers Falls breast drills. They were made in Britain, that makes them British in my books.

Cheers, Vann.

MMUK":3pkt50vq said:
Jacob":3pkt50vq said:

All made in England - except for one USA no7. I'm not making a point or anything - just an observation.

MMUK":rsj92qfg said:
Jacob":rsj92qfg said:

No, I don't. I have a Stanley brace, a Stanley doweling jig, and a Stanley marking gauge (all US made Stanley). That's all the Stanley I own. They are part of the 1%. Saws, planes, chisels -- all Record, Marples, S&J, etc. Some of these items were bought on UK Ebay and even with shipping to the States were still a great value. I do have a big Ulmia turning saw, but my small bow saw is a Marples.

well there was a change of plan i just got a nice set of ashley isles from peter and i will be looking forward to many years of fine service .
1st job is a jewelry box for my grandaughter and 1 for my daughter inlaw .
i hope to get me a 4.1/2 marples plane and a no 3 this year to complete the line up so if you see any please let me no.
lurcher

Jacob":1glij9f0 said:
MMUK":1glij9f0 said:
Jacob":1glij9f0 said:

All made in England - except for one USA no7. I'm not making a point or anything - just an observation.

I see your point Jacob but even though a lot of the stuff was Made In England, the company has still always been American owned. I guess it's just a different point of view on the fact but to me that doesn't make Stanley English, even if the stuff is made here.

MMUK":3grmp6bl said:
...but even though a lot of the stuff was Made In England, the company has still always been American owned. I guess it's just a different point of view on the fact but to me that doesn't make Stanley English, even if the stuff is made here.
That's an interesting perspective.

I guess that makes WH Quangsheng planes English, because the company that owns them (Workshop Heaven) is English - even though manufacture is carried out elsewhere :-k :-s

Cheers, Vann.

lurcher":3fdmfixh said:
well there was a change of plan i just got a nice set of ashley isles from peter and i will be looking forward to many years of fine service .
i hope to get me a 4.1/2 marples plane and a no 3 this year to complete the line up so if you see any please let me no.
lurcher

Congratulations.

It is nice to use nice things. I get a certain thrill even though the task could probably be done by something less refined but much cheaper.

It seems you have made a good decision based on the forum opinions.

Would be interested in your thoughts as a user once they have settled in.

Mick

lurcher":f14j71hl said:
lurcher

Thanks for the order today, sorry I didn't get chance to speak to you myself as I was running a sharpening course which kept us busy till 6 ish tonight. I am sure you will enjoy your AI any help required with them give us a ring, Garry has a set of them himself and I have 7 sets plus my own in the workshop used on a daily basis and think they are great.
Cheers Peter

MickCheese":32vsgzup said:
It seems you have made a good decision based on the forum opinions.

Would be interested in your thoughts as a user once they have settled in.
What he says.

Cheers, Vann.

lurcher":mwo8b7wo said:
lurcher

Enjoy them Lurcher. Sounds like they're being put to good use, too. 8)

Vann":1lsgxk9u said:
I guess that makes WH Quangsheng planes English, because the company that owns them (Workshop Heaven) is English - even though manufacture is carried out elsewhere :-k :-s

Cheers, Vann.

That's a new one for me. Does Workshopheaven OWN Quangsheng? I do know that Quangsheng supplies every woodworking retailer with planes these days under many names. Woodriver in the US. Juuma and Dick's planes in Germany. Peaktool in our country, etc etc.

Btw, I am a fan of British tools too. Mostly the antique stuff. British saws are the best!

Corneel":19iiczsu said:
Does Workshopheaven OWN Quangsheng?!
No but they own the specification QS work to (I assume - or else the tools would be the same at say Rutlands QS planes)

Peter Sefton":19iiczsu said:
Matt... ...is not the owner of QS unless something very major has happened that i am not aware of. I think a little misunderstanding may have crept in here.
Peter I'm not suggesting for a minute that Quangsheng planes really are British. Just like I don't believe for a minute that Stanley (UK) planes, made with British labour, in a British factory, from steel & iron processed in Britain, and with British beech handles - aren't British - as MMUK is suggesting.

At what point does a product become British (or American, or Chinese)? The Stanley company might not have been own by the British, but there's no doubt in my mind that the planes produced in Britain by them, are British.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":1tszxtos said:
Corneel":1tszxtos said:
No but they own the specification QS work to (I assume - or else the tools would be the same at say Rutlands QS planes)
I don't believe this rumour of different specs from different sellers.

Jacob":33d7utqj said:
Vann":33d7utqj said:
Corneel":33d7utqj said:
I don't believe this rumour of different specs from different sellers.
Not a rumour. You only have to look and compare to see the differences.
Workshop heaven have bronze lever caps etc, rutlands chrome, and woodriver (usa versions) chrome plus the block planes have knuckle lever caps ala stanley sweetheart planes.

Something i wish our uk sellers would stock is the QS shoulder plane :)

Latest posts

Back