Help with push to open hinges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamesc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am constructing a series of concealed doors to look like a run of panelling but am struggling with the hinges.

As I want the doors to essentially be concealed I am looking a push to open types. As the doors need to butt together as close as possible I have been looking at kichen type hinges.

My problem to a degree is the wealth of choice and in some cases lack of specific information - namely the geometry of the hinge opening.

I have not built the doors or frames yet so any solutions will be gratefully recieved.

Thanks - James

Have at look at SOSS hinges both normal and barrel types and see if they will work?

Ordinary Blum hinges should be fine. You will have to remove the springs if you are using touch catches. It's easy enough, there is a staple shaped clip thingy that separates it, take that out and a bit of white plastic falls out. That's the spring.

Look on the Hettich website there is plenty of technical information showing minimum gaps between doors etc

blum do unsprung hinges, no need to modify them. the blumotion ones can have the soft close turned off. blum website will tell you more. all kinds of opening angles available

Thanks guys for all the input so far, I have been looking at the Sugatsune web site at their self opening hinges and non-magnetic touch latch these seem (on paper at least) to be what I am after. I was hoping for a greater overlay and in particular door thickness 20mm is a little limiting.
With the unsprung hinges will the touch latch throw the boof far enough to open?

James

Word of caution. I don't know how large your doors are going to be but I used some push to open fasteners to achieve the same design objective as you. However I found that the alignment tolerance of the fitting is very critical, the way that they work. Those kitchen type hinges aren't like good old butt hinges and if the door is too big and heavy then the springiness in the hinges goes after a while, the door settles and then is very difficult to open.

DAMHIKT

Thanks Roger, that is interesting. The doors are approx 5' by 2'6". I wal planning on making them of 12mm ply as I have it in stock and gluing the panneling strips on the front. Do you think I should use more hinges say 4 or even 5 of would a mix of hinges be better (assuming I can find them with the same geometry) so that say 2 do the opening and the rest give the support.

James

Back