Making a simple website

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that.
I only placed it in the Scrollsaw forum initially as that is where I spend most of my time plus the proposed site is connected with that subject. I guessed it would be moved; in fact I was surprised it stayed there as long as it did, so thanks for that.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. I now have to get motivated to make a start. TBH I think the first thing is to scribble a lot of what I want to say on paper first sort of plan it out and get all my images ready etc.

Any additional advice would be gratefully received.

just avoid WIX like the plague, no-one will ever find your website or take you seriously. I used wordpress for my website, hosted by zen, who I would highly recommend.

For a domain, go to Freeola.net as they do free hosting. Just buy a domain, approx a fiver, you can create a site with programmes like webplus from serif, which require no knowledge of coding, or even use freeola's built in web design software.

We used freeola to build our B and B site and it was really easy, cheap and got us hits from all over the wold as ell as the UK.

For £4 a month for the web pro version (including building and editing your site from any connection), with no contract, it's well worth a look.

Phil

Well I registered with wordpress for a free site but can't seem to get anywhere at all, it just keeps showing a blog post with none of my content, it goes not seem at all intuitive, at least with Goggle sites I managed to get something on the page!

Sheptonphil":2sfhzn6j said:
For a domain, go to Freeola.net as they do free hosting. Just buy a domain, approx a fiver, you can create a site with programmes like webplus from serif, which require no knowledge of coding, or even use freeola's built in web design software.

We used freeola to build our B and B site and it was really easy, cheap and got us hits from all over the wold as ell as the UK.

For £4 a month for the web pro version (including building and editing your site from any connection), with no contract, it's well worth a look.

Phil

Hi Phil

I like Freeola I use their email addresses, however you have to use them as a ISP for their free hosting etc and I am not with them. :)

Hi, I'm new over here aswel, i've recently created a wordpress site for woodworking. If you've originally went onto wordpress . this will have limited you to your blog posts. IF you do want to get wordpress for a fully functional website you need a few things. you would require to download it from the org site.

Firstly is hosting, This can range from 5 - 30 a month depending how much storage, space etc you want.
Secondly is a domain name... Fasthosts have a good selection of domain names for £1 for the first year.
Thridly, you then need to login to your hosting. (some of them have an installer built in) this installs wordpress on your hosting and you can fully customise. Option for a forum, contact us pages, ecommerce sales etc...

If you need any advice from someone who's just starting up feel free to message me.

But if you want to see what wordpress can do with some research, some youtube videos and a few hours an evening, I will request that mods can share my url if possible as I don't have privalages at the moment.

Or diy html - simple site for £30 a year or less in some places.

Wordpress is brilliant. You can load your own content and edit it with ease. Many many themes available that you can tweak a bit. Personally I would pay someone to set it up so you know its "right". For my WP site, I pay £20.00 pcm for someone to oversee it and update it as and when....

Back