new chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People spend lots of money on all sorts of sht: like fancy mobile phones. I'm still using smoke signals. Cheap.

MIGNAL":fs3hafpc said:
People spend lots of money on all sorts of sht: like fancy mobile phones. I'm still using smoke signals. Cheap.

I would too but unfortunately I live in a smokeless zone :mrgreen:

MMUK":3sr9sije said:
Harbo":3sr9sije said:
Here we ago again with the same old drivel - the OP has old chisels and wants to buy some new ones!!

So why are people banging on about not spending money?

Erm, isn't that what the forum is for? Airing one's own opinions? If the OP didn't want to hear these opinions I doubt he would have started the thread.

No disrespect to the OP, but maybe the thought of revitalising his current stock hasn't crossed his mind as a serious prospect? Maybe he's of the ilk that thinks new is better?

I know I've made this mistake myself several times. I've had money burning a hole in my pocket and I've seen something new and shiny so I've bought it. Then I find out that it's not as good as my old one.

Or just maybe he likes new things AND quality? There are some of us like that and it isn't a mistake... It is a preference. I know myself, I have many tools that are a much higher quality and caliber than the work I am capable of, but that by no means takes away from the enjoyment I get from using these tools, even though the job they do is the same as is capable with a cheaper tool.

I think nobody here thinks they work better with a high priced chisel than they do with a lesser expensive one, but some of us can afford the tools that put a smile on our faces AND still do the work they are called to do...

The OP asked a question and some choose not to answer, but lecture instead...

Judge me as you will for this...

could anyone explain the problem in spending your own hard earned cos I'm a simple man and am struggling with this - I say buy the best quality chisels that you use regularly and use the old tat for opening paint cans

happy new year folks

Bobbybirds - perfectly put. I also derive pleasure from using tools that many would say are far in excess of the skill of the user (me). The OP asked what tools he could buy with X budget, not what is the most financially sensible option. This forum is indeed about sharing opinions, but when a fairly direct question is asked, it can be seen as trolling to question that query.

Going back to Blue Spruce, the paring (and dovetail) chisels are certainly more suited to delicate work, but their bench chisels, with acrylic impregnated handles, would take a malleting in their stride. And anyway, if they never received a chip or a scratch, they would stop being tools and simply become objects to look at.

As an aside, does anyone have any experience with Harold and Saxon chisels? Interesting looking handles in a range of Aussie timbers, and some more unusual steels.

Cheers,
Adam

bobbybirds":juhvpmg6 said:
The OP asked a question and some choose not to answer, but lecture instead...

Judge me as you will for this...

I did not lecture, I offered my personal opinion. What's wrong with that? :roll:

i want some new tools as i stated i am giving away to my sons some of my woodwork tools included are some chisels
I AM OF THE ILK that i have some faithfull butt chisels that cost £16.00 and they are good tools i am not a your normal tool tart i am selling my ferreting things that are worth £250.00 so rather than fritter it away i want to buy some nice tools .
most of my clothes come from charrity shops i dont have lots of cash to waste on dung so for once i want to treat me if you have a problem whith that then tuff go and preach on your own bench .
lurcher

I don't think I was preaching lurcher so I suggest you climb back into your pram.

If you wish to spend your money on expensive chisels then good for you. All I did was offer my opinion. And guess what? That's what you can expect on a forum. If you can't handle that possibility then don't post. Simples :)

I don't think anyone's preaching here, just offering there opinion and (as sometimes happens) forgetting the original question

Me, I think its your cash but if spending lots on a quality tool, you don't want to get it wrong and buy expensive rubbish - that's what the original question was I believe

And Lurcher, when you get those chisels, I need to pop over and try them as well :wink:

marcus":ptmgyja2 said:
If it was me I would get a set of Robert Sorby 166's (boxwood carving handle). I think this is probably a minority taste, but I like them, they feel nice in the hand, the steel is good, they are a good compromise between delicacy and something you can smack all day with a mallet if you want.

http://www.flinn-garlick-saws.co.uk...dge_Chisel_-_Boxwood_Carving_Handle.html#a282

I've used mine most days for almost ten years and they've absorbed every thing I can throw at them....

Marcus it's good to see you have the Sorby 166's and they have been good for you, they are a very traditional English chisel much the same as the Marples Boxwood chisels with leather washers that I bought as an apprentice and served me very well for years. As you say designed for slightly heavier work than prehaps the AI.
We stock the 166 but find we don't sell very many, they are about £5.00 more expensive per chisel than the Ashley Iles. As I understand it the Sorby have a much bigger following in the USA. where most of their business comes from. We do sell more of the 241 Boxwood Paring chisels that I feel are very good value for money.
Cheers it's always good to hear long term users' views Peter

We have had opinions from 'do nothing' right through to 'go buy super expensive Blue Spruce'. Absolutely nothing wrong with giving any of those opinions. Get it into some sort of balanced perspective: no one got seriously hurt offering either of those extreme positions and of course the OP is perfectly free to pick and choose as he wishes. Even though it doesn't directly answer the original question, 'do nothing' gives the OP the option of rethinking whether or not he really needs a set of new Chisels. He may still want a new set though. He will hardly come to any harm from taking any of the answers into account.
It's no big deal.

