Need some help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jase158

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I just got a right bargain, startrite 352 band saw, £250,

Opened it up when I got it home and blade wasn't sitting right, so I tried moving it and now can't get it to stay on.
I need someone with a bit of experience to come and tell me what is required to get it working.
Happy to pay for time and parts, just need someone with a bit of experience, near Aylesbury.
I am thinking new wheels. Definitely doesn't need balancing as always pops off front even if I over balance or under balance it.
Seems to be popping off bottom wheel and staying on top wheel.

In what way wasnt the blade sitting rigth to start with?

If it was tracking before you adjusted it, it will again.

Back off your guides and spin blade by hand to see if comes forward or back, adjust tracking accordingly.

How are the tyres, if worn or dipping in centre they may need changing or re truing.

Do the tyres have a camber?

RobinBHM":edvc167z said:
In what way wasnt the blade sitting rigth to start with?

If it was tracking before you adjusted it, it will again.

Back off your guides and spin blade by hand to see if comes forward or back, adjust tracking accordingly.

How are the tyres, if worn or dipping in centre they may need changing or re truing.

Do the tyres have a camber?

The blade was on the front edge of bottom tyre, half on, half off.

What is tracking?
All guides are completely back or removed, still comes off!
Top tyre is smooth, bottom tyre is very rough, I can't see a camber but think the bottom one is culprit!

There is a knob in the middle of the top wheel that adjusts the tracking, small adjustments make a big difference, turn the top wheel by hand and tweak the knob.

Pete

So, I am definitely thinking new tyres, new blade, new guides as they are shot and couple new locks! Not such a bargain! Any ideas where to get parts?
Just took some photos

Attachments

• IMG_0109.JPG
    IMG_0109.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 795
  • IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 795
  • IMG_0107.JPG
    IMG_0107.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 795
  • IMG_0108.JPG
    IMG_0108.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 795
Racers":111g6ii0 said:
There is a knob in the middle of the top wheel that adjusts the tracking, small adjustments make a big difference, turn the top wheel by hand and tweak the knob.

Pete

Yeah I tried that, doesn't matter how much I turn it, blade falls off after 3-4 turns of the wheel, always comes off the bottom wheel.
I loosen that knob, put blade on, tighten knob to centre it top and bottom of wheel (so about half way) tighten tensioner slightly. Turn wheel one turn and blade on bottom wheel moves from centre to front edge, if I tighten balancing knob the blade falls off, if I loosen balancing knob, blade falls off!

Tyres look fine to me and i doubt they are the problem anyway. Something is misaligned somewhere. You sure you haven't got your blade tensioning knob and your tracking knob mixed up?

Nothing wrong with those tyres. If the knob in the centre does not tilt the top wheel then that's the cause of your problem. Place a level vertically on the top wheel and adjust the knob, the bubble should move to either side as you go from one extreme to the Other, if it doesn't the tracking system isn't working. MachinsSpares normally have exploded diagrams of the Startrite stuff, they bought the rights, tools and patterns for Startrite spares on older machines.

Also check that the blade is under tension before rotating the wheels.

It sounds like tracking to me.

The blade might come off bot wheel, but its the one that adjusts to keep blade on both.

It doesnt have to track dead centre of wheels, it just needs to run and stsy in one place.

The top wheel should alter angle when tracking and move up when trnsioning.

Tyres look fine to me.

You need to put the blade on the wheels, then tension it, which is the knob on top of the bandsaw (on mine it is anyway) then you need to slowly turn the wheels by hand while turning the tracking knob, which is the one at the back of the machine where the top wheel is. The tracking knobs should alter the angle of the wheel relative to 90 degrees one way or the other depending on which way you turn it. If the blade starts to come towards the front of the wheels, turn the knob the other way until it starts to go back again. Stop when it is in the correct position but keep turning the wheels with your hand until it stays put in one spot. If the tracking knob is not doing that, something has come loose or broken.

This is frustrating the first time you do it, no doubt of that. It requires tiny, tiny adjustments to tracking and correct tension. If the blade looks like it's coming off, rotate wheels backwards a tiny bit, adjust tracking, try again. Rotate very slowly.

Few other small points.

The blade, unless brand new, you should replace anyway imo. Try Tuffsaws, good blades and good advice from them if you're unsure which to buy. The blade you have should be fine for setting up though.

The tyres are sort of replaceable, but as they are vulcanised rubber, it might not be cost effective to do so. Wheels complete with new tyres, last I checked, were about £90+VAT each. Good news is, the tyres look fine and this doesnt sound tyre related anyway.

The guides, unless the machine is very high mileage, are unlikely to be shot, assuming they are the originals. If they have worn, you can flatten them again on something like a 125 grit diamond plate. Takes ages, but is worth it.

Steve Maskery's DVD's are a very good thing to have if you're new at bandsaws.

Did you do anything to the bottom wheel? You must NOT move the bottom wheel. If you did, then you have a job on your hands putting it back exactly where it was.

All adjustments are on the top wheel only.

@jase:

With all due respect, you sound to be in the same position that I was a while back - i.e. knowing virtually nothing at all about band saws.

And as you've already found out, if you don't know what you're doing (again, all due respect - my missus always says that no one ever fell down from heaven knowing everything about something!), then sorting things is going to be, at the least, rather frustrating.

In my case I bought Steve Maskery's Band saw DVDs. He's a member here.

After watching his stuff a couple of times I now approach setting up and using my band saw (a horrible cheapo little thing, especially compared to yours) with complete confidence AND safety. And I still refer to it sometimes, after at least a couple of years.

In short I highly recommend that you invest the 20 or so quid from Steve (Google "Workshop Essentials")

I promise you that you won't regret it - on the contrary.

I have absolutely no connection with him/his company other than as a very satisfied customer, and BTW, there are numerous members here who will agree with all the above.

Best of luck (and BTW, it sounds to me as if your wheels are maybe not co-planar - says he "knowledgeably" - AFTER consuming Steve's wise words that is!).

AES

This can be very frustrating if you haven't done it before but stick with it because you have what is potentially a very useful Bandsaw.

Thanks to everyone who has replied, Blade ordered from tuff saws, locks will be collected from screw-fix tomorrow!
One of the guides is absolutely cut to pieces so will try and grind it down but not sure there will be much left, anybody know the best place to get one? machine spares seem to have one but I need to ring up. I hate ringing people up! lol

The biggest issue I have is that the wheels that are on the bottom are not level, even if i get them level by securing them back into place as they should be, the floor is not level. So my plan is to make a base/ feet for them! Has anybody got any ideas on what I can use?
Obviously it needs to hold the weight. But space is very limited so can not move it to somewhere that is level!

Back