Metabo bas 318

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ant1

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to this so please bare with me.
I am thinking of purchasing a small bandsaw around the £500 Mark, The metabo bas 318 was a top consideration along with either record or axminster of similar sizes.
An insight into the 318 would be much appreciated if anyone could help as I seem to be going around in circles online!!
Thanks

Ant

Welcome to the Forum.

Do a search on "Tool Review" I am sure something will come up, but saying that most on here, including myself have a Record Power Bandsaw and find them to be amongst the best value for money above the BS300 series, they can be obtained for around your budget especially if you can get to a show where they seem to offer a good discount with free delivery.

Mike

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your reply, have you had any problems with guide bearings as I have read a few reviews reporting problems with these.
I will have a look in reviews.

Ant

I have made threads here before about the Elektra beckum BAS 315.
I believe its the same machine as the Metabo 316
One of those was making new guides for it, and another making a mobile base for it.

If its the same as the 315 the whole fence system its a super pain in the rear end!...
You have to remove the rail for the fence to change a blade, you need to have a socket handy (with two different heads)
and a square for checking it when its back in place (it does move while off the table) and a big screwdriver for opening the cabinets
After all that.... the fence that took ages to set up, deflects an awful amount
I must make handles on it one day.

For £500 quid you could get a super solid nice used machine for much better value....
Cast iron wheels, decent powered motor, rack and pinion adjustment that can have a solid system for affixing the
guides to, not threaded with 2 self tapping screws into hollow aluminum!
A decent fence that wont budge, bigger table, tensioning device for top wheel that is not going to strip threads
if you tension a blade too often, better frame that will not take a permanent warp when a beefy blade is put on (this happens a lot) Don't heed manufacturers claims on capacity, i.e...

Max claimed blade width will be half whats specified, and that might mean a thin gauge blade also!...
and resaw height does not indicate what height you can cut "wood" with, so you can safely say
less than half stated using a softwood with a new blade and hope for the best ...

Well thought machines make life easier and I would be looking for a sweet saw for that cash
that I can trust.
Have you looked on ebay for both bandsaw and band saws ?

Tom

Hi Tom,
Thanks for your info, you have confirmed my fears from another a post I read by an Australian about metabo.
I'm going to go for a record 300e as the majority of reviews are positive. Plus the links to mods left by Mike.
Unfortunately living in the far West of Cornwall means that not many second hand one's come up close enough!!
Thanks for your input gents, it's easy to keep going round in circles for the best solution.

Ant

What do you plan cutting with this saw Ant1...
Is it just for cutting curves you want it?
However, If its for ripping..........

Did you ever see, or use a small bandsaw for ripping timber taller than 1" ?
If you have not, you might question why the blade is always in contact with the thrust bearing when any force is
applied ...The noise is not nice, nor is the fact that these bearings are getting damaged.
No problem, some often say and buy a wider blade with more beam strength for their saw, with the idea of the blade deflecting less, thus reducing contact with the thrust guides like on the big saws.
This will permanently fold your saws spine and make all kinds of missalignments happen!
Don't trust manufacturers claims of frame strength!!!!

I would hold out for a quality used machine for that price !!!
Keep looking on eBay and Gumtree, some cheaper industrial machines are 3 phase but dual voltage, meaning you need a 100 quid VFD,
but in turn you can run a bigger machine from a 13A plug without blowing the fuse, because you can adjust the motors starting duration to match the supply you have.

If you have any relatives of friends anywhere else in the UK ?
Shiply and other company's can be good value

Tom

Ant1":voftrn7z said:
Hi,
I am new to this so please bare with me.
I am thinking of purchasing a small bandsaw around the £500 Mark, The metabo bas 318 was a top consideration along with either record or axminster of similar sizes.
An insight into the 318 would be much appreciated if anyone could help as I seem to be going around in circles online!!
Thanks
I would exercise caution. It is essentially the same saw as the Makita lbf1200f which has some serious QA issues with vibration. The basics are excellent (nice large cast iron table, decent power) though.

I think Metabo might have a better system of QA with the Chinese manufacturers than Makita as you read less complaints with it than the Makita.

I sent my Makita back and ended up with a Scheppach Basa 3.0 which isn't perfect, but it's better than the Makita.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Whatever you do dont buy the metabo 318 its total rubbish.
Easily the worst machine I've ever owned.
The table moves the guides move it Jams all the time.
The belt constantly comes off.
You have to constantly 0 it in the get a straight cut and even at that its temperamental.
I've only had mine a few months and am selling at a loss just to get rid of it.
My hand is starting to hurt from punching it out of frustration.

Jimmy sweets
Did you complain to your supplier ?
My Metabo 318 is spot on, no problems at all
Well pleased that I bought it
I made a simple sled and it cuts quite accurately

Thanks for the heads up on the Metabo 318..

I was just about to make an offer on an ebay auction from a seller in Isleworth...

Back