Peter Sefton":x71jq3oa said:
marcus":x71jq3oa said:
If it was me I would get a set of Robert Sorby 166's (boxwood carving handle). I think this is probably a minority taste, but I like them, they feel nice in the hand, the steel is good, they are a good compromise between delicacy and something you can smack all day with a mallet if you want.

http://www.flinn-garlick-saws.co.uk...dge_Chisel_-_Boxwood_Carving_Handle.html#a282

I've used mine most days for almost ten years and they've absorbed every thing I can throw at them....

Marcus it's good to see you have the Sorby 166's and they have been good for you, they are a very traditional English chisel much the same as the Marples Boxwood chisels with leather washers that I bought as an apprentice and served me very well for years. As you say designed for slightly heavier work than prehaps the AI.
We stock the 166 but find we don't sell very many, they are about £5.00 more expensive per chisel than the Ashley Iles. As I understand it the Sorby have a much bigger following in the USA. where most of their business comes from. We do sell more of the 241 Boxwood Paring chisels that I feel are very good value for money.
Cheers it's always good to hear long term users' views Peter

I do like the look of those Sorby 166's. The handles look so much nicer and more comfortable than the Iles ones. Something for me to consider next time I'm in the market for BE chisels.

a pram tut tut i am on here because some people are clever i worked most of my life for english herritage not some armchair wood butcher if you cant handle the reply dont post simples

Jacob":gmq8v4yw said:
Dunno I think you are probably better starting off with cheapies. It's even more frustrating when you have state of the art kit and still can't it do what you want and you've sharpened off loads of metal. Conversely it can be pleasing to actually get things done with cheap kit - perfectly possible in spite of all the flannel.
What they say about Stradivarius violins is that they are no use at all until you are very competent. Stretching it a bit but it is similar with some tools.

I'd err on cheapies... Old 5002 is probably the way to go. As for 5001... I think one'd be better off buying Ashley Iles/Two Cherries, they are probably the same price.
But then cheapies are actualyl more versatile than finer ones: thick sidelands are good for mortising too 8).
Sam

Lurcher - several people have mentioned Ashley Iles mark 2 b/e chisels, and I have some that the family bought me for a 'significant' birthday a couple of years ago. I'm really impressed with them - they're quite light and balanced to use, and will take a bit of a malleting, but they are a cabinetmaker's bench chisel. For joinery work, I'd prefer something a bit more solid, like AI's firmer chisels.

I know judging these things from websites is a bit fraught - not like handling the actual tools themselves - but Ashley Iles do have quite a comprehensive web store - http://www.ashleyilestoolstore.co.uk/in ... x&cPath=50 - and I note that they will supply new chisels unhandled. That might be a way to get a good set of new chisels for a slightly better price than ready-handled ones, and gives those who prefer different handle patterns the option of effectively a 'bespoke' chisel. Ray Iles (The Old Tool Store) offers several different patterns of handle in different sizes, but there's always the option of home made, of course.

Cheshirechappie":2n1eok61 said:
Lurcher - several people have mentioned Ashley Iles mark 2 b/e chisels, and I have some that the family bought me for a 'significant' birthday a couple of years ago.

How many times have you been 21 now then? :wink:

MMUK":dsbe82bn said:
Cheshirechappie":dsbe82bn said:
Lurcher - several people have mentioned Ashley Iles mark 2 b/e chisels, and I have some that the family bought me for a 'significant' birthday a couple of years ago.

How many times have you been 21 now then? :wink:

Plenty.... :oops:

lurcher":2ufk24yg said:
hi fellow artisans i have a budget of £150.00 to spend on a set of new chisels i have a set of bacho which have served well. and alot of old chisels which are useable but through my disssability i am selling all my ferreting things which should make
£220.00
so i would be greatfull for any advice
thank you and a happy and safe new year to all of you

The problem with woodworking is that you need tools to do it. Once you share your intention to shop with the rest of the world it's usually downhill from there. I can promise that you need fewer tools than you'll usually be advised to buy. As far as 'brands' go, if you go with a well-known manufacturer at least you won't be able to blame the tools. You can certainly spend less and still have very serviceable tools, but if you're prone to buyer's remorse then go all out on the front end.

The better British brands are still great. No real reason not to support them.

i am going to take mr seftons advice on the chisel front simply because i didnt no sorby still made bench chisels
so next stepp is to try and find some in the sale a set of 5 will do me fine .
wiil add a couple of ashley isles for the more refind work
thank you all for your imput and advice
lurcher

lurcher":2ozstep7 said:
i am going to take mr seftons advice on the chisel front simply because i didnt no sorby still made bench chisels
so next stepp is to try and find some in the sale a set of 5 will do me fine .
wiil add a couple of ashley isles for the more refind work
thank you all for your imput and advice
lurcher

It's good to hear the forum can play it's part in promoting the British tool makers, we are more than happy to price match other tool retailers, please let us know if we can help or otherwise enjoy your new years present.
Cheers Peter

Back