My Little Workshop...WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG

Established Member
Reaction score
After a very long wait, and as long as it doesn't pour down, the new roof will be going on Thursday afternoon. I started clearing space weekend before last, taking lots of junk down to the tip.
There was some old wooden shelving and metal racking the previous house owner must have built 30-40 years ago. The garage is an old pillar and post, and whilst it is a little tired looking,
it's very sound. You can see day light through the roof in a couple of places, but the floor has always remained dry. That was until last weekend. Hopefully some mastic/sealant should put it right.
Last weekend I decided to be a little brutal with other items, determind to have as much working space as possible. I photographed two bikes, a bike stand, clothes rails, dumbbells, and camera bag
I'd bought in the mid 90's. I put everything on Gumtree, and by Sunday night the lot had gone. All collected by the buyers, except the clothes railes which I delivered for a young couple not more than a mile away.

Monday afternoon I receive a text message saying the roof will be fitted Wednesday or Thursday. I rush home from work and head straight for the garage, armed with a good brew and a packet of Jammy Dodgers.
First thing on the list is to remove all the old wiring, sockets and light switches, but leaving two sockets, one for the freezer and the other for any electric tools that may be required. There's also four,
four foot long fluorescent lights which are suspended on poles resting on the metal "A" frames, and one really heavy light being held up on chains. Four of the ligts are taken down leaving one was a work light.
The next job is cleaning the rusty "A" frames, which I'd planned to do with a pneumatic angle grinder fitted with a round wire brush. I bought the angle grinder with the money from the camera bag and clothes rails.
Twenty minutes in and the bloody thing stopped working! It had been oiled, and I was working at the correct PSI, but all the life in it had left. Plan "B"...Out came the grit blaster and a bag of kiln dried sand.
This is another first for me, never used one before, and I won't be using one again, as tonight, that bloody thing stopped working too. I'd only been an hour since I'd taken the angle grinder back to Machine Mart.
Still, it's all good fun, I was covered in all manner of nasties including a lot of dead spiders and cob webs that we blown or blasted out of all the nooks and crannies...I doubt I'll have time to paint the "A" frames before
the roof goes up, but at least they are now a little cleaner. I was planning on spraying them, but as the spray gun is also from Machine Mart, I have my doubts. I'll have a go and hope for the best.

Here's a few images to get the ball rolling, and hopefully I'll have some of the new roof later on today.

Don't forget the test match today in Manchester, perhaps things will be delayed. Hope you have better electrics in mind!

No interest in cricket, far too many other things to waste time on thankfully :)

So far today...The old roof has come off, and the power supply [Highlighted in Red] has come down, this is going underground, or under the paving slabs.

The first boards have gone up...Insulated boards are going on top of these, with the roof follow. Although the roof hasn't turned up yet! Should've been ready to collect at 8.30 am.
Fingers crossed it doesn't rain, or the old roof will have to go back up!

Looks like a very useable space how big? What is the new roof made from, those 'A' frames look a little weedy, are they upto the job of holding the new roof.

Hello Wallace...It's 19' long and a little over 9' wide. It's going to be insulated and boarded on the inside, so finished inside working width should be 8'6", may be a little more.
The "A" frames are pretty solid, there are five intotal. They've run 3 x 2 the full length and screwd chipboard to the 3x2, with insulated boards fastened to the chipboard.
The insulated boards are 25mm think with foil to both sides. These will be going inside as well.

And on top of everything else, will be this lovely Green box profile.

The roof didn't turn up until 4pm, so they did haven't time to fit it today. Lets hope it doesn't rain tonight!

Good stuff, I like that box profile sheet stuff. I used it on my workshop when I first built it, I did the silly thing of just using the sheet with no insulation (hammer) After the first winter it got insulated and boarded.

Hello Wallace :D Orginally I was after the Spanish Tiled effect, more for the way it looked with our lass in mind, as she'll see more of the outside than I will when she's planting and pruning! But I do like the Box Profile, especially in Green :)

As you'll see in the photograph the roof is now up. There's a few jobs over the weekend I need to do before the lads come back on Monday. There's a few areas I need to seal, and the garage wall needs painting.
I bought some masonry paint in Lidls' a few months back, White or Beige, so I went for the Beige. I bought new gutters this afternoon, so I need to paint the boards they will be attached to.

The door arrived about 4pm, hopefully this wil be fitted on Monday. It's a steel door and frame with a fourteen point locking sytsem. As you'll see in the second photograph it's slightly damaged.
Nothing too serious, the architrave suffered a little knock intransit. The doors are normally £300.00, but for the amount of work I wanted at the price I wanted to pay, the lad did say the door would
be damaged, and only once it was delivered, would we know what the damage was.

That will sort out in a few minutes with a hammer n dolly, out of interest what make is the door?

If it relies on a euro cylinder in the lock get the best one you can find - some of the cheaper ones are terrible.

I'm quite envious of the speed of your build, taken me nearly two years to re-roof mine #-o

No skills":2zals48p said:
That will sort out in a few minutes with a hammer n dolly, out of interest what make is the door?

If it relies on a euro cylinder in the lock get the best one you can find - some of the cheaper ones are terrible.

