Adding a sacrificial / zero clearance fence to Titan Sliding Mitre Saw.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziplock9000

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the Titan 210mm Sliding Mitre Saw (TTB794MSW) and I'd like to add a sacrificial wood fence to the existing metal fence so that I can have zero clearance and cleaner cuts at the back.
However, for some weird reason the fence does not have any holes in it to be able to slow screws through to go into the wood..

Is there an elegant way to solve this issue? All I can think of is drilling holes in the fence myself?

I'm just a beginner / DIYer

Holes are simple and elegant. Mark them out nicely and lightly chamfer the edges for a neat look.

Double-sided tape is a hole-less possibility for one-off use.

How often will you need to remove the fence? How thick do you plan to make it?

Screws might be slow to remove and reinstall. You have to put them in a place so that the body of the saw does not obstruct where the screwdriver wants to be. If removed and reinstalled repeatedly the thread in the wood will spoil (but if so, you just move the wood fence over a bit and cut a new slot, so make it plenty long when first installing).

Hence, if there was a way to put a metal female threaded insert into the fence, that would be more robust: a male threaded knob would be faster to remove and needs less space at the back. It would need a thick-ish fence to accommodate the insert.

Alternatively, a male thread projecting from the fence with a female knob on the back could work in a thin fence (so yo udo not lose cut capacity). A button head capscrew has a low profile head. Or use something like this for the male thread and epoxy the head into the fence:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UJK-Technology-T-Slot-Bolts-50mm/dp/B07DJD2YLJ

Holes are simple and elegant. Mark them out nicely and lightly chamfer the edges for a neat look.

Double-sided tape is a hole-less possibility for one-off use.

How often will you need to remove the fence? How thick do you plan to make it?

Screws might be slow to remove and reinstall. You have to put them in a place so that the body of the saw does not obstruct where the screwdriver wants to be. If removed and reinstalled repeatedly the thread in the wood will spoil (but if so, you just move the wood fence over a bit and cut a new slot, so make it plenty long when first installing).

Hence, if there was a way to put a metal female threaded insert into the fence, that would be more robust: a male threaded knob would be faster to remove and needs less space at the back. It would need a thick-ish fence to accommodate the insert.

Alternatively, a male thread projecting from the fence with a female knob on the back could work in a thin fence (so yo udo not lose cut capacity). A button head capscrew has a low profile head. Or use something like this for the male thread and epoxy the head into the fence:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UJK-Technology-T-Slot-Bolts-50mm/dp/B07DJD2YLJ
Thanks for that. I might do what you said with a nut, bolt and washer and maybe recess it into the wood. Obviously I'd use something with a low profile so the wood does not need to be too thick.

Back