Finishes that work for mixed material items

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DomDru

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a jewellery project that has different species and contrasting wood, metal inlay, gold leaf and painted (acrylic) designs. I need a finish that would protect the painted parts, seal the wood from skin oils and play nice with bronze.

1. Any suggestions for a finish?

My first instinct is to use epoxy finish of some sort. Unfortunately I don't have much experience with it. I have small details carved that I don't want to fill in, so my thought is to find a low viscosity epoxy that I could brush into small gaps and have a very thin coat. potentially even soaking into porous wood a little. I don't want colour change due to UV, I'm not sure if that's a thing or not, and I rather not have an extra coat of lacquer to protect from UV.

3. Could anyone suggest a product that would tick all these boxes?

I did some research online and found DIPOXY-2k-700. It has mixed reviews, some people stating it is crystal clear, others saying it yellows. Anyone have any experience using it? My guess it's either overheating or UV exposure even though it should be UV resistant...
I've seen people use TotalBoat Penetrating Epoxy a lot on YouTube. Supposedly UV resistant and fairly good as far as I can tell. Unfortunately it's double the price in UK compare to US and not widely available. Does anyone know a good, reasonably priced place to buy it in UK? Seems like it would tick all the boxes.
I've also found this Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer™ (Smiths CPES™). It supposed to work as a top coat indoors, but I have doubts as it had no UV resistance.

I feel like I've gone too deep into the weeds now, so any help would be really appreciated.

Not a bad shout, but spraying is not going to work as i have crevices that spray will not reach. I really need something i can brush on.

But melamine is not a bad option. Any idea if it would stick to metal ok? I'm little scared that wood finishes tend to peel off metal.

Not a bad shout, but spraying is not going to work as i have crevices that spray will not reach. I really need something i can brush on.

But melamine is not a bad option. Any idea if it would stick to metal ok? I'm little scared that wood finishes tend to peel off metal.
When I have pieces with crevasse, I thin down my product and brush crevices then spray. And yes melamine hybrids work on all those materials when properly prepped. And you can brush crevices.

Back