Mobile workbench - Update

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartpaul

Established Member
Reaction score
Revised workshop layout will be much improved if I can move the bench when required. Like many it's a bit of a beast and in my searching for a solution found these http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-wo ... ors-507151

They appear reasonable but I can't help think that two screws aren't going to be beefy enough to secure these to the bench and take the wear and tear of moving around. I don't know if fixings can be increased without compromising clearance etc.

Anyone used these or have any views?

If you are not comfortable with screws then bolt right through the legs. I think those sort of wheels are the easiest way to get a bench mobile.
Regards
John

Thanks.

My concerns is increasing the fixing size so close to the bottom of the leg. From reading reviews it would appear to need to be as close as 22 mm to the bottom. Not a lot of room for a bolt that close to the edge.

I don't want to spend that sort of money and and the bottom of my bench legs destroyed!

stuartpaul":12gjormf said:
Thanks.

My concerns is increasing the fixing size so close to the bottom of the leg. From reading reviews it would appear to need to be as close as 22 mm to the bottom. Not a lot of room for a bolt that close to the edge.

I don't want to spend that sort of money and and the bottom of my bench legs destroyed!

I'm probably looking at it buttocks-about-face, but when the casters are is use, isn't the force pushing the fixings upwards into the legs, rather than downwards towards the short grain?

In any case they're a bit spendy, but potentially very useful for mobile tool bases. Thank you for bringing them to my attention! :D

If you're unsure, is there space to undo the mechanism and drill another hole in the plate somewhere in the middle? You can get bolts with flatter heads if the space is limited. You could also potentially elongate the bottom hole upwards with a needle file to take a bolt.

Update, - in the absence of anything else I splashed out and invested in a set.

I enlarged the top fixing hole to allow for a coach bolt and used a screw in the bottom hole. Very sturdy and surprisingly easy to move around. I was worried the raising process would be ankle breakingly difficult but nice and easy.

Instructions are cr@p (i.e. there aren't any) only an exploded parts diagram. Only by reference to Axminsters site looking at the reviews was there anything remotely useful in determining positions. I could have worked it out through trial and error but I don't think I should have to.

That aside very good bit of kit that will provide me with the flexibility I need.

PS - why is it the bigger the workshop you have the less space there is?

Back