WILL BE SELLING SOME TOOLS IN THE NEAR FUTURE, HEREFORD AREA

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molly38

Reaction score
Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Lou and very sadly my husband died just over a year ago very unexpectedly. We had not been long living in Herefordshire, he was retired and we built a big workshop so he could enjoy his hobby of carpentry and make new windows and shelving, doors and all sorts for our new home. In October 2022 he bought a charnwood bandsaw and morticer, ready to make our new windows. We had set them up ready in the workshop and just tried them out. He had just purchased lots of timber to make a workbench and storage units for the workshop. By March the following year he was gone.
Im finding it very hard sorting out his tools that he used and loved for a skill that he was very good at.
Eventually I will need to sell some of them. The Charnwood tools are practically unused and have sat in a dry clean workshop since October 2022. I would really like to sell them to fellow enthusiasts and someone who can appreciate my situation and that I do need as higher price as possible. It would be collection only unless very local and then there is a possibility of delivery in a van.
Its an extremely sad situation as we worked really hard to get to here and then its all been taken away with no warning and I have been left in limbo really , at this present time with no idea of what is going to happen. I am more sad for my husband, the fact that he was so looking forward to creating with wood, the hard work building his workshop, the fun we had doing it and the excitement of the future, the fact that he never got to use his bandsaw or morticer he had been waiting years for. So its not just me selling tools, its a whole lot more than that.
I just wanted to explain it , felt the need, sitting here now typing this through tears thinking should I be writing all this, but, thats me, tell it how it is. So far everyone has been so helpful and kind.
So in the hopefully not too distant future I will be advertising some machinery and tools for sale, on here if I am able. If there is anyone in the area of Hereford, looking for any tools, please feel free to get in touch. There are a few other older bits of machinery. Many thanks for reading.

Sorry to hear your news...
regarding selling the tools and timber: this website is a good place to sell as you have a ready market - however, it is also a knowledgeable market full of people who know what timber and machinery is worth. Often in this situation people see a nearly new item and hope to get most of the new price back, however there can be difficulties in that:
- a machine that has been sitting (even in a dry workshop) may well have seized up a bit / need some fettling
- new machines can often be bought at a discounted price and a lot of people wait for the sales to buy, so they don't buy second hand except at below sales prices - otherwise they might as well have it new
- a second hand machine may not have any warranty left on it / the warranty might not be transferable... for example - your Charnwood tools: https://www.machinery4wood.co.uk/extraimages/Charnwood Machinery - 5 Year Guarantee .pdf the warranty is only for the first owner and not transferable, which makes it much higher risk for any subsequent buyer...
- if anyone is buying through a business they may be getting it much cheaper from a business selling to them B2B (reclaim the VAT etc.) whereas your sale as a private individual would not give them that saving - a simple example, you buy a bandsaw at £800 - £133 of that is VAT which is lost - you are buying a £666 bandsaw and paying £133 VAT on top... so at the point you walk out of the shop, your saw is only worth £666 to someone else in the trade - if they can also offset tax then that £800 saw is now only worth £533 to them brand new as that is what it would cost from a shop... - if they can get 10-15% discount then where you pay £800 they might be paying c. £450. So to attract their interest with a secondhand item (however good condition it might be) you need to be selling it below that - probably in the £300-£350 area...

So, I don't want to depress you, but resale of machinery is often at greatly reduced prices because of the above reasons (and when items are put on here above those boundaries, they often don't sell)...

an alternative is to simply place the items on ebay or similar - esp. if reasonably new they will be listed against new items at the full price, and suddenly yours looks better value - purchasers on there often don't do the maths, and then they might see that same machine as good value at £600-£700 against the new price of £800 without thinking it through...

To post on here in the sales area, you need a number of posts first.

