Honing stones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karfeef

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Does anyone know any way of finding anything about honing stones? Bit of a long shot I know. I found 2 in a kind of outhouse in a Victorian house I live in. They are slightly different sizes, and currently black, although a brief blast of wd40 revealed at least one of them to be a brown colour.

I used one to sharpen an old chisel I had in an old tool box and it did an excellent job

Sent from my GT-I9300

karfeef":eejcszwe said:
Hi all. Does anyone know any way of finding anything about honing stones? Bit of a long shot I know. I found 2 in a kind of outhouse in a Victorian house I live in. They are slightly different sizes, and currently black, although a brief blast of wd40 revealed at least one of them to be a brown colour.

I used one to sharpen an old chisel I had in an old tool box and it did an excellent job

Sent from my GT-I9300

You can either buy the lovely TATHS publication, or you can clean 'em up and post photos here...

A good approximation to cleaning is to sharpen (something) using very light, clean, lubrication, e.g. white spirit, paraffin, baby oil.

ETA;
http://www.taths.org.uk/special-publications.htm

"Natural 19th and Early 20th Century Sharpening Stones and Hones" by Brian Read and Doug Morgan

BugBear

Thanks Bugbear, I'll post photos once I've gotten through the years of gunk they are covered in

Sent from my GT-I9300

karfeef":1s8b3plf said:
Thanks Bugbear, I'll post photos once I've gotten through the years of gunk they are covered in

Sent from my GT-I9300

There's another thread here somewhere about reviving / cleaning the gunk off old stones - something along the lines of soaking it in a degreaser of some sort for a day or two.

Latest posts

Back