New 1/2 inch Router required under £300

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerBoyle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys My site Router has finally died a Bosh GOF 1900. Unfortunately it waited until I was partway through routing a masons mitre for a customer.
I shot off to screwfix, but all I could get that was in stock was the Erbauer ERB380ROU 2100W Router 230-240V.

Unfortunately its going back tomorrow as its just not good enough for my needs, The plunge was sticky, Limited depth as well. Dust extraction was non existent and far to much play in the screws that held the guide bush and dust extraction hood in place . Its got a good motor in it though :mrgreen:

I've discounted Bosh, Festool and the Makita. Festool and Makita I've tried but wasn't overly impressed with. The Bosh was rejected on its Price as I believe its over priced by £100

So I need to pick up another router for Saturday my choices are the Triton TRA001, Hitachi M12 or the Dewalt DW625

Most of the work will be on all various types of Worktops with the occasional bit of woodwork on a woodrat
So of the 3 what do you guys think

Thanks
Roger

I have a Triton TRA001 it's done lot or work faultlessly. Can't compare because I've not had any of the others on your short list.

The times I've used a Hitachi in the past I found it a great no nonsense workhorse. Cant comment on the others.

I have the TRA001 in my router table and am more than happy with it. I did a table build in which I did comment on the plastic base plate and depth stop part way down the 1st page

router-table-build-t90615.html

It may be worth a special look at the depth stop to see if this has been modified. I did engage with Triton over this issues although the base plate was replaced there was never a final reply regarding the depth stop.

As the depth stop is not used when the router is table mounted for me it was not a problem but I would not have accepted it for freehand use.

Possibly it may fine now, but worth checking :idea: Also the router is a heavy beast :!: :!:

I have a Triton, Bosch, 2x Draper Experts, Hitachi M12V2, and M12VE, for a masons mitre on a worktop I would only use the Hitachi M12V2, I am impressed enough to have two of them, solid in the hand and heavy enough to give confidence when using them on a worktop jig.

Mike

I have the triton TRA001 mounted in the table, and it's fantastic - in a table.

If I'm honest, I wouldn't touch it out of a table. The height adjustment mechanism is an awful plastic contraption that feels like it's going to break any minute. It's also very heavy and unwieldy.

The fence plate also has scooped areas that make it hard to keep flat for some cuts.

The dewalt 625e is basic but a model thats been around 30 years or so as it started life as an elu. I dont think build quality is quite as good as it once was but still a good tool.

Ive used the makita and that is quite a solid performer

Well guys thanks for the comments
I'm going to go for the Hitachi MV2 while it wasn't on the list it does look to tick all the boxes. Unfortunately screwfix don't do this model. so a quick look around to get best price and get it ordered now. I need it overnighting or I may have to borrow my mates Bosch lol
Thanks for the advice
Roger

The only place you will get one overnight is from Amazon, but it will not be the cheapest.

Have a look at this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/28191986 ... 095&crdt=0 I have one in my router table, done a lot of work over the past four years and has not missed a beat, the V2 is just that bit heavier so is more stable on the jig, but you can't have everything.

Mike

My Triton is great
The on/off is a bit of a flaff when hand held

However remember Triton went bust and then arose from the ashes who knows what the bean counters did in the meantime.

My machine is from the original firm
It would be interesting to compare it with current offering

Off at a tangent: am interested in the masons mitre you are discussing
Pictures, plans ???

Roger

I notice you are south derbyshire.........not sure how close that is to Loughborough but if you want to look at mine or use it to finish this job, you are welcome.

My Makita is still going strong after many years use and is built like a tank. Wouldn't even begin to guess how many masons mitres it has done but i don't think the new ones look as solid as my old one, so if i was in the market for a new one i would definitely be looking at the Hitachi.

lurker":2bewf31l said:
Roger

I notice you are south derbyshire.........not sure how close that is to Loughborough but if you want to look at mine or use it to finish this job, you are welcome.

Just the other side of Ashby from you in Swadlincote.
Many thanks for the offer but I've arranged to get my mates Bosh if I need it
I've got a bity more time now as the customer phoned earlier and said the plasterer was late by 2 days so the walls are too wet and can they put me off until later on in the week the only time I've got free is either next Friday and the weekend or the week in between Christmas and New Years eve
Si its now been put back to next Friday.

The masons mitre is simply the joint between the two pieces of kitchen worktop But if your free on Tuesday your more than welcome to come across to my job and have look at how to do one

skipdiver":2bewf31l said:
My Makita is still going strong after many years use and is built like a tank. Wouldn't even begin to guess how many masons mitres it has done but i don't think the new ones look as solid as my old one, so if i was in the market for a new one i would definitely be looking at the Hitachi.
They don't feel as solid either that's why I've rejected it. My son in law's father has one. Again its got a powerful smooth motor but I just didn't like the feel of it and to be Honest as I was using it I couldn't help but think that it wouldn't last as long as my old Bosh had

I bought the dewalt today. I had the makita for 12 years and it was brilliant. Unfortunately it was nicked out of my van. I went to my local tool shop with every intention to buy the Hitatchi, but side by side with the Dewalt I liked the dewalt more. Also, the hitatchi has a small aperture in the base and I have a few really big cutters.

Back