Jet JML-1014 or AXI AH-1215vs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
I got the turning bug when I bought a B&D drill powered lathe out of my paper round wages at the age of 15. I later motorised it and eventually bought a Tyme Cub followed by an inherited Coronet Elf. It's many years since I sold those but I've been hankering after one again for a while.
I have no wish to turn large bowls or long spindles and a mini / midi lathe suits my needs and available space perfectly so I used the Harrogare show to look carefully at a couple.
The little Coronet was disappointing as it felt rough and especially the tailstock was far from a smooth action, however, I was impressed by the Jet JML-1014 and almost gave in there and then.

I can get the basic lathe for around £260 or a package with Axi SK80 chuck plus C jaws for £323 to £333 and have just about talked myself into the package deal, however I spotted that Axi are offering a "clearance" on their AH-1215vs at less than £240 marketed as hobby use.

I've never had variable speed so won't miss it although all the reviews say it's a must so I'm torn even if still leaning towards the Jet

Opinions please would be much appreciated

Bob

I have that very jet lathe and chuck, and have to say I love using it (although it's currently been relocated to the attic due to lack of space). I tried out a variable speed model first but didn't really see the point, the little jet is so easy to switch between speeds that it only takes a minute or two to achieve.
My only criticism would be the supplied rest is a tad small, and requires moving a lot to complete a job, however it's easy to buy a new longer rest if you need to. The other nice thing is that you can get the extension bars, should you decide at a later date you want more length.

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

Thanks deserter.
The rests won't be a problem for me as I have a small Cowell 90 metal lathe. I also have a number of items from earlier days including a couple of rests which I'm sure I can modify. I might have to buy a morse 2 to 1 sleeve for some of the other items.

What I did note at the show was that Jet lathes were among the makes used by the dmonstrators which is always a good sign.

Bob

I read an article some twenty years ago where they had done a survey which revealed that something like 87% of first lathe owners wished they had bought something larger. Worth a thought. Another point - once you've had a variable speed, you'd not dream of going back to a manual, fixed speed machine.

phil.p":3h3kej0y said:
I read an article some twenty years ago where they had done a survey which revealed that something like 87% of first lathe owners wished they had bought something larger. Worth a thought. Another point - once you've had a variable speed, you'd not dream of going back to a manual, fixed speed machine.

Thanks Philip

I'm not a first time user even though I haven't had a lathe for a while as I turned on and off for many years. The coronet elf was 30" and tyme cub was smaller (can't remember exactly) and I never wanted anything larger. I must be one of the other 13%. :)

The lathe won't be used extensively and the cost of the Jet is about as much as I want to pay, bearing in mind I need to replace chucks and tools so really my question should have been would I be sacrificing quality by buying the Axi rather than the Jet for the sake of gaining variable speed?
My other, only slight concern, is that with manual belt change there's little to go wrong whereas vs could be an expensive replacement if the electronics start acting up. Oh, and I think I read that the Jet has 5 year warranty - Axi has 3 but I can't find that now so could be wrong. :?

They're possibly all imports from the same factories and jus rebadged but my impression of the Jet was that it was solid and pretty well finished. I haven't seen the Axi in the flesh and have no way of doing so in Northumberland.

cheers

Bob

do you mean the 1218vs , i got this lathe a couple of weeks ago its very nice, but i got the ext bed and what a differance it makes

I bought the 1014 (package with chuck etc) from axminster last Christmas as my first lathe. I am no expert, but I can honestly say I have had no regrets at all. I wondered about the variable speed issue, but can change the speed in about 20 seconds anyway (and it probably makes me think a bit more about the speed I want).

Martin10":1pzsjp0b said:
I wondered about the variable speed issue, but can change the speed in about 20 seconds anyway (and it probably makes me think a bit more about the speed I want).
That was my thinking as well Martin.
Strange that Axminster show the basic machine, the chuck and the jaws all in stock but the special package as out of stock. They must sell the chucks to Jet / Brimarc and repackage them as a bundle before taking back into stock :?

do you mean the 1218vs , i got this lathe a couple of weeks ago its very nice, but i got the ext bed and what a differance it makes
Hi John. Yes it is the 1218 - thick fingered typo on my part :lol:

Bob

The thing with variable speed isn't so much the time saved, it's having the choice of ANY speed - you can put something on out of balance that shakes like hell at 600rpm, shakes like hell at 700rpm - and is perfectly steady at 650 rpm. Two cuts later, it might shake at 650rpm and be steady at 600rpm - and so on. It's rather like having a shake from an out of balance wheel on your car - it might shake like hell at 70mph, but be fine at 65mph or 75mph, which is a sod if have to hold it at 70mph.

phil.p":1w2eo85n said:
The thing with variable speed isn't so much the time saved, it's having the choice of ANY speed - you can put something on out of balance that shakes like hell at 600rpm, shakes like hell at 700rpm - and is perfectly steady at 650 rpm. Two cuts later, it might shake at 650rpm and be steady at 600rpm - and so on. It's rather like having a shake from an out of balance wheel on your car - it might shake like hell at 70mph, but be fine at 65mph or 75mph, which is a sod if have to hold it at 70mph.

Thanks Phil

I haven't written off the Axi 1218vs which looks good value at £240 so I could buy a chuck as well for virtually the same price as the Jet package.
It's just that I can't physically look at one. A bit of touchy / feely is always nice :lol: and the "hobby" label puts me off somewhat!
Johnphilip seems very happy with his purchase.

