London Pattern Screwdiver

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nigel

Established Member
Reaction score
The smaller versions speak for themselves but
what were the large size London Pattern Screwdrivers used for

I have an inherited one 20"(350mm) long dated 1947 with a Ministry arrow stamp
now I have been given a 27"(675mm) long one made by Hale Bros Ltd of sheffield dated 1954 also with an arrow stamp

I have been around construction and engineering all my life but have yet to see a screw slot big enough for these beasts,

Nigel

I always thought the shipwright thing too, except my tool dealer acquaintance had one with screws to fit - and they were ordinary steel wood screws. But bigger, obviously... Steel screws and maritime-related activities aren't really compatible usually. So I dunno, the shipwright line still makes sense but I reckon they must have been used somewhere else too.

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for the replies

The connection with the one I inherited was with coachbuilding as in ash frames on trucks but that is very tentative, very large screws something to keep an eye out for,

Its amazing how tools move around I have also been given a rasp stamped Wiltshire Australia
How much did we lose in the Ashes

Nigel

So I can't tell, but look at the Studley tool box, his, i.e. H.O.s are long, very long and you know he was pianomaker.

Marc

building some wenzloffanian jewel holding device in the tool storage door

It's easy to forget how much stuff was made of wood only a generation or so ago. Not only wagons and carts, but also agricultural machinery, industrial items like hoppers and other constructions.
A common feature being iron or steel straps, brackets, hinges, plates etc screwed on with large diameter but short screws e.g. I've got a box of 1+1/4" by 20 screws with 5/8" dia heads which came from an agricultural machine maker closing down sale. These would need a big screwdriver.

cheers
Jacob
PS large and long screws would require too much torque for a slotted screwdriver, hence coach screw with a square bolt head

I have in my possesion something called a machinist screw driver which has a very thick shank, and head and a very ergononic handle that fits perfectly in the hand. These would have been made to assemble for example die sets and platens in a press for moulding.

Also Jacob is right, because surprisingly enough White oak was as good a material as most metals for manure spreaders on farms, as it was just as resistant to the acids in the commodity it was designed for, as metal was. International Harvester made them from wood well into the seventies.

Another possible application would be the racks for the back of trucks though I think they were mostly carriage bolts.

Nigel":47pfpnd7 said:
The smaller versions speak for themselves but
what were the large size London Pattern Screwdrivers used for

I have an inherited one 20"(350mm) long dated 1947 with a Ministry arrow stamp

Those are quite common, but I've never known what they're for!!

BugBear

Paul Chapman":2ymqm5z0 said:
Will we be seeing some pictures of the jewel?

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Sure, only one now, later more when she sits in her place. Here she comes in 10 inch length, 15 tpi rip, marbled black walnut handle, excellent tool marrying eye appeal, ergonomics and high quality.

Dovetail_1.jpg

Is London Pattern screwdriver the same style as the same named chisel handles? :-k Please apologize my ignorance, I better hadn't made my posting last late night. :oops:

Marc, 8-[ slightly hijacking this thread

MarcW":8h8fcv7o said:
Is London Pattern screwdriver the same style as the same named chisel handles? :-k
Unhelpfully - no. :( London pattern are like this:

129fs769972.png

While what you might reasonably assume was nearer London pattern are:

129fs770056.png

Ain't hand tools wunnerful... :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

The London Pattern Screwdriver is used to screw-down Deck plates in Ship's Engine rooms. The Deck plate screws are short and stubby with a countersunk head and can be difficult (at times) to unscrew. The London Screwdriver is ideal for this job since the blade is flat thus an Adjustable Shifting Spanner (Crescent) can be fitted to exert addition pressure.

I'm sure the "Chippies" have other uses for it. (hammer)

Jimmy Hendricks
ex Marine Engineer RAN

Jimmy Hendricks":24ceia6v said:
The London Pattern Screwdriver is used to screw-down Deck plates in Ship's Engine rooms. The Deck plate screws are short and stubby with a countersunk head and can be difficult (at times) to unscrew. The London Screwdriver is ideal for this job since the blade is flat thus an Adjustable Shifting Spanner (Crescent) can be fitted to exert addition pressure.

I'm sure the "Chippies" have other uses for it. (hammer)

Jimmy Hendricks
ex Marine Engineer RAN

WOW! Great name!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jimi Hendricks

A
I always thought the shipwright thing too, except my tool dealer acquaintance had one with screws to fit - and they were ordinary steel wood screws. But bigger, obviously... Steel screws and maritime-related activities aren't really compatible usually. So I dunno, the shipwright line still makes sense but I reckon they must have been used somewhere else too.

Cheers, Alf
Armourers use them for the removal of GPMG butts and sure they were used before my time on SLR and other weapon systems being part of our initial tool box

Easy to forget that until fairly recently as well as shipbuilding there was a massive industry linking timber and metal, from carts, railway wagons, farm equipment, larger structures; hoppers, factory plant. Commonest detail being iron straps fixed with large but short screws e.g. 1" 12s and upwards

Great example of why thread date policing is a terrible habit - two late answers providing substantive responses to anyone searching for an answer to this obscure point in the future which are unlikely to have been posted otherwise.

I have an 18" London pattern screwdriver that still gets a bit of use. The slotted screws on old cast door hinges are often something like a No14 but with a really thin slot which modern screwdrivers don't fit, the tip on my old London pattern is ground to fit them.

london screwdriver 1.jpg

London screwdriver 3.jpg

Latest posts

Back