kitchen worktop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beau":1dfybujh said:
Jacob":1dfybujh said:
Thanks for that. "Constructional" veneer means thick timber veneer?
I'm using Formica so maybe this is sufficiently different from a timber veneer to require a balancing backing sheet?

Yes for "constructional veneer" read thick veneer. Should be more stable with Formica than 3mm of wood. Also being a kitchen top it's presumably got the extra support of the cabinets on the off chance it tried to cup. Would have thought balancing veneers are far more important when the overall makeup up is thin but it's going to take lot to make 36mm of Birch ply go walkies.

Edit.
Just re read your opening post and realised you are using just 18mm ply. Hmmm maybe a balancing sheet might be a good plan. As for the looks of Formica and the bare ply showing I like it and did exactly this for some cupboards in our bathroom. Can post some pics if interested.
Yes please Beau post some pictures.
We saw some ply edge stuff in Denmark and thought it looked good. You can actually buy a ply lookalike edge band but it just isn't the same.
Plan is now for 18mm ply but doubled up around the perimeter and the sink cut out, plus a few braces across

Thanks Rodders. 2 no 12' x 5' x 18mm now ordered (from Lathams) but bloody expensive so any other suppliers would be interesting for future projects

Snap of one of the doors. Polyurethane varnish brings out the contrast in the ply far better than acrylic varnish which I used on the kitchen draws.

Attachments

• DSC04285.JPG
    DSC04285.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 52
Very nice. Something reassuringly 60s about it and no mdf or chipboard so will last a lot longer.

I've had several Mazda pick ups in the past, and I ordered a 10x5' x3/4" sheet of ply as the bed, or load box was 55" wide and very prone to rust, these were ordered through Jewsons, through a similar outlet as James Latham's but as you say very expensive, These larger sizes are available, somewhere.
So maybe, should you get and problems, try that avenue!
Regards Rodders

My cupboard doors are Birch ply with chamfered edges and chamfered holes for handles.

Pete

Max Power":25iwgtsy said:
You should have a look on some of the kitchen fitters forums . IKEA are perceived as mediocre at best
Another thing which IKEA don't do is that dodgy "trade only" thing which Howdens and others do. It's dodgy because it's just a way of avoiding sale of goods laws - if anything goes wrong the "tradesman" gets it first. He is effectively the retailer, not Howdens.
Also it might give fitters the impression that they are being looked after - they aren't.

Jacob":3hxdbgrv said:
Very nice. Something reassuringly 60s about it and no mdf or chipboard so will last a lot longer.

Haha yes I suppose so. Clearly not everyone's taste but proving very practical and as good as the day it was made.

Latest posts

Back