Marvin

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, Chaps

Who the heck is Marvin? he seems to be selling loads of very nice hand tools over on the forsale/wanted.

Pete

Hi, Fromey

The pics look legit, not copied from somewhere else.

Those Wenzloff saws look fantastic.

Pete

Not specific to this seller- but in general...

pay with paypal and you are covered if the seller is dodgy. It is better to pay the extra fees if necessary than to do it as Paypal gift. Call it a small percentage for insurance.

if a seller, send by a courier or recorded etc and you are also covered by paypal if the buyer is dodgy. the fees may seem steep, but it is worthwhile for the peace of mind.

I repeat, not aimed at this seller or anybody in particular.

One forum i am on bans paypal gift as a means of payment. may be worth suggesting.

marcros":2b6hcjpq said:
One forum i am on bans paypal gift as a means of payment. may be worth suggesting.
Because you have no cover from PayPal if payment is sent as a gift - and you are breaking their terms and conditions.

RogerP":14kt9u1b said:
marcros":14kt9u1b said:
Because you have no cover from PayPal if payment is sent as a gift - and you are breaking their terms and conditions.

my point exactly

marcros":3r1kpri0 said:
RogerP":3r1kpri0 said:
marcros":3r1kpri0 said:

my point exactly
Indeed. I don't understand how people who do this regularly get away with it. I must be glaringly obvious to PayPal if someone is constantly getting "gifts" of money that something is wrong. :roll:

All I can say is what he has done isnt far off spamming :evil:

I posted a biscuit jointer for sale yesterday and all his posts have made my post disappear to I think the 3rd page. Could he have not put all his items in one thread ?

I was up at 3.30 odd sorting the kids out, and saw the posts, so I had a look thinking I'd get the drop on the rest of y'all. But I am a pauper and cannot afford anything so shiny. Back to the car-booty and auction. :(

I do find it a little worrying when I see someone selling loads of stuff like this as it is fair to say we may be witnessing the demise of another tradesman. Other than that it all looks straight up to me.

Best wishes

Neil

I see him as a rich amateur, bought loads of stuff to start a new hobby, then found something else to do.
Which benefits us by getting cheap tools.

Pete

Hi all,

Firstly, I made a couple of mistakes when I posted these ads:

1. I should have contacted the moderators and warned them about the flood of posts first. A moderator had to reorganise my posts more sensibly this morning.
2. I should have provided some context about why I'm offloading so many tools.

I am an amateur who switched from machines-only to hand tools-only a few years ago. When doing the switch I went a little...crazy...and bought the best of everything, figuring that with my limited hobby time I didn't want to fuss with polishing backs of blades, spending ages grinding etc. I lived in South Africa at the time and all of these tools (with a few exceptions) came from the US (Lie-Nielsen, TooslForWorkingWood, Woodcraft), the UK (Classic Hand Tools, Axminster--ironic, isn't it) or Canada (Lee Valley.) Unfortunately I didn't have the time to actually work with the tools much, and since moving here I have even less time with a small family. So I've decided to sell some of the aforementioned "best of everything" tools because I don't use them, and of course I could use the money.

I've still got loads of tools (old Stanley planes, wooden planes, Disston saws, marking and measuring tools etc.) that I won't sell because they're good and they can sit in the garage without guilt. So I'm down but not out of this hobby :)

I hope that alleviates some of the concerns posted here!

Hi, Marvin

Nice to hear you are still at it, you have some cracking tool for sale, I wouldn't be able to let them go.

Good luck with the sale.

Pete

Hi Marvin

Welcome to the forum and do feel free to join in the conversation with fellow members.

Whats that you say? You have lots of tools but don't actually do much woodwork? You'll fit right in here ;-)

I am not a collector I just accumulated a comprehensive set of tools to apply in the event that I need them. Really, I am not a collector. :oops:

Don't worry Marvin if you were you appear to have found a cure (hammer)

Being a newbie you could even ask about sharpening. Go on, ask whether a convex bevel is a good thing, I dare you.

Coat....... :twisted:

Back