Just won this vintage machine..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a large jiffy bag full of my old imperial and sae allen keys in an old drawer in the garage

I could post you one (or maybe even two) if youre desperate. But postage will take about a week and a half mind.

Switch had to be rewired as was cut and had no earth!

The frame its built on is really well made! I will be reskinning it with walnut MDF I have no use for

Got the key bud! Thanks tho !

Quick question.. might I have to level the tables with shims if I can't find an adjustment feature?

Damn! I cant bear to throw all those keys away, but they truly have no further use.

Worry about shims when you get there. Something as old as that would have been made to much closer tolerances than anything today.
Take your time cleaning, and dont file anything! i would use nothing fiercer than fine grade steel wool on the first go round. Better to have a bit of ingrained rust than a wonky surface after.

Yeah on first inspection tables seem parrellel to a certain degree - I have the veritas steel straight edge and have been testing with a business card

I just sharpened up the knives (they were terrible) and just ran a few small boards - they seem to be flat and true !

It creates very differnt shavings to my dewalt 733 - much more pillowy soft!

It looks like the ones advertised in woodworker magazine in the 70's. To clean the tables I use a Stanley knife blade in a holder, it takes a little practice to find the correct angle then scotchbrite makes a nice finish

I have a dw1150 and recently got an old wadkin 9 bft. The shavings produced are very different between the two, those off the Wadkin look just like yours. My conclusion was that it was due to the larger cutting circle on the Wadkin.

Thanks for the tip Wallace!

As far as machinery goes how well built would you say it is?

Fiddling with it some more today,

Elliott

Back