My Little Workshop...WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glenrob":37rswoi9 said:
G'day Pete (and other Forum members.)

This is my first post here and I just wanted to congratulate you on what you've achieved in building (or renovating) your shed. There's nothing like having your own place to retreat to and creating sawdust to your heart's content.
BTW, I hate referring to our own personal little 'dogboxes' as "shops" If I ever told my missus I was just going out to the shop, she'd hit me with a shopping list for bread and milk before I could even blink....lol.
All the best mate and good luck with your shed. I hope to meet more of my UK wood working brothers in time.

Cheers,
Bob from Oz.

Much appreciated Bob, and welcome :) I wasn't sure about calling it a workshop, with the best intentions I don't know how much work I'll be doing in there. Especially if/once I have an internet connection!
It's referred to the shed at home, our lass even bought me a nice mug and matching plaque, although for the life of me I can't find the plaque.

I have to say, and for as much as I love watching Mr.Fearnley-Whittingstall, if I had 70 acres, the shed would be a fishing lodge :wink:

thick_mike":1p46ss8u said:
Pete, I'm guessing you've had great weather for finding leaks over the past few days!

Thankfully Mike, it's all nice and dry again at the moment :) . The gutters are up on both sides, but I'll wait and see what the next downpour brings.
With a bit of luck, touch wood and fingers crossed, it'll be OK!

I bumped in to the lad who's been doing all work in the local supermarket tonight. But as I went straight from work, I had know idea what to expect once at home. "It's all done" he said, "And we've finished painting the outside for you as well"...I was gobsmacked when I got in, absolutely chuffed to bits. Had a quick sweep up and grabbed a couple of piccies. The walls have been insulated and finnished in ply, except around the door where he used chipboard...The painting starts tomorrow night, and after that's out of the way I can get the sparky in. Hopefully on Saturday, I can build a bench! :)

Nice transformation from a old garage into a good size workshop,will you be making any large pieces ?.

Ah, I see the rut has started. Your wife has alraeady got the chest freezer in there. Who know's what is next. Looking a fine workshop though :)

Thanks again guys for you kind welcomes. Before I go any further I wanted to 'clear the air' so to speak about a problem I have ; this is something I generally keep under my hat, I suffer badly from Depression, but have found some solace in woodworking and the people who are likewise involved in the same hobby. So far the impression I've gotten from the people of this Forum is one of friendship and companionship.

I wanted to get this out in the open from the start so that if my mindset seems to alter no matter how minor, I wanted to apologise beforehand as upsetting anyone by my words or actions is something I hope will not happen here. I am not after sympathy, just a little understanding should something I do or say is out of order. Hopefully this will be the last time I'll need to mention this insipid condition and be able to carry on regardless.

Now where was I? #-o . Oh yeah....our sheds. Pete, yours is really taking shape and looks fantastic. I know you'll have many happy and productive hours there in the future. I read earlier when I first joined this site of a chap who was happy in his 7'x7' place after his family took over the place he thought was going to be his. I have nothing but absolute admiration for him being happy with 'his lot' and it seemed he was determined to make the very best of his limited resourses. On the other end of the scale is this guy from the USA who built his "shop (there's that word again) from the ground up. In all he ended up with a building that has 1344 sq ft of internal space!
Now I don't mean to belittle someone who can and has achieved his ultimate workshop, but I think those who make do with their lot, are ultimately happier in themselves because YOU made it happen and YOU did it YOUR way and it is those people I truly admire.

Anyhow here is the link I promised. Also thank you to DW for that link and I hope I can make use of it soon so I can show you my little part of my world.
I just tried to d/l this link as an active one but wasn't allowed for so reason so unfortunately you'll have to cut and paste it. Sorry for that.

Ok, more bad news when I tried to submit my post I was told I don't have permission to post links or page references. Do worry tho, I'll find a way to get it to you somehow.

Cheers guys and girls,
Bob

No skills":1zakv789 said:
Good for you. Think I'd paint the walls either end and varnish the ply on the sides.

I've been thinking of adding colour, but to start with I'm going to paint, or should I say spray everything white. Haven't used a spray gun before, hopefully it will be fun
and not too difficult. I bought some liquid plastic paint for the floor from Lidl a while back, choice of colour was Grey or Light Grey. A cousin has a tin of Red as backup.

MARK.B.":1zakv789 said:
Nice transformation from a old garage into a good size workshop,will you be making any large pieces ?.

