Making A Zero Clearance Table Saw Insert

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you get a new zero clearance insert made? I’ve got the SIP 01332 and looking to make a new insert myself.

I made one for my Itech 01332 (same machine) out of Valchromat, bought a couple of A3 size bits from The Bay.

I cut it roughly to size then stuck the original plate on with double sided tape and used a template follower bit on the router table to trim it to size. Marked the mounting holes while it was still taped. Then I used an ordinary router bit in the table to gradually thin the edges down until it fitted snugly in the slot. Drilled and countersunk the screw holes and put another larger hole in so I could lift it out. Then put it in the slot, clamped it with the fence and raised the blade, turned it over length for length and did the same again which nearly cut a slot long enough for the riving knife. If I remember correctly I had to use a small file to make it about 3 or 4mm longer so that the riving knife didn't foul the slot at full height. This one is about 2 years old now, I made two so I have a spare

HTH

20201107_164150.jpg

If you're using plastic, I'd definitely go for Polycarbonate (aka Lexan/Makralon) rather than Acrylic (Perspex). Readily available on the usual auction site for a few quid in A4 sheets, with a range of thicknesses to suit your insert slot. Polycarbonate cuts cleanly and is very strong, whereas Acrylic tends to chip and shatter. You may get a bit of melting and bubbling around the edges of the cut but that can be sliced away cleanly with a sharp knife.

I made a template from a bit of spare 9mm MDF and then used it and a template bit in a router on some 18mm MRMDF. I then used a router to take the outer 15mm or so down to about 3mm to actually slot in correctly. I then put grub screws in the existing threaded holes in the table for leveling.

I did the first one with no router table and that alone was enough to make me want one :ROFLMAO:

It's a PITA to make inserts for if I'm honest.

nice. Never thought of the grub screw idea, good thinking.
Thanks...was hoping there would be an alternative approach but looks like that’s the only option!

Back