How do I do this? Help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1/ Hang the door. 2/ Attempt to close the door. 3/ With a sharp chisel, pare away the piece of door that is binding on the frame. 4/ Repeat steps 1 to 3 until door closes.

I agree with tomGW, the problem spot is (from my understanding) purely the top right tip, so cut a triangle off the top of the door, leaving the front face in tact. I also agree that it is worth a trial run on something sacrificial

This was my solution on a door I made a few years ago. It's not pretty, only visible with the door open, but it does work perfectly.
PXL_20231210_192312884.MP.jpg
PXL_20231210_192401182.jpg
PXL_20231210_192322490.jpg

@deema Here is a couple of examples I have done.

The oak understairs door is just a board thickness - that one starts with quite a sharp chamfer that then runs out to nothing about halfway along the sloping length.
The painted wardrobe door has a reducing chamfer along the full length of the sloping top.

I think in both cases I just took a guess and finessed it where necessary. So long as it clears the frame, it isn’t crucial if you over chamfer it, as it is not seen when closed.

Hope that may be of interest.

Cheers

IMG_6912.jpeg

IMG_6912.jpeg
IMG_6913.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6911.jpeg
    IMG_6911.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
@scholar Thanks for the photos, really appreciate it. I think thanks to everyone’s input I have a plan!

As it’s a cupboard which isn’t going to be used very often how about just having the door as a lift off panel held in place by magnets, the plus side is that it will give you a little more room to enter the space.
Ian

As it’s a cupboard which isn’t going to be used very often how about just having the door as a lift off panel held in place by magnets, the plus side is that it will give you a little more room to enter the space.
Ian
Not often, but the door is far too heavy to have it lift off, it needs to swing unfortunately.

Latest posts

Back