Need advice for house sign

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keato

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
This sort of belongs in the scroll saw & finishing section though thought I'd put it in the scroll saw one as I'll be scrolling my project.

I've got an order to make a house sign (surname & house number scrolled into it) & since it'll be outside I need some advice on finishing.

The letters/numbers will be scrolled into it in Baskerville font (nice fancy) as I've learned how to do script font easy now.

The customer doesn't mind what wood I use so I have a LOT of approx 1" sapele in stock, some 1" maple and some 1/4" oak. I found an oak post in the finishing forum with some suggesting teak oil, tung oil & Danish oil.

Do those still apply to any wood, including the ones I have in stock? Just need to make sure it's weatherproof.

Also if anyone knows what sort of fixings I should put on the back which will allow it to be attached to a wall (could be pebbledash or brick) that would be awesome :)

Cheers,
Jamie

PS if anyone is needing to see the design to help advising let me know and I'll post it :)

I would have said using Danish Oil, but I would try and dipping it.

Or at least get a plastic bowl large enough for it and pour the Danish Oil all over it, then take it out and rub down with a lint free cloth.

This way the oil will penetrate into all the internal cuts, I would repeat the process 3/4 times. letting it dry overnight after rubbing the excess off with the cloth.

Then use a funnel and pour the remaining Danish Oil, thru a filter, or even the slowly thru the cloth back into its original container.

Or you could just use a brush and liberally apply loads of Danish Oil all over, and wipe off the excess.

Pilot drill some holes either end and then drill them bigger for screws, counter sink the tops a little.
You could even make your own little wood plugs for the screw holes to hide the screw heads.

Just my 2 penny worth, hope others can provide better ideas.

Okay that's 2 votes for Danish Oil

I'll see what more peeps say as I've had a customer tell me the Danish oil went rancid after a few weeks but then the rancid smell went away.

The only tools I have are a dremel (for drilling pilot holes for scrolling), the scroll saw itself, a power drill, detail sander & belt sander.

I might be getting a router soon but not sure yet as it's being bought for me so need to wait and find out if I'm definitely getting one. That'll make life easier but for now can only drill holes straight through.

Here is the pattern I made. & I always dip my orders, if they are too big for the container i brush oils on and let them drip back into a container then filter to put back into oil can.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 895
Hi there's some nice raised studs you can buy in various colours i know there not consealed but do look nice in door signs IMO
Try a google search for raised studs
There's also slide fireplace brackets one would screw to the wall and a consealed plate fixes to you sign sliding behind the other plate not sure how this would work with the fret work
I'm sure I've seen a keyhole bracket some ware you would router a small hole in the back position the bracket over the hole. A screw in the wall would hook itself over the keyhole head of the screw through the larger hole sliding down to the smaller hole to secure
Hope something here helps
Jim

Hi Jamie. I will endorse everything Tosey said. I use Danish oil all the time with my out dopor things, nothing wrong with it at all and easy to maintain. Re- the fixing. On my house signs I drill two screw holes and then countersink them, stops people nicking the sign then.

Right, if everyone is agreed with Danish Oil i'll maybe go out and buy some then.

I've got quite a lot of pure Tung Oil, pure turpentine & teak oil in stock but can't find my Danish Oil lol

I'll need to youtube this countersink thing to see how to do it.

Cheers all for the help.

Currently reading the threads on which is the best option for a woodworker to make a simple ecommerce website. Mixed reviews. Wish it was easier to make a decision.

I bought a Tu**erware type container about 18" square and 12" high, poured 4 litres of oil in it and just dipped items in it. Then when it was out of use for a couple of weeks, the oil reacted with the plastic and bottom rounded off like a balloon, the lid popped off, and next time I checked I had a plastic container full of jelly. I've not bought any more oil yet, but I'll be sure to keep it in the bottle next time. :D

Latest posts

Back