Has my imac died?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But unintentionally or not, you have been very funny. Not quite in a ha ha way maybe but funny nonetheless. Good night, Dick.

I really enjoy being insulted (by someone quite unconnected) for trying to help someone. You go off and feel smug about yourself, eh?

Sleep well...

I haven't in any way denigrated your help for Dedee (who has a great moniker) - there is nothing not to respect in that.

You chose to take offence at a joke and describe it as sneering when even Roger, not a man to take himself too lightly, and a passionate Mac advocate to boot, took it in the spirit it was meant. You aren't earning a great deal of my respect for that aspect of this thread, but what the hell I'm clearly not earning yours either.

Shall we leave it there? They are all just computers. We all know that much, I hope.

Andy, rotten luck if it is terminal but look on the bright side - it's time to get an intel model already! One of the laptops is going to have more power than yours.

Just had a quick look on Ebay and there are various repair/replacements listed - certainly cheaper than $800; maybe something of use/help

Misterfish

waterhead37":1o6fc8ac said:
Andy, rotten luck if it is terminal but look on the bright side - it's time to get an intel model already! One of the laptops is going to have more power than yours.

That might be a good move. Especially through Refurbs.

No iMacs at the moment on the Uk site but they come and go.

One thought ...long shot...bit of a gamble. Buy a cheap secondhand one on eBay and replace the logic board yourself.

But I'd go for a new one. Go on...you know you want to.

waterhead37":21irnsvj said:

Chris, you are right of course, the sad thing is I really think that I do not need any extra power but that's progress I guess.

After Dick and his son pointed me towards the logic board ( is this what we used to call a motherboard?) I found this page on the Apple support site http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2094 so I will run through the diagnostics just in case. I'll then have to investigate replace or repair although I would like to stick with UK spec.

I've had 5 years of rouble free computing, no crashes, no viruses which I reckon to be good going.

cheers

Andy

I've just had the back off and been through the diagnostics has mentioned here http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2094

There was no sign of any damage to the resistors they are all, clean.

I then checked the 4 diagnostic leds. #1 & #2 came on, #3 did not and as I have the G5 ambient light sensor I cannot manually rest the SMU, this is reset automatically after being replugged. This confirms the logic board is duff.

I still have the leopard dvd in the optical disc drive & none of the methods mentioned in the Apple support pages will eject it? And ideas?

Cheers

Andy

wizer":2kzrgf1b said:
Good chance to get a PC, I'd say ;)

Absolutly Not

I see the price of the entry level iMac is identical (£969) as my G5 PPC 5 years ago with extra:- 1 ghz of processor, 2Gbs memory, 250gb disk and 4.5" on the screen. A bargain

Andy

Principally a PC user here, this may not apply. When a disc is stuck in the optical drive on the PC, the standard solution is a straightened paper clip inserted into a tiny hole in the front of the drive. Give it a good push and you will feel a release of tension as the mechanism is released. Said hole is normally very close to the disc tray. Best done with power off.

HTH

xy

Andy

Three suggestions for your machine from the web plus a how to remove the drive

You can try booting into open firmware and eject it before the system boots. Try this: turn you computer off. Then, turn it on via the power switch and hold down the keys: Command-Option-O-F

You will arrive at a command line at which point you type "eject cd" (without the quotation marks)

After the CD ejects, type "mac-boot"

I had success ejecting a stuck disc in my iMac G5 17-inch by putting the screen -- really the whole computer -- face down on my desk and then pressing the eject key. I think the weight, and gravity, helped align the disc better with the disc slot.

The first thing I tried is to insert the edge of a buisness card into the slot as it tries to eject the CD. You can feel something retract as the Mac tries to eject. The business card can hold that back for a couple of extra seconds which is enough to allow the stuck CDs to pop out.

However I have also just had a major 'sticky'. Since the iMac is out of warranty I decided to take the thing to bits and see how hard it is to get the disk out.

I've posted a photo documentry on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thornrise/ ... 107950297/

I'm not an engineer so this is just a common sense, have a go. Obviously I did this at my own risk. Removed the power cable. Earched myself. Avaoided touching the circuit board.

Anyway it took me about 15 minutes. Problem solved.

Good luck

Roger

Roger,
I've tried Command-Option-O-F no joy. tried also with the screen face down, upside down, sideways etc, still stuck. No joy with the visa card, amex card, cash card, NHS card or drving licence either.

It seems that removing the drive is quite straight forward and as it is looking increasing likely that I'll have to replace the whole iMac I am not too worried about damaging it. It would be useful to see your Flikr photos but I get the folloowing error "Ce n'est pas la page que vous cherchiez" or "this is not the page your qre looking for".

cheers

Andy

Back