Hegner single or variable speed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slidgeman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the process of buying a used Hegner scroll saw. I am viewing a few this weekend and both are the multicut-1 with single speed. Hopefully, in time, I would like to do really intricate work. Would I struggle with the single speed compared to a variable? Please advise.

Thanx,

Doug.

Hi Doug and welcome.

I have a variable speed Hegner, but 95% of the time I run it at full speed, even with intricate work.

But if you think you may want to cut anything out of sheet copper or brass then a slower speed is required, gold and silver also require the slower speed, so I am told. :roll:

One thing to bear in mind, you cannot upgrade a single speed Hegner to variable speed.
It would be physically possible but not economically. :shock:

Take care.

Chris R.

ChrisR,

Thanx for the advice. Was all set and perfectly happy to go for the single speed, then I read other posts, then I'm back to square one wondering what to do. lol. Don't think I would have the need to cut metals so you may have helped me to make the decision and just go for the single speed. I could go on forever deciding what to do.

Cheers,

Doug.

I have been the proud owner of the Hegner Multicut 1 single speed for a lot of years.It has done everything that I asked of it and more.I am sure that you will be happy with the projects that can be done with it.The only part that I have had to replace is the concertina spring that puts tension on the blade.That is the black knob at the rear of the machine.

Bryan

I am sorry to upset the apple-cart but personally I would say that the variable speed is well worth the extra cost, I have a Hegner Multicut 2S and a Diamond fretsaw, both are variable speed and I rarely run either at Max speed unless of course I am cutting thick material.

I find the variable speed essential especially when cutting thin materials such as plywood less than 1/4", if you cut at max speed the saw does whizz through the wood and it is more difficult to control with delicate and detailed cuts, another plus is that running at a slower speed means the saw is much quieter and practically vibration free.

For really delicate work the saw can be slowed down to that of a hand-frame allowing more time to control the saw than at a fixed max speed!

If you are an expert scroll-sawer I imagine that you can whizz through delicate cuts at max speed but personally I think my fretwork would not be so enjoyable without the Variable speed option.

John you maybe right about variable speed,to be fair when I bought mine I bought it for the price that I could afford.The forum did not exist, and up to 12 months ago when I joined this wonderful group I was on my own.
Personally I have managed with the speed,and I have no vibration issue.The machine only sounds like a sewing machine which I don't think is that loud. :roll:
I have just been at the scrollsaw and put a disc that you use for a supermarket trolley on its edge on the Hegner table and it remained upright whilst sawing.

Bryan

Sorry but I'm with Scrimper on this one and it's +1 for the variable speed version. Even though it is run most of the time near full speed I do find for delicate stuff that turning down the speed allows me to make some quick turns without the blade getting away from me.

The thing is gonna last forever anyway so why not go the extra mile and have the variable speed facility in your back pocket . . . if you see what I mean?

bodgerbaz":32hngdj9 said:
The thing is gonna last forever anyway so why not go the extra mile and have the variable speed facility in your back pocket . . . if you see what I mean?

That is a good point! Buying a Hegner is like buying for life, it's not like it will only last a few years then you replace it so you only really get one chance to buy what you want. In any case the extra you pay for variable speed will soon be forgotten whereas if you buy the fixed model and later wish you had variable speed; every time you use the saw you will be reminded of that wish!

martinka":1cxw9tvd said:
Is variable speed desirable - Yes
Is variable speed neccessary - No

Is variable speed essential? No
Does variable speed make your scrolling experience much better? YES! (hammer)

martinka":3c3jlq77 said:
Is variable speed desirable - Yes
Is variable speed neccessary - No

Doug Martin has summed it up simply, the choice is up to you,I made my choice a long time ago and I don't regret it. :roll:

Bryan

Done and dusted.

Had a few to view yesterday, but after seeing the first one which is in perfect condition (in my opinion), I bought it. Hegner Multicut-1 single speed. It runs very quietly with virtually no vibration. If anything, the noise it makes only seems to come from the bellows. As for the slight vibration, I am sure that will disappear when I get it bolted to my workbench. The person I bought it from even gave me an old tin box filled with dozens of blades, massive variety of sizes and types, and extra clamps, etc. Very pleased. I'm extremely patient with all things I do, and love fiddly jobs, and am sure the saw will be fine for what I need. Thanx for the help.

Doug.

Doug.

I am certain you will be very pleased with your purchase.

Happy scroll sawing.

Take care.

Chris R.

Back