Karcher Pressure Washer.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah...the stuff that has silver sand between it? I've got that outside my garages. Never dared use the karcher as I reckon there would be chasms as deep as the Mariana trench!!
However, the Karcher is brilliant for spraying your kids from 20 yards :)

Its also excellent at cleaning the silvering and/or lime off wooden garden furniture. Much quicker than sanding. Let it dry for a day or two then teak oil and it really brings it back for the summer season.

have had problems with the internal pressure switch on a tatty Karcher sticking shut if left for quite short periods (weeks or less). A trick which seems to work is to turn off the power while the trigger on the hose is still pulled.This seems to leave the internal switch in the on position. Might help someone.

RogerS":hoezt1gh said:
If you do get one don't forget to run it for a short time on a regular basis. Most pressure washers fail in a very short space of time if they are not used on a regular basis.

Why? Mine is a cheapo from Lidl or Aldi, without a pressure switch, and is at least 12 years old. I use it once, sometimes twice a year.

whiskywill":1p0zfpmx said:
RogerS":1p0zfpmx said:
If you do get one don't forget to run it for a short time on a regular basis. Most pressure washers fail in a very short space of time if they are not used on a regular basis.

Why? Mine is a cheapo from Lidl or Aldi, without a pressure switch, and is at least 12 years old. I use it once, sometimes twice a year.

Well I've had a Karcher and currently have another make. The Karcher started leaking and was told by the service guy that the reason was because it hadn't been regularly 'warmed up'. Seemed to make sense to me. So bought the other make but lazily never got round to practising what I preached. Just like dickm the internal switch gummed up and again a different service guy said the same thing about not using them etc etc.

So how does yours work ? Does the pump run all the time?

Anyroad I fixed mine by bypassing the switch so the pump was permanently powered via a spare remote mains on/off that I had.

RogerS":1cujdn1m said:
whiskywill":1cujdn1m said:
RogerS":1cujdn1m said:
So how does yours work ? Does the pump run all the time?

Yes, my pump runs all the time. The instruction manual warns you not to leave it switched on when you release the water trigger but it seems to be O.K. for a few seconds. The pump just makes a sort of coughing noise.

My Karcher doesn't need the water supp;y higher than the water input. When I clean the flags around our swimming pool I dunk the pickup hose, with the filter on it, into the pool and it goes well.

If you use the patio cleaner just make sure that you don't drop it over any corners or you will break one or more of the rotating jets :oops: :oops: :oops: I still have to replace the jets on mine :shock:

Benchwayze":za7qwjwh said:
My main supply stop-tap is in the garage, so that's where I'd have the hose-tap fitted. I would need to buy another hose to reach the rear garden, but that would be cheaper than a second tap in the Utility room. I think! :lol:

Can't you do it yourself John?
Not at all difficult to fit if you use a push fit tee connector or buy a kit from Screwfix or the sheds. Even easier with the self cutting tap fitting as you don't even need to cut the existing pipe (providing it's 15mm copper).
http://www.screwfix.com/p/outside-tap-k ... mm-x/33139
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Landsca ... 226/p79669

You might even get away with just this and a suitable quick fit hose connector if access to the existing pipe isn't a problem. doesn't comply with existing water regs which as far as I know, require a backflow valve but would work anyway http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbin ... 705/p48347

Bob

I could Bob, but the last time I tried doing plumbing work, I ran into trouble, because the main plumbing in the house is stainless steel. Maybe there's better fitments on the market these days, for fitting copper to stainless. :?

In this case I would turn off the water and fit a 'T'' fitting (with a valve) above the stop-cock. (Always assuming I could fit a slip-on fitting for the tap, ) and then fix the tap to the wall just inside the garage doors.

S'pose I should look into fittings for steel to copper. Cheers Bob.

John

Benchwayze":22gqfwj5 said:
Now I am getting confused! :lol:

The only thing I know about water, for certain, is it runs downhill! 8)

pm sent.

I've been to a place in NZ where water definitely "appears" to run uphill :lol:

Bob

Back