Sharpening Hollow Morticer Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pollys13

Established Member
Reaction score
Axminster do a set of diamond cone morticer chisel sharpeners.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/diamond-cone ... ner-502458
These only process up to 13mm size. My Draper chisel set includes a 5/8 size?
Also whats the procedure for sharpening the chisels auger bit?
Cheers.

I understand Clico here in UK used to do a sharpening set up to 1" though they are no longer trading. If I can't locate a chisel sharpening set up to 1" or the cost to me is prohibitive.
I think I can double cut width with a 1/2" to get a 1" mortice? So don't need to use or consequently sharpen the 5/8" size.
Can I combine the chisel sizes to get multiple cuts/widths or does it not work like that?
I know about selecting, a hand chisel to the nearest size required.

You also need to consider the cone angle, I took the risk and lost, but then it was only a couple of quid.

You can sharpen the internal bevel on larger chisels with some abrasive paper wrapped around a bit of dowel.

Sharpening the auger can be done with an auger file, but as these are almost impossible to find these days you could use a needle file, a slipstone, or a thin strip of abrasive paper superglued onto an appropriately sized wooden stick.

None of this is difficult, just hold the tool in a vice (so it's not wobbling like it would if you held it by hand) and proceed slowly taking care to preserve the existing angle until a burr is formed, then knock of the burr on a fine grit stone. Easy peasy!

monkeybiter":2nn5t1br said:
You also need to consider the cone angle, I took the risk and lost, but then it was only a couple of quid.
Ok I'll make a note.

A dremel with a suitable stone can be used to sharpen the chisel. It is a lot easier on bigger hollow chisels than on small ones so if you can find a diamond cone for your smaller chisels please buy it.

heimlaga":2vm1a0qn said:
A dremel with a suitable stone can be used to sharpen the chisel. It is a lot easier on bigger hollow chisels than on small ones so if you can find a diamond cone for your smaller chisels please buy it.
Thanks for the helpful tips.

Latest posts

Back