Heath Robinson Rip Guide for Circular Saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jelly

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a load of ripping to do over the coming evenings, and picked up a Circular Saw (Hitachi PSU-9) second hand today to save myself from doing it all by hand.

As with all second hand power tools, it came without all of the easily lost accessories including the ripping guide...

I will probably order a spare one online at some point, but could do with a more immediate solution, using a straight edge to run along is an idea, but given the foot of the saw is at least 6"wide, and most of what I'm ripping is less than that, it's going to be a right faff involving spacers between the workpieces and guide.

I've almost managed to produce what I need from an old butter knife, but it's too springy and probably too narrow. I am tempted to just weld something up from my box of drops from other projects, but the workshop is in woodworking mode at the moment, and it would be quite time consuming to get it sufficiently free of combustible materals to start grinding and
welding.

Any other ideas for a quick and dirty rip-guide?

Short length of 2x1 attached with a couple of screws and penny washers???

Cheers James

A cruder version of the jig shown could work well, I wouldn't be making anything so refined for a short term cludge though.

Short length of 2x1 attached with a couple of screws and penny washers???

Cheers James

I was aiming to avoid screwing into/through the baseplate as part of a short term fix if at all possible, but using penny washers to sandwich the baseplate without going through is a genius alternative.

Between the two suggestions I think there's a pretty workable solution.

Thanks!

No problem

Thanks for calling me a genius I'm currently printing it out to hang in the wall between my wifes many degrees.......lol

Cheers James

Back