Large router table WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont call a ready supply of beer mad. As long as he doesnt drink before he uses that router table of course

The brewery and the brewery tap are in the downstairs barn near the BBQ. The workshop is in the upstairs barn, I don't think I have ever taken a beer in the workshop and never play in there after imbibing, too risky, I still have all my fingers and limbs and want to stay that way :)

I have a healthy respect for tools, especially my big Colchester Triumph lathe, it has a 7hp motor and isn't going to stop if you get caught up in it, but even the little machines will do serious damage so I'm always careful.

It occurs to me FG, when re-reading my post above about you being "mad", that I may have unwittingly offended you. If so I offer my full apology, that was NOT my intention, honestly.

I was simply referring to the fact that your "barn" looks so clean and well lit. In my (limited) experience, barns are dirty, ill-lit places full of cobwebs, dead cow pats, and various other unmentionables/unrecognisables, while yours looks like a hospital operating theatre in comparison.

Although I do not drink beer myself (not of any type) I was NOT referring to the fact that you have beer on tap in your workshop.

My apologies for any offence once more.

AES

AES":1u1rzy8c said:
It occurs to me FG, when re-reading my post above about you being "mad", that I may have unwittingly offended you. If so I offer my full apology, that was NOT my intention, honestly.

I was simply referring to the fact that your "barn" looks so clean and well lit. In my (limited) experience, barns are dirty, ill-lit places full of cobwebs, dead cow pats, and various other unmentionables/unrecognisables, while yours looks like a hospital operating theatre in comparison.

Although I do not drink beer myself (not of any type) I was NOT referring to the fact that you have beer on tap in your workshop.

My apologies for any offence once more.

AES

Hi AES, you certainly didn't offend me :) And believe me, the workshop is not like an operating theatre, unless it is one out of MASH :)

I've been fitting the drawer fronts now they are veneered, it's taking ages to try and get the gaps even, I'm putting the drawers on a shooting board after fitting the fronts to make final adjustments. Next time I will do the glue up completely differently as even if it is a tiny bit out of square it makes the draw fitting a right pain. I'm glad I did my first set of drawers for the workshop.

Drawers completed although I may add some label frames at some point otherwise I will forget what is in which drawer. The drawer gaps could be better but I've learned a lot and will get it tighter next time.

P1060429.jpg

On to the router cupboard door and the pull out larder style drawer on the opposite side now.

Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• P1060429.jpg
    P1060429.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 897
Looks VERY good & professional, Farmer Giles. I looked at the pic in as large a format as poss, and although the gap under the top RH drawer does look a BIT bigger than all the rest, to me anyway the rest look fine - and don't forget, although you know about the gap/s (you made the error/s!) anyone else is not going to notice much, if anything at all. I wish I could do as well as that anyway.

Well done Sir. As I said before, this is not "just" a router table, it's a routing instrument!

=D>

AES

NEXT TIME?
He's going to make another one?
I expect the victoria and albert have asked for a copy.

he did say that was just the delivery. You might want to times that by three for the total cost.

:)

I've already used it numerous times, partially to build the drawers but also on other minor projects, it's difficult to route when its covered in cling film though ;)

It's a Triton TRA001, I got it because with the built in router lift it saved me quite a bit and so far I can't fault it.

P1060430.jpg

I have ordered some perspex for the router door and some face frame hinges, I thought the Blum one I had could be used for both face frame and conventional kitchen doors but turns out they can't. I've cut the 9mm ply for the larder style pull out drawer for my free standing routers and now looking at construction methods, I think it will be a combination of battens and dominoes due to the thin ply.

Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• P1060430.jpg
    P1060430.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 821
I managed to get the larder door assembled yesterday, just stuck a couple of coats of Bona Mega on the door and put my routers in it.

The door will go to the same colour as the rest in a day or so, it is still curing.

P1060433.jpg

Here's the drawer out, I built it out of 9mm ply except for the door to save weight, its plenty strong enough and doesn't tip the table even if you lean on it.

P1060431.jpg

A bit of a close-up. I need to sort out the top tray to hold the collets etc. but that can wait for another day.

P1060432.jpg

Just the router door and drop down door to hold the fence when not in use to complete the WIP.

Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• P1060433.jpg
    P1060433.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 783
  • P1060431.jpg
    P1060431.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 783
  • P1060432.jpg
    P1060432.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 783
thanks n0legs :) For once I am determined to get a project finished quickly. My Fordson Dexta renovation is now well over ten years. its still in bits and realistically a couple of years from completion.....

Theres a shop down the road that restores old tractors. They had a giant fordson in there last year, seat must have been 5 ft off the ground. Not one speck of paint left, tyres melted off. Was as good as new in a month. Box it all up and send it over mate. I'll oversee it for you.

Back