Has my imac died?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
Help! My imac won't load.

While using safari earlier it froze while trying to download a pdf file. The spinning wheel appeared and I could not force quit or access any other application. I let the wheel spin for 30 mins then switched off.

When I switched on again I got the Bong but the screen stayed black and after 10 seconds the disk and or fan started to whirl very loudly. I tried again with the shift key held down (safe mode) but still only the bong, black screen and loud disc whirring noise.

I tried loading the leopard disc and held the "c" key, still the same response. I can't now eject the disc.

Does this sound terminal? Is there anything else I can try?

tia

Andy

Dick, I did had about 3 safari windows, with multiple tabs in each, open in the dock and a futher 3 open on the desktop also with multiple tabs in each and could well have been downloading two 1mb PDFs at the same time. Could I have overloading the memory?

Does it really need a doctor? Or could I replace memory myself?

Andy

I'm not sure. You really need a proper diagnostic.
It's unlikely that any software issue can cause a hardware fault, although the fan running at full speed suggests a failure of the temperature sensor to send its message to the CPU. That could be a fault in the sensor or the motherboard, or firmware. I once got that when there was a kernel panic.
Have you added any extra memory lately?

I've sent your message off to Apple, don't do anything until we get an answer!!

Dick,

thanks. I've not added any extra memory. It came supplied with 1gb?

Thanks for sending my woes to Apple. Who/where did you send it too? I was not aware that I could do that.

Andy

ps typing on a french laptop keyboard is a real PITA

You can't - my son is an ex Mac Genius, now working at the Cupertino headquarters...

But you could take it to an Apple store - not thick on the ground in Normandy, I suspect!

Dick Wow thanks again. I had to look up Cupertino :oops:

Only 2 mac stores in France, Paris and for some no doubt obscure reason Montpelier.

I'm serching pagesjaunes for revendeurs

Cheers

Qndy

Looks bad, I'm afraid. This is what he wrote:

No worries at all. Sorry to say, based on the behaviour it's exhibiting I think he may need a new logic board, there was a repair extension program for his model of G5 iMac, where they would have intermittent video/power issues, but that ran the customary 3 years, and expired in Dec '08 (his machine is from '05).

An easy way to confirm the problem, is to remove the back cover, and have a look at the resistors, if there's weird dung leaking out of them, he definitely needs a new logic board

There are 3 captive P2 Phillips screws on the underside of the iMac, if he puts it screen down on a table (preferably on top of a towel or soft cloth so it doesn't get scratched), he can just loosen all three screws, and then lift the foot of the iMac to open it. The back cover should be free/pull towards him at about 45°

Then to replace, just slot the top of the cover back into the tabs at 45°, etc. Not sure if there's anyone he can get to in rural France to swap out the board, but he's looking at about an $800 dollar part, plus labour, so it may be better to just pull out the hard drive, stick it in an enclosure, and replace the iMac.

I can advise on all of that too if he needs.

Hope this helps somewhat

There were some pictures, but I can't extract them. If you want them, PM your email address and I'll forward them.

I've emailed back to ask if the Apple Refurb Sales dept operates in France.

Dick,
pm sent

That is a great help even if the prognosis is not good. I'll have a poke around inside tomorrow to see what I can see.

If it is the logic board I wouldn'nt mind betting that $800 in the USA equates to about 800 euros in here.

Might be time to upgrade, especially as my bithday is coming. Everthing wass backed up last night to an ext drive so I am not concerned about keeping the disc if I do have to replace.

Andy

Dedee's machine may have gone bad, but it's older than the great majority of PCs.

Dunno why people have to assume a sneering attitude - can someone explain?

Back