Holtzapffel Chisel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I may be ok on this slope as long as I keep to tools only and don't start going down the lathe piste! Mind you...I espied a wrecked Holtzapffel lathe on fleaBay the other week and it went for hundreds even though most of the wood had perished by storing it under water in a barn!!!

Ok....those of you that are used to me by now will realise I tend to drift off at major tangents and weird techniques....it is part of my brain that I want to know why about everything that happens...

This time it was the comment on the Net that Cocobolo darkens with age to beautiful near black/brown rosewood colour...tracing back its roots (pun intended!)

SO...I think...what element is causing this darkening...some say over a short time.

I wanted to get dark dark...near rosewood colour and I wasn't about to wait years for it to happen...

So...how can it darken...what causes it? Is it air...oxidation? Is it perhaps tannin and oil in the wood darkening over time...or is it (as I suspected) light...sunlight...as the stock piece I had was near black where it had been in the sun.

Then...sitting here pondering this last night...I figured it must be sunlight...or more precisely...UV in the light..so what about a bit of suntanning for this handle?

My wife was immediately dispatched to get her sunlamp...which was turned on and laid over the rough first turn handle...

1hr full power...then another...then another...and guess what....

BEFORE THE TANNING SESSION:

DSC_0079.JPG

..and after a few hours in the "sun"....

DSC_0080.JPG

....amazing isn't it!!!

Don'tcha just love it when a plan comes together!!! 8)

More turning tomorrow! (and more tanning sessions!)

Jim

Brilliant bit of logic to use a UV lamp, Jimi.

But now you'll need a small device to rotate the handle slowly so that it tans evenly. Something powered by clockwork maybe? Or a hampster in a treadmill?

Evergreen":26n46rb9 said:

But now you'll need a small device to rotate the handle slowly so that it tans evenly. Something powered by clockwork maybe? Or a hampster in a treadmill?

Powered barbeque spit?

BugBear

bugbear":1v20gsvm said:
Evergreen":1v20gsvm said:

Powered barbeque spit?

BugBear

Nah....I'll just get the missus to turn it over when she does!

:D :D :D

Well...after the success of the UV theory...I had to destroy all the hard work and continue whittling the stock to the finished product. The sun came out today and unusually for me I was off work...I hit the lathe..

I think I have got it about right but I am not an expert turner...I enjoy it but I need more practice...so excuse the amateur work but here ya go....

DSC_0084.JPG

The backdrop is the original Cocobolo blank stock...I have loads left...the ML1 was even fired up in anger too so I could make the ferrule...that came out really well....

DSC_0083.JPG

The shape needed to be sleeker...I think that bit was the most fun...

DSC_0091.JPG

I even worked out how to round off the end to get rid of the tailstock centre hole...

DSC_0093.JPG

Of course....this will need to get the UV treatment but I really love this wood... :D

Why are all the species I love so expensive!! :cry:

Now to expand the hole and mount the steel....should be a laugh!!

Cheers guys and gals

Jim

That grain pattern is indeed beautiful, Jimi, but do you think that it might warp in time because you've turned it to such a slender shape?

The reason I ask is that I've a vintage chisel with a best London pattern boxwood handle and over the years, it's developed a gentle curve down its length. I suspect this was because the chisel is a small size and the handle is relatively slim.

Evergreen":1l3n3yml said:
That grain pattern is indeed beautiful, Jimi, but do you think that it might warp in time because you've turned it to such a slender shape?

The reason I ask is that I've a vintage chisel with a best London pattern boxwood handle and over the years, it's developed a gentle curve down its length. I suspect this was because the chisel is a small size and the handle is relatively slim.

Hi EG

I had thought that but the wood has been stored for 25 years by a guy whose father was a turner...so I think it is stable enough. The wood is rock hard....

I guess it might...we shall have to see and then I guess I will have to make anouther one.

I wanted to follow the pattern in the diagram. I may make a lozenge shaped one too ....the one in the photos of sets at the Science Museum

Cheers

Jim

After opening the hole up a bit I fitted the chisel to the handle and it sat really snugly in the recess....

DSC_0110.JPG

These are quite small turning chisels for delicate work and I think it will fit in fine in my workshop...

DSC_0111.JPG

I'm really pleased with the result....this is one lovely chisel that after many decades in a drawer...will finally get to make some shavings...

Will try it out this week and let you all know how it goes...

DSC_0114.JPG

I think I will try it out on my box wood octagon handle which is half way through...it is going to be a nice little turnscrew.

I also fired up the kiln and hardened the Spiers plane replacement iron this afternoon....more on that thread....

Cheers

Jimi

Hi Jimi

That really looks the business.

Did you fit the blade with just a friction fit or did you use epoxy as well?

I'll be interested to hear how the blade holds an edge. My experience of vintage chisels is that they usually sharpen easily but edge retention can be a bit variable.

Did you fit the blade with just a friction fit or did you use epoxy as well?

It's just a friction fit. I could add "for now"....but I think "for good" is more likely...I can't see it coming out. :oops:

I thought the shape was strange...but there is a method in their design...

Will let you know how it cuts!

Jim

Jimi,

Your UV technique made me smile:

As a kid I knew a couple who made 'Victorian' pub mirrors. They'd take an ordinary bevelled mirror, cut out the lettering using a mounted razor blade fragment as a scraper and carefully paint-in the colours. Once tidy it was buried in the garden for three months.

They sold loads :shock:

Having said that, your chisel (er, turning tool) is a different matter - it's not pretending to be anything it isn't, and what it is, is simple and beautiful.

I'm tempted to try UV on a few things myself, as I've got an old EPROM eraser that won't get much use otherwise! I'm wondering if it would work to get ornament marks off yellow pine, for example.

Latest posts

Back