Mortice chisels, which sizes ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryS.

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Got one of these :
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=577195&name=morticer&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=44

With it I bought the axminster cheap set of chisels. Got my 10% axminster voucher so looking to upgrade to Japanese chisels :
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-...n-Mortice-Chisels-and-Bits-Imperial-22410.htm

Just wondering, would 2 of them be enough ? Guessing that different sizes only mean a different rate of getting the wood out (and obviously the smallest dimension that chisel can do). Or do people generally have more or less ?

thanks

Hi Paul. If you can afford to go for only two then, I reckon you should go for the ¼" and ½"... Maybe 3/8" instead of the ½".

In theory, you can use smaller chisels to cut wider mortises in two passes. The reality is that in doing this, you will be creating uneven wear on the chisel (a bit like removing the set from one side of a bandsaw blade when you're cutting a lot of curves). This can affect the accuracy of the cut but, you could always re-grind them if that time comes.

I don't think you're likely to need the big 5/8" chisel if you're only making small furniture. You'll probably use the 3/8" more often.

What chisels have you got in your Chiwanese set? If you can 'get by' with them, is there anything in the Japanese range you don't have?

I don't own one, but I'd want to cut my mortices in one pass. i.e not using a smaller chisel to get a wider cut.

I have found that when using a small chisel to make a wider cut the chisel can stray towards its unsupported side and give a taper on the second pass cut. I would only do this if the mortise was more then twice the chisel size so I could cut the corners and and then the long grain edges leaving a supporting block in the centre that is cut out in one finishing pass. Having said that, I have only done that once and was using a more rigid 5/8 chisel anyway.

A 3/8" and a 1/2" will do for the vast majority of projects. Don't be tempted to buy a cheap set. Quality, not quantity is what counts. A good comprise are the Axminster Japanese-made chisels in the £20-25 range. :wink:

PS If you already have any Chinese ones- just scrap them.

thanks for the advice everyone, apologies for delay in responding I've been away with work.

CNC - I'm planning to make some garden furniture (table, chairs)

After the advice have decided to go for a half inch japanese from axminster for now (as I plan to do sizeable mortices for the garden items), will then add something smaller when I come round to a projec that needs it

thanks again everyone

Back