Identifying tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

columbiers

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the hobby, bought a second hand lathe and chisels and some wood blanks and I'm ready to go.
Problem is that having bought second hand chisels I'm not sure what each is! I've tried comparing them to online pics but I'm still not 100% on them. I've also got the Rowley book. I think I have identified some correctly but would appreciate a proper run down on them.

I bought second hand to get better quality than I could have justified spending on new. They're all marples apart from one Henry Taylor.
This is them:
gouges.JPG

Attachments

• gouges.JPG
    gouges.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,405
+1 for NazNomad comment, need to see a side view of the blade on the two right hand ones to discount absolutely being wood turning parting gouges but otherwise hand carving tools is my suggestion.

The six on the left are definitly carving tools an should never be used on a lathe. the other two I would like to see a phot at a different angle but my first thought is they are not for turning

Oh no, how annoying! They were sold as wood turning chisels/gouges. Total waste of money for me.

I hope so, paid £70 with postage.
I'm hoping to return them to avoid the hassle of selling them on. (i got them on ebay)

They're all carving gouges.
You regularly get carving gouges and standard wood chisels, even screw drivers sometimes (!) sold as turning tools on ebay.

columbiers":lzty7x8s said:
I hope so, paid £70 with postage.
I'm hoping to return them to avoid the hassle of selling them on. (i got them on ebay)

You could always take up carving as well! I've got the Marples set, cost about £17 forty years ago.

Yep. Them's the ones!

Perform used to be Axminster's hobby range tool brand - think B&D vs Makita. Perfectly serviceable and will get you going. Marples aren't really known for turning tools (and may be carbon rather than high speed steel) but will be fine.

Only tool not there is a bowl gouge if you want to do faceplate stuff but there are often sold used individually or even could by new.

S

I can confirm that the one on the right is a Henry Taylor micro turning tool. I have a set of them and if you have adequate eyesight, they're great.

Good luck!

Steve

Managed to return them now and bought the used set of Sorby below for less so all worked out well. Managed to turn a few pens nicely. Had a go at a bowl too which was MUCH trickier. Tools seem really good though, only missing a round nose scraper.

s-l1600.jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 980
Back