Just how bad are cheaper planes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ED65":16xicj2c said:
I wouldn't class modern Stanley stuff in quite the same category as they're not really cheap, but even they are subject to the occasional lemon according to some buyer accounts, where either they need a lot of fettling or there are enough cumulative faults that the plane can't be made to work properly.

I think the best of the cheaper planes are the Faithfulls, but even Silverlines (despite being much maligned)

I'm glad you think the Faithfulls are ok. I'm starting to kit out my workshop as part of improving my woodworking skills, I'm looking for a couple half decent planes. I've had my eye on the Faithfulls in preference to the new Stanleys, not because the former are cheaper than the Stanleys, but purely because I didn't like the fact that the Stanleys are using 'plastic' handles. IMHO they look cheap, so it makes me question the quality - I'll find out soon enough I suppose.

OWK

I have a Faithfull No. 7. It works well and good value. As others have said, a no. 7 does not get that much use (depending, of course, on what you make) but it does its job.

Well the Stanley #4 and Record #5 have arrived. Very pleased with both. The Record came razor sharp too (digs into my nail under it's own weight). The #5 has already done the majority of what I wanted, my joins are now smooth, hurrah.

Both have a split pressed steel lever for adjusting the depth rather than a one piece (needed a bit of bending on the Record as one half didn't engage). From the Stanley dating flowchart that seems to suggest a 20, but its black, so maybe a 19/20 hybrid or something. The Frog on the Stanley has QC 20 stamped into it near the mouth.

Whatever, it works.

If they are Stanley but made in England, the US type studies don't exactly apply. AFAIK nobody has produced UK date guides in that sort of detail.

I bought a Faithful Plane a few years ago it was just under £25 for the plane, a block plane and a wooden box to put them in. Both have been really good and sharpen up nicely. Can't complain at all for the money.

AndyT":2o4ya47i said:
If they are Stanley but made in England, the US type studies don't exactly apply. AFAIK nobody has produced UK date guides in that sort of detail.

Ahh thanks Andy. Interesting.

From the US guides at least this is entirely a 19 apart from that one part. Hardly in mint condition and mega rare so it hardly maters hehe.

Back