I'll add some before and after shots in a few days, need to tidy up around the outside first. Once I'm up and running there's a few jobs around the house I need to do.
There's a really manky cupboard built in to an alcove in the bedroom, this needs replacing or at least some nice doors making for it. I have a couple of radiator covers
planned, one is straight forward, the other will be more of a challenge. It's in the kitchen against a large blank wall, I'd like to build something along the lines of a Welsh Dresser.
Perhaps the biggest job will be the chimney breast in the living room. I want to build units on both sides with the TV in the middle, but looking as though it is built in, rather than
hanging on the wall. I'd have to put something together in Photoshop to explain, it's all in my mind at the moment!

riclepp":1zakv789 said:
Ah, I see the rut has started. Your wife has alraeady got the chest freezer in there. Who know's what is next. Looking a fine workshop though :)

Can't blame our lass for the freezer :) I had a Cod fishing trip booked last year out of Whitby, bought the freezer believing I would fill it! I caught just the one, but cooked in home made
beer batter, and with chips from spuds our lass had grown =P~ you could still taste the sea! There again, I could have put too much salt on :lol:

An update at last! I haven't been able to devote as much time as I'd hoped, but an hour or so after work each night and the inside is finally painted.
Tried using the spray gun last Sunday, nightmare! In the instructions, the guide line for diluting emulsion was 10-20%, I reckon I was nearer 60%
before the first signs of paint left the gun. After 90 minutes or so I gave up and used the tried and tested method, roller and brush.
The first coat of plastic paint was applied to the floor on Wednesday night, the second coat on Thursday. Friday I had the night off, leaving a good
48 hours drying time.
I began moving a few tools in Saturday afternoon, and upon her return from the hairdressers, our lass was very happy to see the mitre saw and
compressor had finally vacated the kitchen, a long with several items from the dining room, and the living room, and the spare room. Some how,
the house just deosn't feel the same anymore! No doubt, I'll also be asked to remove my fishing tackle to the shed as well :)
Sunday I'm planning to make a start on the bench. Nothing fancy at the moment, just need something I can work from. It suddenly dawned on me this
afternoon, I may be spending more time over the coming weeks organising, building cupboards and stands than actually doing any of the jobs I'd
planned to do once I had somewhere to do them from.
Here's a couple of before and after shots, and It's very white as you can see. Our lass reckons it's the kind of place the "Ice Truck Killer" from
the series "Dexter" would use, especially with the freezer to hand!

Very impressed Pete, one piece of advice is when making places to store your tools I have found it best not to have shelves but have cupboards because after awhile things on shelves get covered in dust so everytime you go for something you get a face full. Also drawers are much better for storing stuff. Just something I've noticed whilst re doing my shed for the umpteenth time.
Mark

wallace":3k1xcxv9 said:
I have found it best not to have shelves but have cupboards because after awhile things on shelves get covered in dust

Definitely, it's on my 'must do' list.

Reggie":2eueyu7c said:
That looks like a great workspace, plenty of ceiling space for storing fishing rods :D

Hello Reggie...I might have to put a few drain pipes up there to store the rods in, wouldn't want them getting covered in dust and cobwebs :)
although a few of them are looking that way at the moment.

wallace":2eueyu7c said:
Very impressed Pete, one piece of advice is when making places to store your tools I have found it best not to have shelves but have cupboards because after awhile things on shelves get covered in dust so everytime you go for something you get a face full. Also drawers are much better for storing stuff. Just something I've noticed whilst re doing my shed for the umpteenth time.
Mark

Hello Mark... :) I have one BIG cupboard planned againt the back wall, mainly to keep none workshop items out of sight. But there will be a shelved unit for paint tins and the like.
I had a thought of building large draws on runners, but decided for shelves and large plastic containers. Haven't really planned the layout as yet for the rest, will probably
bumble along for a while and hope everything falls in to place.
I had planned on putting the mitre saw on a wheeled cabinet. Had it set up on the Workmate this afternoon, it takes up so much space in terms of depth, I may opt for the Bosch
wheeled stand so the mitre saw is upright when not in use. Probably should have bought something more suitable for my needs, and not desires #-o

I began work on my bench this afternoon, plans supplied courtesy of Kreg. The frame is complete although a little naked, and I have an urge to paint it RED :D
The top although not attached is made up of two 4' x 2' hardwood ply sheets, 18mm each. I'll glue and screw these together on Monday night, and fit the bottom shelf.
This is the bench from which everything else shall be created (hammer) :lol:

Latest posts

Back