Sorry to hear your news...
regarding selling the tools and timber: this website is a good place to sell as you have a ready market - however, it is also a knowledgeable market full of people who know what timber and machinery is worth. Often in this situation people see a nearly new item and hope to get most of the new price back, however there can be difficulties in that:
- a machine that has been sitting (even in a dry workshop) may well have seized up a bit / need some fettling
- new machines can often be bought at a discounted price and a lot of people wait for the sales to buy, so they don't buy second hand except at below sales prices - otherwise they might as well have it new
- a second hand machine may not have any warranty left on it / the warranty might not be transferable... for example - your Charnwood tools: https://www.machinery4wood.co.uk/extraimages/Charnwood Machinery - 5 Year Guarantee .pdf the warranty is only for the first owner and not transferable, which makes it much higher risk for any subsequent buyer...
- if anyone is buying through a business they may be getting it much cheaper from a business selling to them B2B (reclaim the VAT etc.) whereas your sale as a private individual would not give them that saving - a simple example, you buy a bandsaw at £800 - £133 of that is VAT which is lost - you are buying a £666 bandsaw and paying £133 VAT on top... so at the point you walk out of the shop, your saw is only worth £666 to someone else in the trade - if they can also offset tax then that £800 saw is now only worth £533 to them brand new as that is what it would cost from a shop... - if they can get 10-15% discount then where you pay £800 they might be paying c. £450. So to attract their interest with a secondhand item (however good condition it might be) you need to be selling it below that - probably in the £300-£350 area...

So, I don't want to depress you, but resale of machinery is often at greatly reduced prices because of the above reasons (and when items are put on here above those boundaries, they often don't sell)...

an alternative is to simply place the items on ebay or similar - esp. if reasonably new they will be listed against new items at the full price, and suddenly yours looks better value - purchasers on there often don't do the maths, and then they might see that same machine as good value at £600-£700 against the new price of £800 without thinking it through...

To post on here in the sales area, you need a number of posts first.
Many thanks for your reply, that is a great help. Most informative and I fully understand what you are saying regards prices. Thank you.

Firstly I really feel for you and your situation, so sad.
Don’t be put off too much, the majority of members aren’t able to get the VAT back so go ahead (after you have written a few more messages) I think most on here are fair decent people.
Ian

Really sorry to hear that Lou. You've come to the right place to find out anything and get a good idea of much the tools are worth. A lot of knowledgeable members on here. I'm not too far away either in Malvern.

It may be of interest to you that there's a woodwork and machinery auction in Pughs at Ledbury. I think they run it every few months. I find tools and timber often sell for top prices there, however the auction house takes a cut. If I recall correctly it's 12%. That's one option to sell it with minimal hassle. https://www.hjpugh.com/auctions/

Firstly I really feel for you and your situation, so sad.
Don’t be put off too much, the majority of members aren’t able to get the VAT back so go ahead (after you have written a few more messages) I think most on here are fair decent people.
Ian
Thank you Ian. I do sell items on ebay and understand values and what people are willing to pay but I do get annoyed when people say "Oi mate, will you take £10 for it" when I have something marked at £40 or more. Ideally I want someone local to come and take a look. I know roughly what they are worth secondhand, but just wanted to explain a bit first. Thank you for your kind comment. Much appreciated

Really sorry to hear that Lou. You've come to the right place to find out anything and get a good idea of much the tools are worth. A lot of knowledgeable members on here. I'm not too far away either in Malvern.

It may be of interest to you that there's a woodwork and machinery auction in Pughs at Ledbury. I think they run it every few months. I find tools and timber often sell for top prices there, however the auction house takes a cut. If I recall correctly it's 12%. That's one option to sell it with minimal hassle. https://www.hjpugh.com/auctions/
HI, thank you. Yes I am familiar with Pughs, but feel that I may get a little more money selling elsewhere. Just hoping someone here may say oh yes exactly what Im after, make me an offer and come and collect it !.

