Lathe advice for newbie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beargrease

Reaction score
Hello all
I,m new to woodturning and looking for a second hand lathe to get started, after reading the forums it seems the Myford ml8 or the Axminster AWVSL1000 would be a good choice, welcome your thoughts on this.
Thanks very much
Steve

The Axi did me fine for 8 years then I upgraded. No knowledge of ML8, others will have.
Unless you are fixed on the AWVSL 1000 - Axi have the 900 on offer both on its own and with a chuck.

Brian

I've already sent you an email about my Tyme Avon. Some acknowledgement would be courteous !

Sorry i,ve not replied regarding the Tyme avon lathe, thanks for your offer, i,m away in our caravan at the moment and my internet connection is not good.
Thanks Altheo have sent you a pm
Kind regards
Steve

As a one-tyme :D Avon owner, I'd strongly recommend that for a beginner. Perhaps not as well made as the ML8, but much more versatile because of the swivel head. While there's been wonderful work done on ML8s, it's much more due to the skill of the users than the virtues of the lathe. IN MY OPINION, before the Myford enthusiasts come round as a lynch mob! And in mitigation, I do now use a Mystro!

I had some great successes with my old ML8, but it is a bit limited in the swing over the bed. It was a fantastic learning tool for me, getting round the various limitations.
I would say the Axi lathe is much more versatile, and more "standard" in terms of thread size etc.

/justmytuppenceha'ppenyworth

Back