maths expert required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Distinterior":115bvem4 said:
I agree with Jacob!

Left Front = 900
Left Rear = 890
Right Front = 877
Right Rear = 863

Damn. Now we have two for, and two against. Anyone else?

well, its 11.20pm here, so I'm going to bed to ruminate further. I will go over all the measurements and calculations again in the morning.
night night.

Clockwise, I make it:

LH front 900
LH rear 890
RH rear 863
RH front 877

The confusion is due to the cumulative measurements. It would be much easier to just note the measurements down from a datum.

In reality though I doubt cutting to these sizes will give you a very good result. The concrete wont be straight from point to point and these measurements dont allow for the thickness of the cabinet. The best result would be to sit your carcase in situ, level up and then mark around with scribe block, calipers or whatever. If you want to keep the cabinet at maximum height just measure how far up from the lowest corner (lh front) and draw a line parallel to the scribed line all the way round.

Makes a change from Sudoku!

Billy Flitch":1mx0wrpp said:
No need for maths Bob build the cab set in place wedge up till its plumb, set a compass to the widest point then scribe it in cut it and then put it back in place.

+1 For Billy Flitch (Above) No need for the slide rule approach, 'Nuff to give anybod a headache.
level the base up and scribe it in.
Regards Rodders

RobinBHM":2bvlmtgb said:
Clockwise, I make it:

LH front 900
LH rear 890
RH rear 863
RH front 877

The confusion is due to the cumulative measurements. It would be much easier to just note the measurements down from a datum.

In reality though I doubt cutting to these sizes will give you a very good result. The concrete wont be straight from point to point and these measurements dont allow for the thickness of the cabinet. The best result would be to sit your carcase in situ, level up and then mark around with scribe block, calipers or whatever. If you want to keep the cabinet at maximum height just measure how far up from the lowest corner (lh front) and draw a line parallel to the scribed line all the way round.

Makes a change from Sudoku!

OK, after a nights sleep, I have re thought all the measurements and now agree with your numbers.
I think it was just my rubbish mental arithmatic, but today I have seen the light.

I know the floor is extremely uneven, but once I have the corners, I can adjust for any high spots, and I'm going to silicone it to the floor anyway to prevent wildlife moving in.
As I say, this is NOT a bespoke piece. Its the cheapest way I can make a drawer base for my router table top. I'm using two large drawers salvaged from a double bed divan base (g)

Thanks for the discussion, just need to get Terry to check his numbers for us all to agree.

You could make a small plinth to stand the cabinet on.

A 40mm, or whatever size is appropriate, high box with the sides scribed to match the floor.

That way you wouldn't need to "customise" your cabinet at all.

Made the cabinet today, using the numbers we (lol) arrived at. Fits the ground pretty good.
Only a slight rocking on a couple of high spots along the back edge.
So little that I'm not going to bother scalloping the bottom edges. A few 2mm shims in the gaps, a goodly dose of silicon, and Its full steam ahead on the table top now.

One small hitch though, My 62mm plastic ducting no longer fits as this box is quite a bit bigger than my old stand, so tomorrow I shall have to re run that along the wall with more clips.
THEN I can start the top.
Hard work now though, temperature is 36c each day, got to drink lots to keep my strength up (g).

Back