I admire your approach to what must be harrowing exercise. I've been doing a lot selling over the last couple of years and I've tried all the methods. Here are some notes in order of preference:-
UKWS
My much preferred medium. You just need a few photos and a reasonable asking price
A bit of research on completed sales on eBay will put you in the right ball park. If needs be take an average of a few recent sales. For used items, but still current models, I've found 50 - 75% of current new price (inc VAT) to be a good formula. I've only ever had a couple of guys who wanted to knock me down, and for quite small sums of money. Some people are just that way inclined.
EBay
I've bought and sold a lot over the last 25 years and have come to the conclusion that Buy-it-now with invitation to offers is the best route. Again work out a reasonable price but put on a bit of contingency to allow a bit of wriggle room and payment of fees, about 15%. It makes the buyer feel better if they've knocked you down! I've always found people using eBay for woodworking kit to be fair and reasonable.
Facebook
Very dynamic, expect some quick results. Haggling is de rigeur and participants expect a result, so allow for it. No fees unless you start paying for promotions which is sometimes necessary to keep it up there.
Expect poor communications. Because the medium is anonymous, some people just don't care.
Auction Houses
I've also used HJ.Pugh over the last 25 years, initially buying and in recent years, selling. Good for selling items that haven't gone by any of the above. It's very easy, you just have to get the items there on an agreed date. Fees are 10% on the hammer price for both the buyer and the seller. Items.are sold 'as-seen' so no aftersales hassle.
Car Boot Sales
Nearly at the end of the spectrum.
My first experience as a seller was last Saturday and got rid of a large number of tools and household items with standard prices of £1,5 and 10. Mostly people accepted those asking prices, but of course, there were the hagglers, mostly of foreign extraction.

And lastly
Give it away
Charity shops, charitable suppliers of tools to 3rd world communities and Mens Sheds
I've got.a pile of bits and pieces left over from Saturday's effort which are being handed over to our local church for sale.at their Flower Festival (a good money raiser) over the August bank holiday.

After that it's throw-it-away - in an environmentally friendly way, of course.

Brian

Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Lou and very sadly my husband died just over a year ago very unexpectedly. We had not been long living in Herefordshire, he was retired and we built a big workshop so he could enjoy his hobby of carpentry and make new windows and shelving, doors and all sorts for our new home. In October 2022 he bought a charnwood bandsaw and morticer, ready to make our new windows. We had set them up ready in the workshop and just tried them out. He had just purchased lots of timber to make a workbench and storage units for the workshop. By March the following year he was gone.
Im finding it very hard sorting out his tools that he used and loved for a skill that he was very good at.
Eventually I will need to sell some of them. The Charnwood tools are practically unused and have sat in a dry clean workshop since October 2022. I would really like to sell them to fellow enthusiasts and someone who can appreciate my situation and that I do need as higher price as possible. It would be collection only unless very local and then there is a possibility of delivery in a van.
Its an extremely sad situation as we worked really hard to get to here and then its all been taken away with no warning and I have been left in limbo really , at this present time with no idea of what is going to happen. I am more sad for my husband, the fact that he was so looking forward to creating with wood, the hard work building his workshop, the fun we had doing it and the excitement of the future, the fact that he never got to use his bandsaw or morticer he had been waiting years for. So its not just me selling tools, its a whole lot more than that.
I just wanted to explain it , felt the need, sitting here now typing this through tears thinking should I be writing all this, but, thats me, tell it how it is. So far everyone has been so helpful and kind.
So in the hopefully not too distant future I will be advertising some machinery and tools for sale, on here if I am able. If there is anyone in the area of Hereford, looking for any tools, please feel free to get in touch. There are a few other older bits of machinery. Many thanks for reading.
Hi and welcome to ukw ,, I take my hat off to you as I can sense your pain in your words . It’s very brave of you to post your story and I read it I can’t help think of the friends and family I’ve lost over the last few years . You will have to post a few messages before you can use the for sale section. There are of course several other options inc facebook eBay etc but here at ukw they would go to like minded woodworkers. There are of course several charities, men’s sheds and other options where you can donate unwanted tools ..assuming your not into woodworking yourself maybe you use the workshop for something you like and enjoy but understand if you don’t ..there are many members here from all walks of life and we do our best to help and advice one another on all subjects not just woodworking so a big hug from me as I appreciate how difficult it’s been for you to post this thread .good luck and take care .🙏🙏

I'm sorry to hear your sad news, there was a thread on here some months ago about what was to happen to your tools when you pass away. Sadly very topical but might be worth a look, someone may be able to more easily find it than me.
My father-in-law died in April and we now have the prospect of mother-in-law moving and needing to sell their house. The prospect of clearing out and finding suitable homes for everything is extremely daunting. However for workshops and tools this is a great community and there will be help available if you ask. Best wishes.

