kitchen worktop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul Chapman":2ajvx6xl said:
Jacob":2ajvx6xl said:
does everybody have a dish washer nowadays

No. Complete waste of money. By the time you've fiddled and farted about loading, unloading, and separately washing all the stuff that you can't put in it, you could have washed up by hand. They're even more useless than honing guides :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul
I've come to the same conclusion. People who have just spent £300 to £1000 on one think they are marvellous but the clincher is people who have had to do without one unexpectedly - suddenly discovering that it doesn't take much (any) longer and is much tidier if you do the washing up a.s.a.p without hanging about.
So we're going for big double drainer / double bowl. And I'll treat the old woman to a box of dish mops and some rubber gloves.

Paul Chapman":2b3n4cyi said:
Jacob":2b3n4cyi said:
does everybody have a dish washer nowadays

No. Complete waste of money. By the time you've fiddled and farted about loading, unloading, and separately washing all the stuff that you can't put in it, you could have washed up by hand. They're even more useless than honing guides :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

We have some large plates that won't fit in the dishwasher the are used for Xmas so one day a year I have to hand wash something!
Things come out far cleaner then hand washing, and it takes no time to load and putting away, you have to do that anyway.

Pete

Because they have a through rinse cycle not just pulled out of a bowl of murky water and dried by a manky tea towel.
And you can use the top tray to sterilise baby bottles which we did on both of out kids, so clean enough for me.

Pete

Apparently there are recipes for cooking salmon in a dishwasher, so perhaps they arr more useful than you think :D

Dishwashers are a mixed blessing, Ive no doubt they must clean better as they wash at higher temperatures and have a rinse cycle so almost no chance of detergent residue left on crockery.

They can ruin glassware and glaze, the detergent is very strong and can etch the surface long term. Pots, pans, baking trays etc often still need to be done by hand. Of course they need loading and unloading.

Worktop will be 1200 x 3350 in one piece 18mm birch ply with Formica laminate stuck on, and inset sink cut in.

Slightly anxious about differential movement - will it curl up? or any other prob to look out for with such a big piece?

I would definitely put a balancing sheet of formica underneath. Also how will you fix the top to the units 18mm does not give you much to play with. It might be one to use cleats on.

PAC1":1hpvpunm said:
I would definitely put a balancing sheet of formica underneath. Also how will you fix the top to the units 18mm does not give you much to play with. It might be one to use cleats on.
Yes cleat etc
I keep hearing about "balancing sheets" but I've looked at Formica worktops and table tops which all seem OK without it. I'll chance it!

Worktop is working out at 1200 x 3350 and birch ply seem to be the best option - or are there alternatives?

Jacob":7x9njdp7 said:
PAC1":7x9njdp7 said:
Yes cleat etc
I keep hearing about "balancing sheets" but I've looked at Formica worktops and table tops which all seem OK without it. I'll chance it!

A standard thickness Formica worktop (30mm or 40mm Thick) may not have a Laminate balance on the underside of it, but if you are going to stick a sheet of High Pressure Laminate (HPL) on the top of a sheet of 18mm ply, you will DEFINATELY need to apply a balance laminate on the underside or it will warp......!!!!!!

It can be just a plain colour, but you will regret it if you don't fit one.

Jacob
Plywood has an odd number of laminates for a reason - to keep it balanced and hence flat. So if you are adding a laminate on the top you need one underneath. It is many years since I did such work but there is no way I would ignore the balancing sheet.

Jacob":1kka1cfd said:
Worktop will be 1200 x 3350 in one piece 18mm birch ply

Where does one get such huge sheets? is it special order from the factory?

I've never seen a sheet bigger than good old 2440mm x 1220mm.

BugBear

Distinterior":12pn3g4i said:
I buy most of my Laminate products from IDS.

Here's a link to the sheets of laminate that they supply.

http://www.idsurfaces.co.uk/c-1800-inte ... nates.aspx

It appears as though most of the laminate sheets are available in 3050mm x 1300mm sizes.

EDIT.
Here is a Duropal laminate in a larger sheet -- 4100mm X 1300mm

http://brentplastics.co.uk/products/duropal/

Hope this helps!

Tim.
Thanks for that. Now looking at http://www.worktops.uk.com/ which could save a lot of faffing about!
I wouldn't be surprised if there were more suppliers of made-to-measure one-off worktops as it could be a nice little earner if you had the space and the kit.

Looking at this http://www.worktops.uk.com/buy/JP/F1485 ... ow_Worktop
Have been wandering around Ikea, B&Q, Howdens etc but for some reason nobody does colour (except Ikea do one red). The catalogues are really dreary - basically all shades of sh|t brown, ash, black etc.

I've had a dishwasher for 25 years and would not now do without one. However, in Jacob's case, I would recommend he saves his money and builds a wall between the kitchen and the living area. I don't understand the modern trend for open plan. What about the cooking smells and the greasy fallout which will settle on any flat surface? Have a look on top of your kitchen wall cupboards.

whiskywill":11e94bpb said:
I've had a dishwasher for 25 years and would not now do without one. However, in Jacob's case, I would recommend he saves his money and builds a wall between the kitchen and the living area. I don't understand the modern trend for open plan. What about the cooking smells and the greasy fallout which will settle on any flat surface? Have a look on top of your kitchen wall cupboards.
And the dead flies/mice/spiders/moths mouse droppings!
It's a big room (6 x 6 m) it'll make a big living kitchen (settee, big table, TV, woodburner etc) so in winter we can retire into it and close all the doors. Having an all electric induction hob cooker so that reduces the fat fumes to some extent.
Worktop - following consultations now looking at 25mm birch ply with plain edge and backing laminate. Scandi look - we saw it in a Danish youth hostel.

Jacob
Will it be noisier then other strata. I always think that Birch ply is quite noisy whereas chipboard seems to absorb some of the vibration noise. But I do not recommend chipboard for that location. Just a thought.

Moving on slowly!
Now looking for 32 to 35 birch ply 12' x 4' which I thought I'd spotted but can't now find.
Does anybody know where I could get it, or what would be next best option?
Trying to avoid joining it as want an exposed sanded edge.

Latest posts

Back