height of a woodlathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbycrich

Reaction score
hello everybody. hope you can help I am new to woodturning & I was wondering what height should my wood lathe be I have it on a old side board in my workshop so from the floor to the tool bar it is about 45 inches, is that to high or about right. any help would be appreciated as I want to make my own wooden bench. thanks

Hi

There's no correct height, just what suits you best. A good starting point is to set the centre height to that of your elbow.

Regards Mick

Although my workshop is non-existant now due to me moving out of the marital home, my lathe is still set up there until I can get back to pick it up.

I fitted out the workshop with kitchen units and worktop. The lathe is mounted on top so the spindle centre will be about 42" or thereabouts.

HTH :)

What Spindle said! There is no right or wrong, just what suits you best. Start with the drive centre around elbow height and tune to suit yourself. Personally I like it a little higher, but that is just me.

Back