Hello lou, I find Gumtree owned by ebay very good and its free, I have just sold a charnwood bandsaw W730 14" for £395 three years old. Sorry for your loss

I admire your approach to what must be harrowing exercise. I've been doing a lot selling over the last couple of years and I've tried all the methods. Here are some notes in order of preference:-
UKWS
My much preferred medium. You just need a few photos and a reasonable asking price
A bit of research on completed sales on eBay will put you in the right ball park. If needs be take an average of a few recent sales. For used items, but still current models, I've found 50 - 75% of current new price (inc VAT) to be a good formula. I've only ever had a couple of guys who wanted to knock me down, and for quite small sums of money. Some people are just that way inclined.
EBay
I've bought and sold a lot over the last 25 years and have come to the conclusion that Buy-it-now with invitation to offers is the best route. Again work out a reasonable price but put on a bit of contingency to allow a bit of wriggle room and payment of fees, about 15%. It makes the buyer feel better if they've knocked you down! I've always found people using eBay for woodworking kit to be fair and reasonable.
Facebook
Very dynamic, expect some quick results. Haggling is de rigeur and participants expect a result, so allow for it. No fees unless you start paying for promotions which is sometimes necessary to keep it up there.
Expect poor communications. Because the medium is anonymous, some people just don't care.
Auction Houses
I've also used HJ.Pugh over the last 25 years, initially buying and in recent years, selling. Good for selling items that haven't gone by any of the above. It's very easy, you just have to get the items there on an agreed date. Fees are 10% on the hammer price for both the buyer and the seller. Items.are sold 'as-seen' so no aftersales hassle.
Car Boot Sales
Nearly at the end of the spectrum.
My first experience as a seller was last Saturday and got rid of a large number of tools and household items with standard prices of £1,5 and 10. Mostly people accepted those asking prices, but of course, there were the hagglers, mostly of foreign extraction.

And lastly
Give it away
Charity shops, charitable suppliers of tools to 3rd world communities and Mens Sheds
I've got.a pile of bits and pieces left over from Saturday's effort which are being handed over to our local church for sale.at their Flower Festival (a good money raiser) over the August bank holiday.

After that it's throw-it-away - in an environmentally friendly way, of course.

Brian
Hi Brian, many thanks for all the info, that is most helpful.

Hi and welcome to ukw ,, I take my hat off to you as I can sense your pain in your words . It’s very brave of you to post your story and I read it I can’t help think of the friends and family I’ve lost over the last few years . You will have to post a few messages before you can use the for sale section. There are of course several other options inc facebook eBay etc but here at ukw they would go to like minded woodworkers. There are of course several charities, men’s sheds and other options where you can donate unwanted tools ..assuming your not into woodworking yourself maybe you use the workshop for something you like and enjoy but understand if you don’t ..there are many members here from all walks of life and we do our best to help and advice one another on all subjects not just woodworking so a big hug from me as I appreciate how difficult it’s been for you to post this thread .good luck and take care .🙏🙏
Many thanks Bingy Man, much appreciated

I'm sorry to hear your sad news, there was a thread on here some months ago about what was to happen to your tools when you pass away. Sadly very topical but might be worth a look, someone may be able to more easily find it than me.
My father-in-law died in April and we now have the prospect of mother-in-law moving and needing to sell their house. The prospect of clearing out and finding suitable homes for everything is extremely daunting. However for workshops and tools this is a great community and there will be help available if you ask. Best wishes.
Many thanks Peter

Back