Green belt land and planning permission

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Local Aurthorities have introduced the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL), which applies to development so of 100m2 or above. Around here this has stopped some developments going ahead as the cost can work out at £30k -£40k (the price per sqm varies).

It is very very difficult to obtain any form of planning consent on green belt. Land which has the opportunity for development usually gets into the hands of developers before it appears on the open market.

I think it is a shame that development seem to continue in villages and towns so it seems every gap suddenly springs a new property. I can't help thinking that if there is a housing shortage then green belt will need to be developed at some stage. I cant see though how to resolve the problem that some lucky landowner would then gain a fortune through having his agricultural land becoming designated for development. Of course NIMBYs always appear at the first hint of a new development on green belt (which is understandble), solving any housing is always going to be controversial.

The field is unfarmable due to location and access so it been rough grassland for many years.

A unique, advanced design of essential importance is required. Drawings on a fag packet please.

doctor Bob":3hpbgot3 said:
The field is unfarmable due to location and access so it been rough grassland for many years.

If the access to the site is difficult how would you access it to build then live there ? I ask because when I built my house the planners insisted that I showed where my intended access was in relation to the road also that I had at least one parking space for each bedroom and another space for visitors.
Good luck though Dr B, to be honest I'd walk away from a greenbelt site, there seems to be too many complications involved in an already complicated matter.

There was a Grand Design programme recently where somebody built a very "green" house in the Green Belt.
It had to comply with Section ?? With very strict construction and usage criteria. Had to score over 95?? to be allowed to live in it - if not achieved it had to be left empty!
They actually just managed it.

Harbo":pg9vkexg said:
There was a Grand Design programme recently where somebody built a very "green" house in the Green Belt.
It had to comply with Section ?? With very strict construction and usage criteria. Had to score over 95?? to be allowed to live in it - if not achieved it had to be left empty!
They actually just managed it.

Yea I saw that, very strict criteria to adhere to.
Quite liked it to be honest.

The only way you will find out is to ask the planning office. Also if you know the post code you can check online if any planning has been turned down.

wizard":1y5ez9pg said:
The only way you will find out is to ask the planning office. Also if you know the post code you can check online if any planning has been turned down.

That won't achieve anything. Discussing with a couple of planning consultants will be of more use.

Cheers, Paul

Sorry Paul but I don't agree with you. I'd go to a local planning clinic first and then see what they say before going down the planning consultant route.

RogerS":ihj7ayyy said:
Sorry Paul but I don't agree with you. I'd go to a local planning clinic first and then see what they say before going down the planning consultant route.

Hi Roger, my own experience is that planning departments are generally pre-programmed to be negative, or at best non-committal, on anything except the most straightforward and simple matters, they will quote you all the applicable policies and guidelines and then interpret them as to why they think they are unlikely to support an application, or give you a neutral/non-committal answer that leaves you none the wiser.

They will take 3 to 6 months to do this and charge several hundred pounds while stating at the end of it that they reserve the right to change their minds and decide something completely different if you choose to try and rely on their advice/opinion and spend £000's and another six to nine months on a subsequent actual application !

A planning consultant would know all the applicable policies and guidelines and how to interpret them and give guidance on whether you are likely to be able to achieve anything, what it is that you are likely to be able to achieve (if anything), and how to go about giving yourself the best chance of success.

Planning departments are in my experience generally reactive and negative while the consultants work for you and are proactive in their approach to finding solutions and ways forward. Chalk and cheese.

Having recently secured permission for back garden development after a couple of years of multiple planning applications I speak from some experience, but it may be others have had better experiences with other planning departments ! :D

Cheers, Paul

Interesting thread. The borough where I live is full of brownfield sites sitting empty. Yet at the end of my road there's a greenfield site that's having 380 homes built on it. The access is opposite a school on what is almost a country lane. The local council rejected the planning application, but it was appealed and eventually escallated up to Eric Pickles, and the fat **** approved it. So I guess if you want to a build a single house for your family you can't, but if you're Barretts you can do whatever you like :roll:

Paul, I agree with you re there starting position. However as far as costs go then I guess it depends on local councils as Herefordshire run free planning and building control clinics. So the first pass is zero cost.

Latest posts

Back