Meddings drill, wobbly chuck.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mar_mite

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've just acquired a meddings floor standing drill. It is in amazing condition. But there is a slight wobble at the chuck. How do I rectify this? It's not terrible, I'm thinking of just living with it. But as the drill cost me nothing I don't mind giving some time to fix it up. Any help appreciated.

i would take the chuck out to start with and see if there is wobble in the quill/spindle.

you will need some wedges to do so- I don't think that there is a drift hole in these. There isn't in the bench version I have.

Hi
Check the condition of the morse taper on both the chuck and the internal one on the drill, after the chuck to check for wear.
Hope this helps
Aaron

Thanks guys. I'll have a go at getting the chuck out. Maybe cleaning it up and re seating it will do the trick.

Check the spindle bearings for wobble too. You might be able to adjust the pre-load on the spindle bearings (by taking the quill out) to improve matters. Fitting new bearings is not an expensive job - just needs care and cleanliness. Don't buy the bearing as spare from Meddings but use the many online suppliers for a fraction of the price. If the belt does not relax to a near perfect circle when taken off and laid on a table, treat it to a new one of the cogged type (google for pictures) again not dear from bearing suppliers and the like.

The worst situation will be if the machine does not have a removable arbour and the spindle end is bent. Virtually impossible to straighten and you will need a new one from meddings. They still support most of their drills with parts at a price.
If the arbour is removable* but bent, then they too are cheap enough and use standard tapers. One to fit in the chuck -JT6 is the commonest on British drills with 1/2" chucks nd the other end to fit the drill - MT2 again being the commonest.

* for the arbour to be removable, lower the quill and there will be a slot to insert an ejection wedge. If there is no slot then you don't have a machine with a removable arbour. and you need a pair of metal folding wedges sold for the purpose, to remove the chuck.

see http://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#saf ... val+wedges

Myfordman":2j7pl7b1 said:
Check the spindle bearings for wobble too. You might be able to adjust the pre-load on the spindle bearings (by taking the quill out) to improve matters. Fitting new bearings is not an expensive job - just needs care and cleanliness. Don't buy the bearing as spare from Meddings but use the many online suppliers for a fraction of the price. If the belt does not relax to a near perfect circle when taken off and laid on a table, treat it to a new one of the cogged type (google for pictures) again not dear from bearing suppliers and the like.

The worst situation will be if the machine does not have a removable arbour and the spindle end is bent. Virtually impossible to straighten and you will need a new one from meddings. They still support most of their drills with parts at a price.
If the arbour is removable* but bent, then they too are cheap enough and use standard tapers. One to fit in the chuck -JT6 is the commonest on British drills with 1/2" chucks nd the other end to fit the drill - MT2 again being the commonest.

* for the arbour to be removable, lower the quill and there will be a slot to insert an ejection wedge. If there is no slot then you don't have a machine with a removable arbour. and you need a pair of metal folding wedges sold for the purpose, to remove the chuck.

see http://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#saf ... val+wedges

Great answer. Just wish I had a Medding to use all that good advice!

Back