Need some help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
from the diagram on the manual you posted a link to it looks as though the wheel should come off by removing three bolts marked 2.79 on page 18, top of the page. You can see the adjuster, It is possible it has been wound up so far it no longer connected to the adjuster rod. Thus would make the blade appear too short. Turn the handle anticlockwise (assuming a standard thread) to bring it back down (you could try this before removing the wheel), I suppose it is possible the thread is damaged and will no longer engage but with the wheel off you will be able to see what is going on. Mark the position of the wheel in relation to the shaft so it goes back the same way round and in balance. All is easy to see in the diagram on page 18.

So I took the wheel off. The adjuster was rusted solid, gave it a good clean and a whole lot of wd40. And hey presto it started moving. I used this opportunity to clean all the dust off.
I put it all back together and guess what- same problem.
So armed with a bit more confidence, I took the bottom one off, hoping for a simple solution, cleaned all the saw dust off it, found the balancing device, loosened each bolt by half a turn, pulled it out gave that a clean and notice at the back end there is a female thread!!!
So I put it back in, put a bolt in the female thread and tightened all the bolts back up!
Put the blade on and hey presto it works.
The only problem is that I can't get the motor back on with this bolt on!
So I assume that someone has replaced the belt with a bike or even a lawn mower belt and removed the handle that is suppose to help with adjusting the speed as it was in the way.
So I need a new belt and motor height adjuster. I will do a video when I get a chance (and whilst waiting for parts) to show people how to adjust the balance if needed and to finnish this thread off. Feel like a pro now! Lol

Sounds like you're getting there now. I admire your perseverance !
The blade tensioner needs to move the wheel up and down- is that part fixed now ? You'll be able to offer to fix other people's bandsaws after you've got yours sorted ;)

Coley

ColeyS1":39uiph14 said:
The blade tensioner needs to move the wheel up and down- is that part fixed now ? You'll be able to offer to fix other people's bandsaws after you've got yours sorted ;)

Coley

Yes tensioner works brilliantly

jase158":1oc6i87u said:
ColeyS1":1oc6i87u said:

Coley

Yes tensioner works brilliantly
Happy days ! Did you get any sleep last night :lol: does the blade still throw itself off, or is that next on the list ?

Coley

I was just about to post that the tensioner is either detacheed or siezed but you got there, great, that's progress and should see the light at the end of the tunnel now. =D>
Motor belt should be a problem and as the tensioner was seized it's likely the motor mechanism hasn't been maintained either, so plenty of wd 40 or similar and some very gentle persuasion to get it released will do the trick. The motor is heavy to lift upwards so easiest is a lever under it or a car jack while you're gently levering the belt over the pulleys. I presume yours is the 2 speed same as mine so it has to be kept moving freely.

I had thought a previous post mentioned checking that the top wheel adjuster was working properly or I would have suggested that earlier.

The 352 is a very good bandsaw which has stood the test of time, I used to sell them to industy in the eighties and they were one of the most popular industrial machines available at the time - weren't cheap either

cheers
Bob

Can someone post the motor leverage system picture please?
Mine seems to be missing loads of bits!

1am I went to bed!
The blade stays on but the belt won't go on with the bolt in!
If I include the bolt the belt won't go on
If I remove the bolt and put belt on, I can't get the bolt in.
I have added some pictures!
If I change the speed of the belt so it is on the bigger belt wheels, I can't get the belt on.
So the belt seems too big for the smaller wheels and too small for the bigger wheels!
2nd pic is with bolt in but belt won't tighten up.
1st pic is with belt connected but bolt removed as you can see the hole is impossible to get bolt in

Attachments

• IMG_1496.JPG
    IMG_1496.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_1497.JPG
    IMG_1497.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 338
The belt goes on the bigger motor pulley to the smaller wheel pulley or vice versa, if you are going big to big then it would explain the problem.

Pete

6999th post!

Got to feel for the OP who has to learn as he goes though will stand him in good stead for the future. The bandsaw could probably have been set up over the time it takes to drink a cup of coffee if only there was someone close to his location.

When I got mine I spent half a day stripping it down, lubricating and setting up and no just minimum maintenance.

6999th post!
Go on Steve post a decent joke for your 7000th :lol:

Racers":3gqonwiw said:
The belt goes on the bigger motor pulley to the smaller wheel pulley or vice versa, if you are going big to big then it would explain the problem.

Pete

6999th post!

But the big and small ones don't line up!

jase158":19og4rwm said:
But the big and small ones don't line up!

Doesn't make sense unless you've moved the mountings when you took it off which is unlikely. If it was on before then it will go on again!

surely someone's got the same machine and can take loads of pictures for him ?

i'm happy to do that but I'm busy all week and at Harrogate Saturday so Sunday ould be the earliest I could think about it. Mine would benefit from a strip down and clean anyway.

Is the bottom pulley on back to front?
On diagram it says it is! But diagram isn't very clear

Attachments

• IMG_1499.JPG
    IMG_1499.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 316
So I now feel like a bit of an silly person as I went out to see what I could see!
And found 4 bolts to loosen, slide the motor over and hey presto the belt fits!

So finally I have a blade that will stay on, a belt that will stay on and a machine that works, (I powered it up to try it), thanks to everyone who has helped me and hung on through the 6 pages!
I definitely needed this as now I know exactly what each bit does and wether the band saw is doing what it is suppose to be doing.

Finally I need to adjust the guides, which I feel pretty confident doing but as I stated earlier one of them is really shot!
I have attached a picture, should I replace this or grind it down with an angle grinder and grinding disc?

Once again, thanks everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_1500.JPG
    IMG_1500.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 504
Really pleased for you ! Fair play for not giving up and sticking with it ! I'm not familiar with those guides as mines got bearings. Enjoy using your bandsaw [WINKING FACE]

Coley

ColeyS1":1dsp0vo3 said:
Really pleased for you ! Fair play for not giving up and sticking with it ! I'm not familiar with those guides as mines got bearings. Enjoy using your bandsaw [WINKING FACE]

Coley
I like the idea of bearings but the upgrade is £80 per guide!

Yours will be fine, just I've only ever used ones with bearings before.

Coley

jase158":efrc4c2m said:
AES":efrc4c2m said:
@jase:

With all due respect, you sound to be in the same position that I was a while back - i.e. knowing virtually nothing at all about band saws.

And as you've already found out, if you don't know what you're doing (again, all due respect - my missus always says that no one ever fell down from heaven knowing everything about something!), then sorting things is going to be, at the least, rather frustrating.

In my case I bought Steve Maskery's Band saw DVDs. He's a member here.

After watching his stuff a couple of times I now approach setting up and using my band saw (a horrible cheapo little thing, especially compared to yours) with complete confidence AND safety. And I still refer to it sometimes, after at least a couple of years.

In short I highly recommend that you invest the 20 or so quid from Steve (Google "Workshop Essentials")

I promise you that you won't regret it - on the contrary.

I have absolutely no connection with him/his company other than as a very satisfied customer, and BTW, there are numerous members here who will agree with all the above.

Best of luck (and BTW, it sounds to me as if your wheels are maybe not co-planar - says he "knowledgeably" - AFTER consuming Steve's wise words that is!).

AES

DVD Bought, Hope you dont work for him! :wink:
only joking

I have received DVD! Seems a little pointless watching it now :wink:

Back