Homemade Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slides well

Attachments

• tail end.jpg
    tail end.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 751
got a bit of a blow out with the forstner bit

Attachments

• housing end.jpg
    housing end.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 751
Coming along nicely. :)

You might want to scallop the edges of your knobs - makes it much easier to get a grip.

Sorry to say I think you will find that your lathe structure is not going to be anywhere near rigid or strong enough to enable the machining of something 14-1/2" diameter.

If you are considering hollowing out solid wood forms of the size you mentioned the forces involved with weight and the overhang will be far beyond the wooden headstock you have.

The forces involved are considerable and even my cast metal headstock,tool rest assembly and tailstock require machining with circumspect on something that large.

I would say you will be OK with spindle work and small diameter pieces say up to 100mm dia.

Robbo3":2bgzns6t said:
Coming along nicely. :)

You might want to scallop the edges of your knobs - makes it much easier to get a grip.

yeh thanks,might put some grooves on there,i will be making a special one for the tail stock wheel

CHJ":2zas3mn9 said:
Sorry to say I think you will find that your lathe structure is not going to be anywhere near rigid or strong enough to enable the machining of something 14-1/2" diameter.

If you are considering hollowing out solid wood forms of the size you mentioned the forces involved with weight and the overhang will be far beyond the wooden headstock you have.

The forces involved are considerable and even my cast metal headstock,tool rest assembly and tailstock require machining with circumspect on something that large.

I would say you will be OK with spindle work and small diameter pieces say up to 100mm dia.

yeh i hear ya,the idea of putting a log on there has been nibbling away at me for a while now,what if i get a steel tailstock made up? i will be making 12" djembe,so the log,if i ever get my hands on one,will be cut down to 13" or so,and 22" long,

CRAFTY":1e1jans0 said:
...the log,if i ever get my hands on one,will be cut down to 13" or so,and 22" long,

If it was Sycamore (a reasonably light wood) it would weigh about 36 Lbs per cu ft. if it is dried and you would have approx. 1.98 Cu ft. , If it's green it could be nearly double that weight.

See Here

Crafty. Please don't think my following comments are criticism or in any way trying to put you down, that is not my point. Actually being a "backstreet bodger" myself I love seeing people have a go. But.
Seriously dude, are you really considering putting a log on your lathe and then hoping to turn it safely?? Come on bro' that's most likely going to end in tears.
There's an underlying trait/trend with the members here, and it is one of not wanting to see or hear of someone getting hurt. I'm absolutely with Chas(CHJ) on this. Your lathe will possibly be okay for a little spindle turning, but nothing of great diameter.
You know with this turning lark you're right in the line of fire if it goes **** up, right??
Have a little look at these links below. The people involved were far more experienced than I, and they ended up paying the ultimate price.
Stay safe mate.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread. ... ing-Deaths

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread. ... -the-lathe

n0legs":12mvszei said:
Crafty. Please don't think my following comments are criticism or in any way trying to put you down, that is not my point. Actually being a "backstreet bodger" myself I love seeing people have a go. But.
Seriously dude, are you really considering putting a log on your lathe and then hoping to turn it safely?? Come on bro' that's most likely going to end in tears.
There's an underlying trait/trend with the members here, and it is one of not wanting to see or hear of someone getting hurt. I'm absolutely with Chas(CHJ) on this. Your lathe will possibly be okay for a little spindle turning, but nothing of great diameter.
You know with this turning lark you're right in the line of fire if it goes **** up, right??
Have a little look at these links below. The people involved were far more experienced than I, and they ended up paying the ultimate price.
Stay safe mate.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread. ... ing-Deaths

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread. ... -the-lathe
no your fine man,i'm here to listen and learn,i had my doubts well before i started the lathe,i will be just sticking with bowls and lamps for now anyway to see how it turns,no i don't want a log thrown at me or lose any limbs,so i won't put one on,cheers,

got my shaft,it's 25mm thick with 20mm threads each end

Attachments

• 20170116_152941.jpg
    20170116_152941.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 802
the disc sander will be on this end

Attachments

• 20170116_152951.jpg
    20170116_152951.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 803
  • 20170116_153009.jpg
    20170116_153009.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 803
Hi Crafty, I'm following your build with great interest.

