Inghamish box...DUN...and Re-visited

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone else noticed that Wooden,,,,,, :p

Got to say-except for the feet thats a masterpiece Rob, you should rightly be pleased and proud, the feet dont look nearly as weird as on the original, but I suppose RI is allowed some artistic license and quirkiness.
If I was skilled enough to make that I would experiment with dulling the brass down with coloured laquer so that the brass would glint through it a little ?, or would carry the amazing form* of the handle through to the feet (*it looks very oriental)

Just my opinion :wink:

woodbloke":2o6sw74y said:
Paul Chapman":2o6sw74y said:
A lovely job, Rob =D>

I think I would have gone for Ebony feet.

Cheers :wink:

Paul
That's an easily doable possibility Paul, but I wanted to get the authentic Inghamish look which is why I went for brass. They're only screwed on, so could be replaced if I get fed up with the brass look. I did think about getting some round feet from CHT but I thought that thin bits of 3mm brass would look better. I also um'd and err'd about placing them flush, but went for the 3mm overhang...again in keeping with the RI theme - Rob

Trying to be a bit more constructive, I think the beauty of the piece is in the burr veneers and the way they contrast with the Ebony strips. The piece is quite complex, yet at the same time it has a certain simplicity. However, the eye is immediately distracted by the brass feet and one is left thinking "What's all that about?"

I think you have been too influenced by Robert Ingham's box (the feet of which I don't like either).

I know your's is based on Robert's box but I think those brass feet have to go!

But I love the little handle :)

Paul

Paul Chapman":3jfewots said:
I know your's is based on Robert's box but I think those brass feet have to go!

But I love the little handle :)

Paul
OK...the brass feet are simply screwed on and could be easily removed in around 30 seconds. But what then can they be replaced with?..a full plinth going all the way round in ebony:

34350ggd7-1.jpg

I don't think this sort of plinth though is going to look right with this sort of project and besides I'm running short of material to do a full plinth like this.
More square feet again in ebony to replace the brass:

p1.jpg

as in this box (maybe set flush as here)
or perhaps some turned cylindrical feet to match the handle?

Open here to ideas and suggestions? - Rob

As there's already a lot going on with all the squares, I'd be inclined to keep it simple and either go for no feet or squares of Ebony set flush, as in the example you posted.

Paul

Paul Chapman":1jhs84nw said:
As there's already a lot going on with all the squares, I'd be inclined to keep it simple and either go for no feet or squares of Ebony set flush, as in the example you posted.

Paul
Thanks Paul. I'm going to go with the majority view and take off the feet and cover the holes with some squares of green baize d/s'd taped to the base and set back from the edge so they won't be visible...another pic later when it's been done :wink: Musn't panic 8-[ [-o<

23BoxexteriorSMALL.jpg

Brass carbuncles have now gone...better? [-o< 8-[ - Rob

Much, Much, Better, busy enough as it is and looks solid substantial construction that could be any scale you liked to imagine.

Rob, that looks much better now. Infact it looks fantastic. Really nice job indeed.

Nice one Rob. I know it can take ages to decide on feet remember the issues with one of mine, still not sure mine are right. Nearly as bad as handles.

I can't add much to the comments. It's all been said, and I endorse all of the compliments Rob.

I can live with the feet, and they look less obtrusive than the turned feet in that example you showed us.

I think the negativity towards them is because you showed the underside. Maybe if you attached them with epoxy (Shock-horror) and covered the underside of the feet with green felt the under-view wood look better. It would also protect polished surfaces from the brass.

Overall... Super workmanship Rob. So my ideas on the feet are just a thought.

I was puzzled by the point re 'pull out trays'.
The trays in the original are what I might term 'lift-out' trays or boxes. Such as you find in blanket chests. Pull-out trays are more like a shallow drawer to me. But I am an awkward. pedantic cuss at times! 8)

Regards
John :D

Benchwayze":zj3yojcb said:
I was puzzled by the point re 'pull out trays'.
The trays in the original are what I might term 'lift-out' trays or boxes. Such as you find in blanket chests. Pull-out trays are more like a shallow drawer to me. But I am an awkward. pedantic cuss at times! 8)

Regards
John :D
...which is how I interpreted it John. I still have the brass feet and may well use them for another project later on. To fit them as I had them originally (with screws) was to be fair, a bit clunky and did make the underside look 'odd'...but then the underside isn't seen most of the time. Perhaps they would have looked better fitted flush to the sides of the box rather than a 3mm overlap? :duno: As you say, fitting them with a dab of epoxy would have been a neater way of doing the job, but then how would I have got them off again without completely manglising the underside of the box...tricky one :wink: - Rob

Rob,

I'm a little late getting on board but I also must echo the compliments. It looks like a very impressive piece of work with very obvious skill and detail.

I've been pondering about the legs and I must remain on the fence about the brass feet. However, now that they are off are you going to leave the piece, hmmmm, legless, if you will? I think I saw some one suggest mirroring the handle. How about mitering short cylindrical sections at the corners. Or maybe its best as it is? Just some simple minded food for thought.

Again, a lovely piece. Well done.

Eoin

eoinsgaff":5jkmrqot said:
Rob,

I've been pondering about the legs and I must remain on the fence about the brass feet. However, now that they are off are you going to leave the piece, hmmmm, legless, if you will? I think I saw some one suggest mirroring the handle. How about mitering short cylindrical sections at the corners. Or maybe its best as it is? Just some simple minded food for thought.

Eoin
Thanks E, I think this one's now dun n'dusted...it's going to remain 'legless' but as I'm off to see my brother this weekend, I will be also :-" :-" :-D :lol: - Rob

That is one heck of beautiful box!!!!

Well done, stunning.

I can only imagine the amount of fiddly work required!

Latest posts

Back