I'm quite envious of the speed of your build, taken me nearly two years to re-roof mine #-o

Hello No Skills. The company is called "Securadoor", not sure of the lock type to be honest. You get six keys with it,
two blue ones for the fitters which become redundant as soon as you use one of the black keys. I know it's heavy,
takes two to carry it.
I've been waiting about two years, we moved in on the 12th August 2011. A garage revamp company came round in January
and quoted £1500 for the roof, PVC cladding on the front and a new door. The lad doing the job has boarded and insulated
the roof, supplied the roof and door, and he's going to clad the front in PVC, and then board and insulate the inside. All for £1200,
but he is a very old family friend so I reckon he's given me a good price.
He's building a new door frame on Monday, so hopefully when I get in from work the door should be in place and the front will be finnished.
Pictures to follow.

wallace":1z2b0kx3 said:
That's a posh door, what machines are you having inside when finished?

I have a few handtools, circular saw, planner, drills, router, the two big items will be my mitre saw and compressor.
I'm saving up for a table saw at the moment. Had a chat with a lad called Jim from Woodford a few weeks back,
he reckons the new Excaliber range will be in towards the end of this month, may be early next.
I'm hoping to get something along the lines of this little beauty, the TC10RAS. After that, I have a bandsaw and planner/thicknesser
on the wish list, but I'll have to wait a while for one those.

I managed to get a couple of hours in on Saturday and Sunday. Painted the boards for the gutters, and underneath the overhang on both sides. I also had to clear up the debris left over from last week to keep
our lass happy. So in between a trip to the tip, and clearing the gutters out around the car port, I didn't have time to finish painting the outside before rain stopped play. But as you can see, the door is in and the front has been clad. In my excitement last week, I didn't pay any attention to which way the door opened, taking it for granted the hinges were on the left. It now makes sense why the lad wanted to fit it back to front, or inside out! Still, I think it looks bloody marvellous :) Boarding the inside is next, as soon as we've managed to stop the leaks. Once the gutters are in place it will help, but not solve the problem.
I ordered new lights yesterday from Wilkinson's, 6 x 4 foot fluorescents with 36 Watt tubes, these will fit nicely in between the "A" frames. It's going to be bright and loaded with double metal clad sockets :lol: .
I'm well chuffed at the moment, and itching to get in there and start building a bench, and stuff! (hammer)

No skills":3nbhcnh7 said:
Its normally harder to break into an inward opening door than an outward opening door, so there is a plus side. Why is the new roof leaking?

It's not the roof, I hope not anyway. It's getting in at the base, just a bit frustrating when it's been bone dry these past two years. I forget sometimes it is a garage and only sits
on the foundations. It should be sorted in a few days with a bit of luck...I think the lad doing the work was planning on boarding out tomorrow. Don't think he wants or can afford
to spend too much more time on this.

G'day Pete (and other Forum members.)

This is my first post here and I just wanted to congratulate you on what you've achieved in building (or renovating) your shed. There's nothing like having your own place to retreat to and creating sawdust to your heart's content.
BTW, I hate referring to our own personal little 'dogboxes' as "shops" If I ever told my missus I was just going out to the shop, she'd hit me with a shopping list for bread and milk before I could even blink....lol.
All the best mate and good luck with your shed. I hope to meet more of my UK wood working brothers in time.

Cheers,
Bob from Oz.

Welcome to a member from Oz. I recall I think passing through Goulburn 10 year ago, was it not an old Australian railway centre?

devonwoody":15fz2orf said:
Welcome to a member from Oz. I recall I think passing through Goulburn 10 year ago, was it not an old Australian railway centre?

Yes it was actually. Great memory you have there. I've only been here for 7 years now. Initially there were a few old buildings when we bought this place, but I've since built a steel frame kit home and added it to the small original house that we used until I started to get this new house up and habitable.

The first pic I saw of this place on line was of an old delapidated run down house (not the liveable house) that was obviously the first dwelling built here. It was a real horror inside ...... black from floor to ceiling from the soot. They (first owners) must have had an open fire right on the timber floor! I don't know how they managed it but the house never caught fire though there was a decent hole burnt into the floor where the "stove/heater" was situated. It took me nearly a year before I could be bothered to do anything with that old house other than just chuck my stuff in through the door and close it back up again.

I always saw that building as being my wood working shed from day one. So eventually with the help of my mates it has been extended in dribs and drabs over the years to where it's now almost complete, but can we ever say our sheds are finished tho? :roll:
I've got plenty of progress pics I can post if anyone's interested enough to see my run down old 'man cave'.

I'm lucky I guess because we're on a 70 acre property with all the room in the world to expand and the big bonus is that the local councils here don't care what you build or where just as long as it's not another separate habitable dwelling.
I've tried to offer my place to help anyone who doesn't have land to grow vege gardens ( ala Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and his River Cottage) and even to the local schools for the kids to get involved in farming, but no-one wants to take advantage of my offers.

Anyhow, I'll stop rambling on for now. I'm looking forward "meeting" more or my "Pom" cousins (no disrespect intended). My grandparents were British and my mother re-married a lovely Scotsman who has sadly passed on.

Cheers chaps,
Bob (your 'convict cousin' from the down under Colony..... #-o )

Back