How to free jammed mortise lock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bear

Established Member
Reaction score
This week is obviously the week for everything to break in my house. So far I've had a broken oven (thanks for the help in fixing that), blocked drain, broken macerator, a few minor things and now a jammed lock. I've only been here 3 months.

The wooden side door to the garage has a mortise lock. The handle moves the latchbolt (is that the correct term) freely but the key operated dead lock is jammed. I can move the key about a sixth of a turn then it is rock solid. I can get inside the garage (through the up and over door) and it is the same when operating from the inside.

I have a feeling something inside the lock has moved/broken. I think this because about 2 months ago I had a similar problem but on that occasion the door was open, so I was able to take the handles off and slide the lock out of the edge of the door. I took it apart and fixed it. Problem this time is its jammed in the closed and locked position so I cant get to any part of the lock.

Any suggestion of what I can do without damaging the frame? Or do I need a locksmith, or is there even anything a locksmith can do?

Clearly I will be fitting a new lock if I get it out this time and not fixing it again.

Thanks

Mark

Any idea how thin the thinest are Phil. The fit is very snug and can't see me doing it without causing some damage. How hard is the metal likely to be, possibly thinking hacksaw blade as an alternative

Mark

Grind or file the tops of the hinge pins and tap the pins out with a nail and then take off the door from the hinge side when you have repaired the lock replace the pins with the non cut off ends uppermost.

Several good ideas guys thanks. I don't have a multitool (assuming you mean Dremel-like, Pete) so can't do that. I'll take a look for the thin grinder blades. I'll also take a look at the hinges tomorrow, that method never crossed my mind powertools.

Thanks

Mark

This sort of multi-tool would do the job without damage to the door...
images

powertools":2o1gw6ss said:
Grind or file the tops of the hinge pins and tap the pins out with a nail and then take off the door from the hinge side when you have repaired the lock replace the pins with the non cut off ends uppermost.

+1 as above, very good idea, no damage, Simples.
Rodders

Don't have ones of those either Roger though a Fein multimaster is on the wish list :D

Mark

Another Q, this time in relation to the replacement lock I'm going to need. I'd like to buy the new one in advance of getting the old one out so I can fit it straight away and not have compromised security. Yes I can screw the door shut but would like to slot the new one straight in.

But do all these locks have the same geometry? IE will the key holes, door handle holes be the same, or do I need to be careful what I buy. Obviously I'd like to drop the new one in and all line up rather than cut new holes. Are they all the same?

Mark

Silly question first, Is the key you are using, the right one for that lock?
I take it you have tried the key at different depths, in the lock. (I've been caught out before)!
Get The right backset (door edge to handle spindle/key centre) and having just changed 7 locks, for replacement chubb-type with older mortice locks, the newer ones I found to be just a little tighter in the mortice, which needed easing, the screw holes were different and the lock boxes needed lowering 3mm.
But no real problems HTH Regards Rodders

Haha yes the right key, my wife made me check that! Yes Also tried different depths and slight angles. Because it got jammed in the open position a few months ago I'm pretty certain the bit that slipped inside the lock has slipped again. I won't be opening it and repairing at again though even if I did get it out without damaging it, too much hassle for it to happen a third time!

Looking online they seem to be 22mm wide, and vary in height so I guess I'm going to have to get the old one out first.

Mark

The Bear":3tdhaki2 said:
Haha yes the right key, my wife made me check that! Yes Also tried different depths and slight angles. Because it got jammed in the open position a few months ago I'm pretty certain the bit that slipped inside the lock has slipped again. I won't be opening it and repairing at again though even if I did get it out without damaging it, too much hassle for it to happen a third time!

Looking online they seem to be 22mm wide, and vary in height so I guess I'm going to have to get the old one out first.

Mark
AHH! sorry to hear that.
As you say get the old lock out first, and try and replace like for like may be a good idea.
I believe Union have lost the manufacturing and sales rights under the Chubb banner, so I'm not sure on that front.
If you don't know, Can I advise you not to buy a lock with any other than brass catch and lock tongue?
In a rush I bought a lock with aluminium bits mentioned, it marked easily and formed a groove,so the catch just jammed, just as if it were angle ground within about 6 months!
Regards Rodders

Hi. Yes, I meant a Fein-type multitool, not a dremel. Sounds like you have a sash lock - combined lever handle and mortice lock?? The lock body should be a standard size, assuming it's a UK lock; standard lock depths are 2 1/2" / 63mm or 3" / 75mm - you can check from outside by measuring the backset i.e. the distance between the door edge and the keyhole centre:-

image.jpg

HTH Pete

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 4,042
Pedant alert

petermillard":ek2hv7tt said:
assuming it's a UK lock; standard lock depths are 2 1/2" / 63mm or 3" / 65mm -

3" / 75mm ?

An interesting topic. Tell us how it all turns out.

Latest posts

Back