lining for drawer bases to prevent tool rust.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D_W":1yhrijk5 said:
Sort of like the hone rite stuff jacob posted a link to. There's literally, on that page, glass that is *branded* as signature glass or something for "scary sharp". It just baffles me sometimes.

Everyone's a mark to some retailers. It would be free for anyone to say "get any flat glass and affix paper to it", but many can't resist. It would be just as easy for lie nielsen and japan woodworker to suggest any mineral oil or any light machine oil for tool care. They don't because there are plenty of marks.

The guys who's site you mention posts on here, maybe he can elucidate - my take is he is having it made to his spec/accuracy. I guess small amounts cost more to produce.

mouppe":3vpeddya said:
It's so good of you to get off your high horse and explain everything to us mortals. Also nice to know I've been doing everything wrong for the last couple of decades.

No clue who you're talking about being on a high horse, I'm an amateur who has only ever sold a scant few things for pay.

iNewbie":2qzsdc73 said:
D_W":2qzsdc73 said:
Sort of like the hone rite stuff jacob posted a link to. There's literally, on that page, glass that is *branded* as signature glass or something for "scary sharp". It just baffles me sometimes.

Everyone's a mark to some retailers. It would be free for anyone to say "get any flat glass and affix paper to it", but many can't resist. It would be just as easy for lie nielsen and japan woodworker to suggest any mineral oil or any light machine oil for tool care. They don't because there are plenty of marks.

The guys who's site you mention posts on here, maybe he can elucidate - my take is he is having it made to his spec/accuracy. I guess small amounts cost more to produce.

They definitely do, I'm not denying that. The first piece of float glass I ever bought, I had custom cut and made of tempered glass - it cost a mint. It wouldn't have cost as much if I had 100 of them made, but 1 wasn't the way to do it. Maybe there's a cultural thing in the UK, and it's not like the US market is immune to name-branded products, either. But I'm a bit of a cynic about that. Whether it's guitars or arkansas stones, the "signature model" means more money to the end buyer.

At any rate, a useful tip to users would be more helpful than selling a $40 or $50 piece of glass. I'll tell you what mine is - if you go to a glass shop looking for a "glass shelf", they will have something for you, it will be float glass, it will be long and narrow and it will be cheap.

8x42 inches for me (a size useful in plane making) was $20. the 12x18 piece of glass I bought custom made cost me almost $90, though it was thicker than 10MM - I was too new to know that I didn't need 15 or 20mm glass.

And I do recognize that there will be a segment of white collar retirees (the type who attend two courses a year and don't really make much of anything) who will excoriate anyone who makes a recommendation and doesn't provide a product to buy right away within 10 seconds. Perhaps the signature glass is a product of that. That's one of the things that makes "courses" a good place to sell tools - captive audience. Cosman does a lot of that.

I talk openly about this stuff, I'm not here to make buddies, I want to talk facts. I think a lot of people are offended by that, but I'm OK with it as long as it doesn't turn into mud slinging - sometimes people don't like to talk facts. If we were all willing to do it, we'd be further along with less out of pocket and more to share with someone else new to the hobby.

D_W":1o2q9c9o said:
I talk openly about this stuff, I'm not here to make buddies, I want to talk facts. I think a lot of people are offended by that, but I'm OK with it as long as it doesn't turn into mud slinging - sometimes people don't like to talk facts. If we were all willing to do it, we'd be further along with less out of pocket and more to share with someone else new to the hobby.

I don't have a problem with facts. I'm somewhat puzzled why some have a distorted view of how they see other people (in their minds) being clobbered-over-the head with top-line gear at every turn - people generally buy what they can afford in any business/hobby. Not everyone is buying Niche tools.

iNewbie":1sthuigc said:
D_W":1sthuigc said:

I don't have a problem with facts. I'm somewhat puzzled why some have a distorted view of how they see other people (in their minds) being clobbered-over-the head with top-line gear at every turn - people generally buy what they can afford in any business/hobby. Not everyone is buying Niche tools.

Here's why. The implication and sometimes outright statement when that stuff is being sold is that older tools are outdated and the newer stuff will have you:
* getting more done
* working more precisely
* working at all (sometimes the older tools are implied to be inferior and incapable)
* working with tools that professionals would've used if they were available "way back when"

I don't think any of those are true. Those kinds of things snag beginners. They snagged me, too. None of them really have anything at all to do with actually making things out of wood, and where the real value lies in doing it (it's purely in your skill and experience).

It doesn't keep me awake at night, though.

D_W":1dlcp1q6 said:
iNewbie":1dlcp1q6 said:
D_W":1dlcp1q6 said:

Here's why. The implication and sometimes outright statement when that stuff is being sold is that older tools are outdated and the newer stuff will have you:
* getting more done
* working more precisely
* working at all (sometimes the older tools are implied to be inferior and incapable)
* working with tools that professionals would've used if they were available "way back when"

I don't think any of those are true. Those kinds of things snag beginners. They snagged me, too. None of them really have anything at all to do with actually making things out of wood, and where the real value lies in doing it (it's purely in your skill and experience).

It doesn't keep me awake at night, though.

I think if you look back at whats been created with old tools anyone with a brain knows buying a newer tool doesn't mean you instantly become a more skilled person. The few that do believe a gift of skill is about to be bestowed on opening a box are likely already fantasists. :)

I think the point that's been missed by a few is that it doesn't matter what methods or brands you use, if you get a good finish the method is negligible. I'm a full time bench joiner and I sharpen with an Aldi wetstone and use a variety of odd chisels and never protected anything until I got given a drop of camellia oil the other week. There is no doubt in my mind a hobbyist with tools sharpened and treated with expensive pastes and oils could produce a better job given the time. There is no real right or wrong way to do it, and I think it's nice to give an opinion on a product and not necessarily rip it to pieces because you don't like it.

For what it's worth, the foreman where I work has an alarming collection of tools (number and cost) that he has meticulously sharpened with 4000 grit papers, grinding pastes and treating oils. Party pieces are a set of immaculate mirror finished Stanley 501's that can slice bog roll mid air [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES] pointless? Maybe. Impressive? Definitely!

Sent from my Potato using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back