I would also like to weigh in with some words of caution (while not wishing to dampen your enthusiasm):

One of the most dangerous times with a fixed speed lathe is when you switch it on for the first time after mounting a new piece of wood in it.

If you have variable speed you can start from zero and slowly ramp the speed up and quickly back it off if the lathe starts vibrating. You don't have that luxury with fixed speed lathes. In that case, it's most important to be able to switch it off quickly, and the switch should be located where it doesn't cause you to stand in the line of fire (anywhere near in front of the lathe).

You would be surprised how painful it is to be struck on the head with even a small piece of wood coming loose. Ask me how I know!! A large log flying off a fixed speed lathe could have very serious consequences.

selectortone":qmd9esxe said:
Hi Crafty, I'm following your build with great interest.

I would also like to weigh in with some words of caution (while not wishing to dampen your enthusiasm):

One of the most dangerous times with a fixed speed lathe is when you switch it on for the first time after mounting a new piece of wood in it.

If you have variable speed you can start from zero and slowly ramp the speed up and quickly back it off if the lathe starts vibrating. You don't have that luxury with fixed speed lathes. In that case, it's most important to be able to switch it off quickly, and the switch should be located where it doesn't cause you to stand in the line of fire (anywhere near in front of the lathe).

You would be surprised how painful it is to be struck on the head with even a small piece of wood coming loose. Ask me how I know!! A large log flying off a fixed speed lathe could have very serious consequences.
hay Selectortone,thanks for the advice it's much appreciated,the motor is 11500 rpm/220-240 volt,50-60hz,no way i'm running it without a speed reg,i won't be putting a log on,that idea does not fit for some reason,when i have the lathe in place and mounted to legs i will be looking at making up some style of protection bars,fixed to the wall of the shed,not sure what i will do yet i will look at it later,
man that's some collection of axes you got there,your first one the Isana archtop i like very much,would like a shot of it,as for the Blackbird,what can i say,looks flawless from here and i'm sure it sounds amazing,fair play,and first build =D> ,some groovey looking guitars there to,the size of the tremelo bar on them framus hehe,what are they like? i only finished my first guitar about 3 weeks ago,well nearly,i still need to order my pickups fron Don Mare,and just wire and finish,i'll throw a pic up since your into building.

Thanks Crafty!

That website is quite old now... I recently sold some of those guitars and bought myself a nice big modern lathe.

I'm retired now and haven't built a guitar for a long time - too busy turning!

so was just in the shed thinking about protection from the lathe,first idea is garden mesh,the good stuff,was thinking if i tie it from the bench to the roof and across the width of the lathe,cut holes out where needed and put foam on the edge of the hole,have a length of 2 by 1 across the bottom screwed to the bench and when i need to just lift it straight up and hook on the roof every time the lathe is off,that's my first,just untill i know this bad boy is safe,if it works well and not be a hindrance i might leave it there if it is comfy enough,also a face mask,and body armor,like the romans wore,
until my next light bulb comes on,any other ideas guys? feel free,cheers.

another idea i have for the tail stock is,well basically another tail stock,since i have threaded bar because i changed my plan i might re enforce the tail stock by fixing timber behind the tail stock,and put the threaded bar through it,with a piece of timber on the end, and when i have my piece on the lathe then screw the other bar up against the back of the tail for extra strength,i'm gona go out of my way to make sure nothing bad happens,just on the off chance.

Crafty,

Is there a club or tech college in your area you could visit for some instruction? I think some introductory experience of what 'right' looks, sounds and feels like will really help you.

If I was being cruel (to be kind!), you've asked questions here on building the lathe, how to make tools, about some ambitious (order of magnitude so imho) projects and most recently about the need for some sort of mesh formed glove box to be fabricated from garden fencing products. I really think a little hands on experience would help your project no end and also give me some peace of mind you're not going to get hurt (too badly) in the learning journey.

Sorry if this seems too harsh, or if you already have this experience and my reply seems patronising, it is not intended to be, but there is a danger here of providing multiple advice on several, discrete, aspects of the overall undertaking which all assume a degree of experience to put together safely and with the success you seek.

Brgds'
Simon.

Latest posts

Back