Leather honing belt for proedge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Povey

Reaction score
Is it worth getting a leather honing belt for the proedge? I already use the PE for my woodturning tools but I see that axminster sell a leather belt for their ultimate belt tool. I think it would also fit the PE. I would be using it to hone carving tools. I have been woodturning for a while now but just taking up wood carving very recently. Just after opinions. Ta

Very expensive one available for the Axminster machine which at least will turn in both directions. I opted to fit one of the 1" x30" belts on a small Warco belt sander machine. Again wrong direction and at 2850 rpm way faster than what i would like. My main use will be on Mora size blades, I may explore attaching leather to an old oscillating sander or multitool as I would feel safer.

Last edited:
I am thinking along the same lines as regarding mini belt sander. The one on the axminster site runs a 1 x 30 belt but doesn't say which direction it runs. Maybe either make the PE revers direction or get a mini belt sander and do the same. I had even thought about laying the PE bed down as far as it can go and turn the machine around!

I wonder if a short reverse polarity extension lead will work, another rainy day job to experiment. I bought a Pro edge for woodturning and am moving on to general edge sharpening, The Motam and Hewn & Hone jigs are great. On the mini the leather belts and metalworking belts from Super Strop on Amazon have just arrived so more experiments. If you turn the machine around you would need to work freehand and will find the speed can be a concern.

I may just get the mini belt and disc sander from axminster (or another cheap 1 x 30 belt sander and try to reverse direction on that ) I don't really want to start messing about with my PE. I do have the super strop 1 x 30 belt bookmarked ready. Can anyone can recommend a cheaper 1x 30 belt sander in the UK?

UK mains is AC
Thanks for that Rhossyd, I have looked on some US carving sites that have suggestions for more experiments including speed reduction. This morning brought an Amazon package for the 1" belt sander with a very quick to clip on angle table. Search:

Knife Sharpening Angle Guide fits 1X30 Belt Sander with Assorted 5 Pack of 1X30 Sharpening Sanding Belts​

Brand: Super Strop

I think a system will evolve where some tasks are done with a Pro Edge and others with the mini belt. Set up time with belt and tool rest changes are a major factor, Working from the other side of the machine is my go-to as my grinder stand is outdoors.

Last edited:
I agree wrt a leather strop, I just lay it on the float glass 'shelf' atop a 120-grit carborundum sheet glued to it for 2nd grind when sharpening - other side is 80-grit.
Plenty flat enough for honing an edge, albeit I rarely use it as my usual sequence of 80-120-320-1600 grits leaves a near mirror finish and good enough to shave with etc.

Back