Bob

Hi Bob,
I have two lathes, a Jet 1642 which I've had for about 6 years and last year I bought a Jet mini 1014 as a portable lathe to take to keep in the workshop for small stuff, for external demos and for our hands-on days at our club.

My 1014 is a brilliant little lathe and really wish I'd bought one as my first or second lathe rather than buying a poor quality larger capacity lathes. I have used an Axi M330 in the past and the Jet is noticeably beefier.

The difference of the 1014 from the Axminster 1218vs is in the lowest speed you can get out of it 400 versus 500 and the quality of the motor. Almost certainly the Axi does not have a continuously rated motor. The Jet is trade rated and the Axi is hobby rated.

The only niggle I have with my little Jet is that the MT socket in the headstock is too shallow to take tanged MTs so I use a MT carrier on my chuck but otherwise it's great.

HTH
Jon

chipmunk":2lxtqzuy said:
Hi Bob,
I have two lathes, a Jet 1642 which I've had for about 6 years and last year I bought a Jet mini 1014 as a portable lathe to take to keep in the workshop for small stuff, for external demos and for our hands-on days at our club.

My 1014 is a brilliant little lathe and really wish I'd bought one as my first or second lathe rather than buying a poor quality larger capacity lathes. I have used an Axi M330 in the past and the Jet is noticeably beefier.

The difference of the 1014 from the Axminster 1218vs is in the lowest speed you can get out of it 400 versus 500 and the quality of the motor. Almost certainly the Axi does not have a continuously rated motor. The Jet is trade rated and the Axi is hobby rated.

The only niggle I have with my little Jet is that the MT socket in the headstock is too shallow to take tanged MTs so I use a MT carrier on my chuck but otherwise it's great.

HTH
Jon

Thanks Jon

Comments much appreciated. Shame you love yours or I'd offer to buy it :wink: Quite a nice run out to Winermere!

Actually, I'm watching one so will wait and see before buying new. I might have bought already if Axminster had stock. They have in some of their shops but too far away for me to travel.
I think I'll be placing an order somewh ere this weekend. :) Do you have any experience of the SK80 chuck / C jaws?

Bob

chipmunk":2ke8uomx said:
Jon
Having upgraded my lathe I have a number of tanged 1MT drives & centres which won't fit the normal MT1 to MT2 adaptor. However I found a cheap solution in MT1 to MT2 sleeves from Arc Euro Trade,

- http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue ... rs-Sleeves

Do you have any experience of the SK80 chuck / C jaws?
I have 4 Axminster chucks, two for my old lathe & two for my new one. You shouldn't have any problems with the SK80.
I've never understood the reasoning behind the 'C' jaws. Their shape just seems to be an extra obstacle for beginners to overcome - seasoned turners will take them in their stride of course. Much better IMHO to have the parallel 'gripper' jaws with serrations or standard tapered jaws.

Hi Bob,
I have an SPC chuck, a Goliath and an old SK100 (nickel plated version) chuck which I bought for my 1014.

I'm not sure I see that advantage of the SK80 and I'd buy an SK100 if I were you. The extra jaw capacity is more useful IMHO.

I use the C-jaws because I have them already but like Robbo would rather have other jaws but in my case it'd have to be another set of nesting O'Donnell jaws.

Rather than paying full Axi Jet prices try ringing a local Jet distributor and see if they'll do you a deal. They know you can always buy from Axi and so they should be prepared to offer you a bit of discount on that price. That's how I bought both of my Jets.

HTH
Jon

Hi Jon

I've been on the website of every Jet dealer I can find but will ring and negotiate once I've made a decision. The lathe +chuck + C jaws is £333 delivered and I can't find it cheaper anywhere. (There is one offering a different chuck for £359), One of the dealers replied that he is selling around 4 per week, has 5 in stock with more due Dec. Some of the others haven't replied :roll: so either can't be bothered or not very efficient.
I have found the basic lathe, delivered for £237.50 which is £54 off the Axi price, if they have stock! So... that would effectively give me £95 towards buying a chuck and jaws other than the K80 / C jaws

What to do - what to do :? :?

Not a bad problem to have though is it. The only stipulation is that I'd need to produce something as justification. Never turned pens and definately fancy a go :)

Bob

UPDATE

Well it's ordered.

I sent an email last night to Turners Retreat who had the Jet 1014 listed on their website at £237.50 delivered and got a reply 1st thing this morning to say the price was incorrect as it should be £292 and it had now been corrected, however they have 1 in stock and would honour the price if I wanted it, so I did as it's a great price.

A great response from Turners Retreat as they could easily have said no stock or reserved the right not to sell. They will definately get more of my business as I look for a chuck, tools and pen stuff etc.

NOW...... have to think seriously about that chuck.. :? :-k Oh and where to put my new toy :lol:

Bob

Hi Bob,
It's a slippery slope you're on now... :wink:

You now need to get yourself or make yourself a stable stand or bench at the right height to put it on. I like my lathe centre height just at elbow level and it also helps if you can stand quite close - often makes Workmate stands more uncomfortable for long periods. Here's a link to a photo of mine if you're interested... http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag49/jonathanagibbs/IMG_20121203_201956_552_zps304d5457.jpg.

I hope the new baby lives up to expectations.

Jon

Latest posts

Back