Low salt bread recipes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be more worried about the sugar content of bread than the salt. My bread machine calls for 2 teaspoons and a half in some recipes. One reason I gave up eating bread. Lost three stones and still counting. My bread machine is standing idle in the utility room. The only bread I miss these days, is a nice French stick and fresh salad. :mrgreen:

In my opinion, the bread machine stuff, while you may not consider it to be "proper baking", is infinitely preferable to the Chorleyewood process stuff from the supermarket. My favourite(since Tesco and Costco stopped stocking "La Brea"), is the Vogel Original. But it is too salty for me(and probably Chorleywood anyway). I do occasionally dabble in homemade sourdough, but it's a bit of a faff.
Anyway, you can make all the jibes you like about "proper baking". You're not going to get a rise out of me. Not without proof.

phil.p":2ejjz9n7 said:
I think the need for sugar must be because of the need for easy bake or fast acting dried yeast in bread machines - proper baking doesn't need sugar.

I don't know enough about 'real' baking to disagree phil, but I thought they used sugar to start the yeast. Either way flour (and most wheat products ) are full of starch; just another type of sugar. A loaf has to be made, so to me it's merely processed food; a less sweet version of cake.

So I look at it this way... For the sake of my blood sugar readings I daren't touch Mr. Kipling's products at all, or anything similar. I know that bread does sky-rocket blood sugar readings, and as a T2 diabetic, it is an absolute no-no. Hence I am trying my damnedest to stay off it. A slice of wholemeal bread has a GI reading higher than three teaspoons of table-sugar BTW, and it produces a higher insulin response too.

Cheers. John

I should have said "traditional" rather than proper, maybe, my intention was to differentiate rather than to knock those using machines.
That was the point, John - the yeast specifically used in machines probably needs the sugar starter, non machine ones don't - although if the yeast uses the sugar, there won't be a significant amount left anyway.
The Glycaemic Index is the speed at which it potentially raises the level of blood sugar - it's the material being measured, not the amount. There's more sugar in two lettuce than there is in a teaspoonfull of sugar - but no one would suggest it better to eat a spoonful of sugar than a few leaves of lettuce.
You are of course perfectly correct about commercially made bakery - treacherous stuff.

Interestingly Diabetes UK doesn't advise us not to eat bread, just what we should eat with it to lower the G.I. -
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-di ... -diabetes/

+1 for the panasonic breadmakers. I picked up a "spare" at a car boot for £2 once!

I tend to favour a recipe with no sugar, no milk powder and little salt done on a french bread 6 hour cycle.

remember I said I toast mine, it reacts well to toasting and smothering with butter and bovril. mmmmm..........

When I was making bread everyday (When my Lady was still living here) I used this mill and bought flour in bulk (20 bags orders)
The seeded flour was my favourite. It was as near to a genuine granary loaf as I could get. Delicious, and still it's one of my temptations!

Have a look
https://www.shipton-mill.com/

Oh, how I miss my bread. I think I may have to unsubscribe this topic. Phil's pictures, in particular, are getting to me... :)

In the days when I made my own, and I used a recipe very similar indeed to sunnybob's (I tended to use about 1/3 granary, 1/3 wholemeal, 1/3 white) I used frozen fresh yeast. I freeze it like this. I never found out how to get the machine to do everything, but I got the machine to make the dough and then, when I decided, I got the machine to bake.

It was always truly excellent, except when I cocked up :)

Oh, toast and Bovril - aaarrrggghhh!

P.S. If you want fresh yeast, the place to go is Tesco. Yes, I know. But if you go to the bakery counter they will give you a good chunk, 100g or so, free, gratis and for nothing.

Benchwayze":2f9mniqg said:
When I was making bread everyday (When my Lady was still living here) I used this mill and bought flour in bulk (20 bags orders)
The seeded flour was my favourite. It was as near to a genuine granary loaf as I could get. Delicious, and still it's one of my temptations!

Have a look
https://www.shipton-mill.com/

+1 for shiptons mill flours (I used to have a "contact" who gave me "samples" hem hem)

Steve, I feel your pain.
I have had to severely reduce my bread consumption due to trying to lose weight. 2 thick cut slices decorated as above for breakfast every day is hell when youre retired and dont do physical work any more.
Also I have trouble in the summer months here because the yeast goes off due to heat. It can be 40c inside our kitchen cupboards, well outside the yeast storage range, and of course the fridge at 3c is too cold for it. So I wont be making any untill late september at the earliest.

I cant buy fresh yeast locally, I have to buy the packets of bread maker yeast. I have tried to use it at these temps but the bread can come out anywhere between "ok" and "put it in the bin", so its easier (and cheaper) to just wait for the winter again.

Back