I found this bit of wood you see!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bean

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all it seems a long time since I posted anything in here, but now I am.
I had a nice board of black walnut and a few bits and bobs so I made these

BlackWalnut-myrtleCoffer.jpg
[/img]

Black walnut box and lid with oak pegs and myrtle hinges swinging on some brass bar........ and no the lid is not curling up its a thick shadow line, though I must admit it does look like its curling. :?

BlackWalnut-AshCoffer.jpg

This time a bit smaller and with some lovely olive ash for the hinges

I hope you like them

Fantastic work Bean.

Love that wood and the hinges are superb - makes my brass plated hinges look like poor cousins.

Shadow line eh? :whistle: :wink:

Bean - nice work.....on the first box, the lid is binding at the back which is the reason for the 'shadow gap' at the front. One or two shavings off the underside or edge ought to correct it. When the lid is seating correctly on the box you should be able to insert a thin piece of paper 'twixt lid and base and slide it along without any resistance. You may well need to repeat the fitting process several times before you get it just right :wink: - Rob

:oops: Thank you folks your comments are appreciated.

Sorry rob I can assure you that it is not binding as I fit all lids and cabinet doors on shims to ensure that there is a couple of thou, well 10 actually gap.

I will have to take a few more photos for the hinges and the inside. Ther is not a lot in the boxes except a bit of lovely couloured and spalted Elm for the bottom.
The hinges are really simple affairs and non too clever but I will photo them for you all.

Many thanks again.

Nice box. I ike the range of colours in the wood. I always think its a shame when only the same coloured piece of timber is used.
Owen

I'm also a fan of using all of a board with the different tones, to me it makes a piece more individual, and I feel you have done a good job of the layout to get the 'flow' looking right.

Very nice, Bean. Lovely wood. I too would like to see the inside but also a little more on the hinges. Maybe just a close up from the back of the box.

Bob

Bean wrote:
Sorry rob I can assure you that it is not binding as I fit all lids and cabinet doors on shims to ensure that there is a couple of thou, well 10 actually gap
Bean - from the fotographic pics supplied, there is a huge gap under the front of the box lid. 'Binding' may not have been the correct terminology, I apologize, but the front should close with the minimum 'shadow gap', not the 1 or 2mm tapering gap (which clearly shows that the lid is catching at the back somewhere) or the lid has indeed been the subject of some localised movement :wink: :) - Rob

Out of interest, what is a good way to ensure that a lid doesn't cup away from the front of a box, is it just down to how you orientate it?

In a box like this I'd use true quarter sawn stock for the lid which would need to have been conditioned indoors for a period, much less chance then of it cupping - Rob

Bean - from the fotographic pics supplied, there is a huge gap under the front of the box lid. 'Binding' may not have been the correct terminology

HUGE Mmmm Rob I think you need to see an optician :wink:

Bean - nowt wrong with my lamps :D, I do suggest, however that you go back and have a much closer look at the gap under your box lid. This is a box that I made last year..... although it looks like there is a gap 'twixt lid and base in fact there isn't 'cos a chamfer has been worked on all exterior edges:

pwpfipekfkekri.jpg

The lid on the box above actually closes like the one shown below:

ertytytytyty.jpg

.......which I recently finished. The oak box I'm afeared I can't 'fotograph any closer to prove my point :wink: 'cos I gave it away to an American millionairess as a wedding present :( and it now resides in Copenhagen - Rob

Back