MFT tables - do you use them?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OscarG":1l29iqsy said:
What sort of clamps do you use for the holes?

What have you got? An MFT is pretty versatile when it comes to work holding,

MFT-Workholding-01.jpg

MFT-Workholding-02.jpg

MFT-Workholding-03.jpg

MFT-Workholding-04.jpg

MFT-Workholding-05.jpg

MFT-Workholding-06.jpg

MFT-Workholding-07.jpg

MFT-Workholding-08.jpg

MFT-Workholding-09.jpg

MFT-Workholding-10.jpg

What tends to happen, either immediately by design, or over time through custom and practise, is that your MFT work area becomes the natural home for sanding, routing, assembly, glue-ups, Domino or Biscuit Jointer work, etc. PAC1 said something similar and he's absolutely right, you end up with power and dust extraction on-hand and you take advantage of the MFT's inherent "squareness" and flexible work holding, so it becomes the natural centre of operations for a whole host of furniture making tasks.

In fact what's missing from the above photos is an illustration of the way you can fasten jigs to the surface from underneath, which adds an entire additional category of tasks for which the MFT is well suited.

Attachments

• MFT-Workholding-01.jpg
    MFT-Workholding-01.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 161
  • MFT-Workholding-02.jpg
    MFT-Workholding-02.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 161
  • MFT-Workholding-03.jpg
    MFT-Workholding-03.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 161
  • MFT-Workholding-04.jpg
    MFT-Workholding-04.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 161
  • MFT-Workholding-05.jpg
    MFT-Workholding-05.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 161
  • MFT-Workholding-06.jpg
    MFT-Workholding-06.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 161
  • MFT-Workholding-07.jpg
    MFT-Workholding-07.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 161
  • MFT-Workholding-08.jpg
    MFT-Workholding-08.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 161
  • MFT-Workholding-09.jpg
    MFT-Workholding-09.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 161
  • MFT-Workholding-10.jpg
    MFT-Workholding-10.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 161
I have a pair of the Festool screw clamps that Custard shows above - bought for the track saw, but they fit the table beautifully. And I have a second set- of the Axminster copies: they also work very well.
719098_xl.jpg

I'm unlikely to buy more of the rail-hold-down sort, mostly because my go-to clamps are these Axminster quick clamps:
505529_xl.jpg

You can simply pop the passive head off the clamp and reconnect it after passing the bar through one of the 20mm holes in the MFT. This is also excellent if a big clamp head would get in the way (handle under the table). Axminster say they have 20mm bars, but mine are old and measure 19.1mm, which is perfect for the task (check with Axy. in case the width has changed!). On my MFT, which is ply, I get about 282mm of space between the jaw and the MFT - dead handy for more awkward things.

I can even use my Simon James traditional bench holdfasts, but I am reluctant, because of the risk of rounding over the holes - they do work though with thinner materials.

Eric The Viking":2x24s9r0 said:
You can simply pop the passive head off the clamp and reconnect it after passing the bar through one of the 20mm holes in the MFT.

I never thought of that, useful tip!

powertools":28q6wp5g said:
If all you need is a surface to clamp things to any bit of MDF with random holes drilled into it will do.

But if you're going to drill random holes in a bit of MDF, then you might as well drill them in a precise grid pattern and gain all those other benefits.

powertools":368supw2 said:
If all you need is a surface to clamp things to any bit of MDF with random holes drilled into it will do.
Because the brilliance of the thing is that they are not random but incredibly accurate rows and columns. What is it worth to know that every column of holes is at a perfect right angle to any row. Three or Four dogs and a straight edge and off you go. No need to square up. Just think of routing dados in a book case without the need to check for square the straight edge or jig. How much time does that save per day, week and year. And then as Custard demonstrated the only limitation on work holding is your imagination.

My ebay MFT3-style top and homemade table, with the clamps that came with the Makita tracksaw (that I only just realised can be used). I use Parf dogs from Axminster for the tracksaw, and the table for just about everything. It wheels nicely on my new ply floor!

Do you have some of the Cocraft ones? It's a design that's around in other places too, but doesn't look to be as strong.

I've kept clear of the really cheap ones, as the components don't look strong enough - that's not to say I've done any sort of objective test, mind. Lidl had some recently that looked good in the pics, but were somewhat "miniaturized" when you got to see them for real.

The Axminster/Rutlands* ones are pretty tough. I must also confess though that I bought mine in bulk at the introductory price a few years ago. Clamps generally are overpriced - you can't live without them, and it seems to be a sellers' market. The Axminster ones are now close to double what I originally paid, I think, and whatever has happened to inflation and the exchange rate since, it can't be that much. That said, their rail clamps look to be (are so far) every bit as nice as the Festool ones, and quite a bit cheaper.

E. (wondering if there is a niche for a clamps-only discount store...)

*same but green bits instead of red, as far as I can tell.

Eric The Viking":2akn9gez said:
The Axminster/Rutlands* ones are pretty tough.

[...]

*same but out of stock instead of available

There, fixed that for you.... :mrgreen:

You're right, clamps do tend to be overpriced. Likely because they are a tool we all need in a variety of shapes and sizes, you never get rid of them unless they are broken either.

Eric The Viking":yk1xuxnq said:
Do you have some of the Cocraft ones? It's a design that's around in other places too, but doesn't look to be as strong.

I have 4 of the 600mm clamps and a few 300mm clamps and they are tip top so far. No real distinguishable difference from Stanley one handed clamps I've also used, or Irwin. Steel bar, PA6 (glass-reinforced nylon) handles and jaws with rubber over-moulding. Buy one and have a look, or go into one of their rare stores and have a play. Some of the Cocraft range is very good value.

OscarG":3kku0kxm said:
There's obviously something I'm missing here! Do you have one, how do you use it?

This is where my MFT comes into its own, cutting awkward shapes, this is the middle step of a 3 winder staircase I am building.

Kite winder 1.jpg

Kite winder 2.jpg

Winder stair.jpg

Attachments

• Kite winder 1.jpg
    Kite winder 1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Kite winder 2.jpg
    Kite winder 2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Winder stair.jpg
    Winder stair.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 72
basssound":19eq3i0d said:
I don't think I could own an mft and knowingly cut into the surface with anything.
I route in a sacrificial strip of MDF that’s easily replaced.

Also, for the folks who seem to think that the MFT is just about cutting straight lines, and that an MFT-style top with rails dogs does the same job, I’ll just say that having a fence with flag stops, and the hinged rail, make a world of difference to what you can do with one.

P

Latest posts

Back